Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elastic Drums or something similar?

I watched a few videos and really like the sounds that we’re coming out of this drum synth. The closest sounds I get are from Ruismaker FM.

Would you recommend it or is there something that’s AU that can get the same type of sounds.

The sequencing is less important than the sound design capabilities.

Comments

• For infinite depth and options I would recommend Drambo, for quick gratification DrumComputer.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    For infinite depth and options I would recommend Drambo, for quick gratification DrumComputer.

I have Drambo already but find it quite tricky, DrumComputer looks good! Thanks!

• ElasticDrums is great but in a world of auv3 it has a hard time getting use IMO.
    If you’re good with drambo that’s always a great thing, drum computer is the most flexible on the market but it destroys your cpu so it’s hard to use.
    Patterning 2 is my favorite drum app, it’s not auv3 either but for some reason I’m ok with it and the export audio works great. However it is sample based.
    That being said i find myself using poly 2 almost always for drums. It is patterning like, in an auv3 , sample based and lighter on cpu.

• @reasOne said:
    ElasticDrums is great but in a world of auv3 it has a hard time getting use IMO.
    If you’re good with drambo that’s always a great thing, drum computer is the most flexible on the market but it destroys your cpu so it’s hard to use.
    Patterning 2 is my favorite drum app, it’s not auv3 either but for some reason I’m ok with it and the export audio works great. However it is sample based.
    That being said i find myself using poly 2 almost always for drums. It is patterning like, in an auv3 , sample based and lighter on cpu.

Lol I’m bad with Drambo unfortunately. Yeah I could see it not getting much use as a drum sequencer with it only being IAA, patterning is excellent though! Not sure if Patterning 2 is worth getting if I have the first one.

Yeah I’m not really looking for sample based as I’m just wanting a flexible drum synth for creating some interesting snappy sounds.

I see both Elastic Drums and DrumComputer have 8 synth engines for sculpting sound. ED is cheaper but has IAP, while DC is a bit more for the full version... decisions.

• @Keenan said:

@reasOne said:
    ElasticDrums is great but in a world of auv3 it has a hard time getting use IMO.

Lol I’m bad with Drambo unfortunately. Yeah I could see it not getting much use as a drum sequencer with it only being IAA, patterning is excellent though! Not sure if Patterning 2 is worth getting if I have the first one.

Yeah I’m not really looking for sample based as I’m just wanting a flexible drum synth for creating some interesting snappy sounds.

I see both Elastic Drums and DrumComputer have 8 synth engines for sculpting sound. ED is cheaper but has IAP, while DC is a bit more for the full version... decisions.

Drum computer!
    Modern, get updates, and you can really dig into sound design to create anything you can imagine

• I love ED despite its shortcomings. The Mouse on Mars ancestry is definitely there, the output tends left field, at least with me. On aspect that gets overlooked sometimes is that you can sequence all exposed synth parameters as well as the four very good effects engines, Kaoss style.
    To me Elastic Drums is its own thing. If your workflow is geared more towards an AUv3 based modular approach it isn’t going to play very nice with that.

I second @reasOne n recommending Poly 2.

• @reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!
    Modern, get updates, and you can really dig into sound design to create anything you can imagine

I just saw it’s AUv3 too! I’m gonna download it anyway to try out since it’s free (not sure what the limitations of the free version are?). Exciting!

Possible purchase number 4 in 2 days lol! Just got Mononoke, Kosmonaut and Gauss. Probably gonna get Koala Sampler too.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    I love ED despite its shortcomings. The Mouse on Mars ancestry is definitely there, the output tends left field, at least with me. On aspect that gets overlooked sometimes is that you can sequence all exposed synth parameters as well as the four very good effects engines, Kaoss style.
    To me Elastic Drums is its own thing. If your workflow is geared more towards an AUv3 based modular approach it isn’t going to play very nice with that.

I second @reasOne n recommending Poly 2.

Are you saying that Elastic Drums has more automation recording than DrumComputer?

• Not sure if this fits the bill, but I’m a big fan of Axon 2.

• @jblock said:
    Not sure if this fits the bill, but I’m a big fan of Axon 2.

I’ve been eyeing Axon 2 since it came out. Would you get it over Elastic Drums or DrumComputer?

I really like the sounds from Axon 2. Can it be triggered via midi as opposed to the internal sequencer?

• @Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

I just saw it’s AUv3 too! I’m gonna download it anyway to try out since it’s free (not sure what the limitations of the free version are?). Exciting!

Possible purchase number 4 in 2 days lol! Just got Mononoke, Kosmonaut and Gauss. Probably gonna get Koala Sampler too.

Be careful, the rabbit hole of getting apps can be dangerous😂
    Drumcomputer is awesome, so many possibilities to make patterns and kits. Poly2 is free in standalone mode and definitely fun. Got it recommended by @reasOne

• @Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Drumcomputer is awesome, so many possibilities to make patterns and kits. Poly2 is free in standalone mode and definitely fun. Got it recommended by @reasOne

The rabbit hole is endless! Haha i have almost every app i want but i still want more 🤣

• @Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Haha yeah it’s like junk food, just one more! I’ve gotten quite a lot of apps in the past and didn’t get anything new for over a year.. I honestly thought all the cool apps had already been made, but I was wrong.

I’ve also discovered a few that I didn’t think I’d like that much are actually exactly my sort of thing. I guess it’s a great thing that iOS music apps are affordable so we can try out and find what works for us.

• @reasOne said:

@Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

The rabbit hole is endless! Haha i have almost every app i want but i still want more 🤣

It’s kinda like a virtual toy box for adults, gotta get all the toys to play with lol! I’m hoping that I’ll actually record some stuff one of these days.

• @reasOne said:

@Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

😂 controlling myself isn’t my strength 😬😂

• @Keenan said:

@Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Haha yeah it’s like junk food, just one more! I’ve gotten quite a lot of apps in the past and didn’t get anything new for over a year.. I honestly thought all the cool apps had already been made, but I was wrong.

I’ve also discovered a few that I didn’t think I’d like that much are actually exactly my sort of thing. I guess it’s a great thing that iOS music apps are affordable so we can try out and find what works for us.

Oh yes indeed we can be happy having access to all this little gems on this plattform😊

• @Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

The limitations are the AUv3 plug-in (you won’t get that until you purchase), and the amount of included presets.

Drum Computer is amazing, but, you have to have to have a lot of patience if you’re planning on designing your own drum sounds. The full version comes with approximately 1,365,832 preset sounds from all kinds of users, developers, and preset makers... but NONE of them are going to be the sounds you want. At least that’s my experience with it.

Start with a KICK for example, you can go through all the preset “kits” or just cycle through the Kick category and find one that’s close, then you can edit it to your taste. Or the randomize buttons that are available will give you a random sound every time. You’ll be here for a while, going through “kick” sounds like a cat sneezing, or an elephant farting, or a piece of paper being torn... nope, hit “randomize” a couple more times, now we have the sound of someone hitting a chain link fence with a baseball bat (Chang) or next, the same bat on grandma’s China cabinet (smash!) nope, that’s not it.. (randomize again) ah here we go, Thup, thuz, thud, THUD! There we go, now we have our KICK sound...

Now we can move on to the next part; Hi Hats! (The first sound that comes up will be someone stepping on that cat’s tail btw)

Drum Computer is a drum synthesizer , if you keep that in mind it will go a long way in helping to understand the sounds coming from it.

If you’re not into designing your own drum sounds, I’d look at something else that already has amazing drum sounds included. I like AudioKit’s 909 for this.

• Another vote for Poly 2.

• Elastic drums. Will probably buy the other ipad if I think the loop length function and voice adjustment is always needed on screen ( so a drum machine closet to a drumbrute impact for example ) Thats sort of been the con on ios. Even though another ipad is versatile. Imagine just using it for elastic drums. Maybe £300 + on another ipad. cck. zoom u44 and power.Spdif cable. A faderfox pc 12 and a nanokey. About £1000 for drums. Drambo has the eclidean sequencer now. Just waiting for decent rolls and good sounds or maybe an app that can be sequenced by drambo but be a single screen plus multi out audio.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

The limitations are the AUv3 plug-in (you won’t get that until you purchase), and the amount of included presets.

Drum Computer is amazing, but, you have to have to have a lot of patience if you’re planning on designing your own drum sounds. The full version comes with approximately 1,365,832 preset sounds from all kinds of users, developers, and preset makers... but NONE of them are going to be the sounds you want. At least that’s my experience with it.

Start with a KICK for example, you can go through all the preset “kits” or just cycle through the Kick category and find one that’s close, then you can edit it to your taste. Or the randomize buttons that are available will give you a random sound every time. You’ll be here for a while, going through “kick” sounds like a cat sneezing, or an elephant farting, or a piece of paper being torn... nope, hit “randomize” a couple more times, now we have the sound of someone hitting a chain link fence with a baseball bat (Chang) or next, the same bat on grandma’s China cabinet (smash!) nope, that’s not it.. (randomize again) ah here we go, Thup, thuz, thud, THUD! There we go, now we have our KICK sound...

Now we can move on to the next part; Hi Hats! (The first sound that comes up will be someone stepping on that cat’s tail btw)

Drum Computer is a drum synthesizer , if you keep that in mind it will go a long way in helping to understand the sounds coming from it.

If you’re not into designing your own drum sounds, I’d look at something else that already has amazing drum sounds included. I like AudioKit’s 909 for this.

Haha that was great! I just downloaded the free version of DrumComputer and have been playing around for a while.

I’m not that interested in presets really and I want as many sound sculpting abilities as possible so a synth is prefect. I like to use drum synths to create my own game sound effects and I’ve mostly been using Ruismaker FM.

One thing I’ve noticed is that Elastic Drums seems to have extra (13) types of synthesis like granular, drone etc and not just wavetable, fm and sample. I’m not sure what the parameters are since it doesn’t show that much on the AppStore images.

Am I right in thinking there are more sound design possibilities within Elastic Drums? And if so, what IAPs do I have to purchase to unlock what I need? (Not presets)

• @Keenan said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Haha that was great! I just downloaded the free version of DrumComputer and have been playing around for a while.

I’m not that interested in presets really and I want as many sound sculpting abilities as possible so a synth is prefect. I like to use drum synths to create my own game sound effects and I’ve mostly been using Ruismaker FM.

One thing I’ve noticed is that Elastic Drums seems to have extra (13) types of synthesis like granular, drone etc and not just wavetable, fm and sample. I’m not sure what the parameters are since it doesn’t show that much on the AppStore images.

Am I right in thinking there are more sound design possibilities within Elastic Drums? And if so, what IAPs do I have to purchase to unlock what I need? (Not presets)

Y’know, I’m not really sure. I have ElasticDrums but I’ve never really used it. A quick look shows a lot of sound design options, but I think Drum Computer has a lot more.

Any Elastic Drum users want to chime in on this?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Y’know, I’m not really sure. I have ElasticDrums but I’ve never really used it. A quick look shows a lot of sound design options, but I think Drum Computer has a lot more.

Sound design sb will have way more and Drambo has more in the ways of p-locks and now euclidean ( also sound design ) Hoping to find a way to use sequence sb via drambo per track and multi audio so effects are per track. Elastic I think is more like a hardware drum if used with another ipad. Otherwise you ma as well just use sb or Drambo but elastic is quick at copying patterns. Even the rolls in elastic would need midi ( so you can still tweak synths etc on screen ) Id maybe map turnado to most elastic drums to a faderfox. It would offer sort of more sound design live. Think of elastic drums on many patterns to sort of have a psuedo p locks. Not like drambo with probabilty on p locks and not even like a volca drum with probabilty per step but I guess more similar to a drumbrute impact. Where you could simply adjust the tone of each shape when playing live but with a bit of recorded automation even the drumbrute dosent have.

• @Nathi94 said:

@reasOne said:

@Nathi94 said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

😂 controlling myself isn’t my strength 😬😂

LOL like wise, not my best attribute

• @Keenan said:

@jblock said:
    Not sure if this fits the bill, but I’m a big fan of Axon 2.

I’ve been eyeing Axon 2 since it came out. Would you get it over Elastic Drums or DrumComputer?

I really like the sounds from Axon 2. Can it be triggered via midi as opposed to the internal sequencer?

According to Audio Damage: "MIDI in and out, for driving Axon from DAW and hardware sequencers, or driving your drum rack or other samples from Axon."

I don't own either Drum Computer or Elastic Drums, but Drum Computer seems to offer the deepest ability to tweak the sounds. Elastic Drums seems pretty flexible too.

Isn't the answer always, "buy them all?!"

• I understand that you don’t get along with Drambo but if you wanted quick results you could do worse than browse the few drum patches at patchstorage.com and just mess around with them. To me ED is a great app but the sound always left me cold, it’s always sounded overly pasty to me.
    Drambo doesn’t have automation so you’d have to use p locks that can be either input by step or just tweaking knobs when the rec is on. Not hard at all 😜😇

https://patchstorage.com/drumex-1000-light-n-easy/

https://patchstorage.com/lowbit-kid-drumkit/

https://patchstorage.com/tomlj-rs2000-1-track-pony-supadom-version/

https://patchstorage.com/dr-ambo-drum-synthesizer/

• Elastic drums. Starts off bad but near end you can remake a beat. So its kind of fun. Will practice to see how good it can get or if its novelty. Only just mapped a faderfox to turnados and rolls to a nanokey.

Which it had fast probabilty but it has loop lengths.

• Elastic Drum has always been the best for experimental sounds. The sound design possibilities are crazy and endless. if you like Ruismaker FM, you'll really like ED. It feels better setup to mess with all the parameters than Drum Computer, all the parameters and controls are right there, front and center. That's the focus of the app. And the automation is cool ..recording all the knob adjustments.. and the fx have their own automation window.
    And no, you don't have to buy any IAP's to be able to do everything. The only IAP that's really necessary to open up the capabilities of the app is Sample Import. But it doesn't sound like you'd use that that much.
    And not sure how many types of synthesis it has but it feels more varied than Drum Computer..which feels very FM-y. What @Intrepolicious said is exactly on point. And with the parameters, it depends, cuz they change based on what kind of sound is loaded and what synthesis is being used.

• @sigma79 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

@Keenan said:

@reasOne said:

Drum computer!

Sound design sb will have way more and Drambo has more in the ways of p-locks and now euclidean ( also sound design ) Hoping to find a way to use sequence sb via drambo per track and multi audio so effects are per track. Elastic I think is more like a hardware drum if used with another ipad. Otherwise you ma as well just use sb or Drambo but elastic is quick at copying patterns. Even the rolls in elastic would need midi ( so you can still tweak synths etc on screen ) Id maybe map turnado to most elastic drums to a faderfox. It would offer sort of more sound design live. Think of elastic drums on many patterns to sort of have a psuedo p locks. Not like drambo with probabilty on p locks and not even like a volca drum with probabilty per step but I guess more similar to a drumbrute impact. Where you could simply adjust the tone of each shape when playing live but with a bit of recorded automation even the drumbrute dosent have.

Not quite probability but you can use Lfo in Turnado to simulate probability. Random step and glide as well as user sequencer wave (the last at the bottom). I often find Turnado to be the best tool live as opposed to fiddly programming with varying degree of success and not always pleasant to the ear.

• @BitterGums said:
    Elastic Drum has always been the best for experimental sounds. The sound design possibilities are crazy and endless. if you like Ruismaker FM, you'll really like ED. It feels better setup to mess with all the parameters than Drum Computer, all the parameters and controls are right there, front and center. That's the focus of the app. And the automation is cool ..recording all the knob adjustments.. and the fx have their own automation window.
    And no, you don't have to buy any IAP's to be able to do everything. The only IAP that's really necessary to open up the capabilities of the app is Sample Import. But it doesn't sound like you'd use that that much.
    And not sure how many types of synthesis it has but it feels more varied than Drum Computer..which feels very FM-y. What @Intrepolicious said is exactly on point. And with the parameters, it depends, cuz they change based on what kind of sound is loaded and what synthesis is being used.

Thanks yeah I pulled the trigger and got ElasticDrums yesterday and it’s exactly what I was looking for! It’s like Ruismaker FM on crack and the easy automation recording add so many sound shaping abilities on the fly. I downloaded DrumComputer too and it’s great too but although there are a ton of knobs to tweak it seems to rely a lot on mixing between a few “oscillators” to get each hit.

I might get the future synths IAP and the Sample import IAP. Although I don’t use samples as much, the sample adjustments look a bit more flexible than Koala which I just bought. I think with the automation recording it could add something else to mangle those samples in conjunction with Koala.

I also just bought Axon2 which I’m having a bit of fun with. Good for some rhythm while live jamming in AUM.