Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano Roll2 and Drambo - parameter recording without the incoming notes

Hi!
I just started playing with the new Atom piano Roll 2, and I got stuck with the following problem:

I have Atom Piano Roll triggering Drambo on AUM. So far so good. Now to my question. To simplify it let's consider one instrument in Drambo, and APR having a 4 bar loop recorded. The question is how can I automate a parameter (p-lock) in Drambo without recording the incoming midi notes triggered by APR at the same time. What I am getting is that Drambo will record the midi notes coming from APR while recording the p-lock, and to make matters worse, it starts building up chords (for instance if Drambo is set to one bar and APR is set for 4 bars). I do understand that I could set Drambo to have the same number of bars as APR, but this kind of kills the flow. I even wouldn't mind that automation is repeated for each bar (as in the previous example where Drambo is set to 1 bar and APR to 4), rather than recording a melody to APR, then setting the right number of bars in Drambo, then recording those bars from ATR to Drambo, and just now being able to record automation).

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Comments

• I have Atom Piano Roll triggering Drambo on AUM

Did you realise you can also load Atom2 directly into Drambo?

The question is how can I automate a parameter (p-lock) in Drambo without recording the incoming midi notes triggered by APR at the same time

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking about this...

Here is my first suggested workaround. I will probably think of more (maybe better ones) later...

• Turn off looping in Atom2 so that drambo records the 4 bar loop only once. then you can decide whether to keep the Drambo version of the MIDI, or else delete the notes but leave the p-locks in place and go back to using Atom2 to trigger the notes.
  • @tk32 said:

I have Atom Piano Roll triggering Drambo on AUM

Did you realise you can also load Atom2 directly into Drambo?

The question is how can I automate a parameter (p-lock) in Drambo without recording the incoming midi notes triggered by APR at the same time

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking about this...

Here is my first suggested workaround. I will probably think of more (maybe better ones) later...

• Turn off looping in Atom2 so that drambo records the 4 bar loop only once. then you can decide whether to keep the Drambo version of the MIDI, or else delete the notes but leave the p-locks in place and go back to using Atom2 to trigger the notes.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I had forgotten about the option to place Atom2 inside Drambo. That way it works perfectly. BUT I cannot do it on AUM (I get a message saying I can only place an audio unit midi processor on standalone mode only).

The work around is not a bad idea (it is actually pretty good), but I would love it if there was a way to avoid the Drambo sequencer altogether. I think Drambo is amazing and one of the best apps I have, but I find the sequencer to be my limiting step when trying to do something fast. I find it slightly cumbersome when having to correct something (change a note length or a note position), compared to a piano roll type of sequencer like Atom2 has (where you can just drag a note around, or drag the tail of the note to change its length). Oh, and by the way, I cannot find a way to delete the notes but leave the p-locks in Drambo (at least inside AUM). I know how to do the opposite (clear the p-locks not the notes)

In any case, I hope this does not sound like a complaint, it is not that big of a deal. I guess my issue is that I still cannot get used to the step sequencer Drambo has.

But thanks again @tk32, your first suggestion works very well on the standalone version of Drambo, so I can always do it that way when needed :smiley:

• Wow, does Drambo hosts Atom 2? It's mean that Drambo could have piano roll?

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Wow, does Drambo hosts Atom 2? It's mean that Drambo could have piano roll?

It does! But only in standalone. Still pretty sweet :smiley:

• I have a noob question if it’s ok. I just installed APR2 and it’s not a dark background, Logic sort of look like all the screenshots and videos I’ve seen. Mine is this awful hard to see all white version. It’s awful and I can’t find anyway to change the skin.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@smokinjoe45 said:
    I have a noob question if it’s ok. I just installed APR2 and it’s not a dark background, Logic sort of look like all the screenshots and videos I’ve seen. Mine is this awful hard to see all white version. It’s awful and I can’t find anyway to change the skin.

Atom 2 follows the iOS dark/light mode settings. Right now you have to switch your device to dark mode to get the dark skin.

Hopefully that changes in the future. There is also a way to skin the app using the app's CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) support, but that's probably a bit complicated for most people unless they've done web site design.

I have my iOS devices set up so that triple-clicking the home button switches between dark and light mode. Most of the time I'm in dark mode, but some apps don't work well with dark mode on.

• I’ve heard it on good authority that sometime soon we’ll be free to select which theme we want regardless of iOS system settings.

There may also be a few more themes to select a default choice from.

• Thanks for the help!