Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Light Painter App CamTrails

edited February 2021 in Other

Hey,

I've beta tested a new app for a little bit. I really like this dev's other app FotoDa and was happy to test out a new one.

I bought the IAP as well at $2.99, but you can pretty much do most things with the app in the free version. The IAP gets you a couple of extra functions and removes the watermark.

To be honest, I find the interface maddening. It just doesn't work like I intuitively want it to, but the dev has his way of working with it and so be it.

That said, once you sort of work your way around how the app works and adapt to a comfortable flow, you can get some really interesting abstract effects.

It's sort of one of those apps where you have to interact with it a good deal, fail a lot, then get some gems that you probably couldn't have got any other way. It's really creative fun.

It's just still images though.

You basically light paint with slow shutter speed, can stop, point to something else and continue light trailing/painting somewhere else in the frame. You can also kind of stamp down layered still frames mixed in or by themselves. There's a screen to change the way the layer effects are handled, and there's a function that automatically makes the camera do little circular motions.

Again, I find the interface fairly frustrating at times, but I still love what you can do with it just the same.

I used a few apps on this last night, but the source photographic part was done with CamTrails - Light Painter yesterday evening

It's universal and free with a $2.99 IAP if you dig it like I do.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/camtrails-light-painter/id1547281692

Comments

• Thanks! I like FotoDA.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Thanks! I like FotoDA.

I do too. :) He’s working on an update but I don’t know what that’ll entail.

• I bought fotoda a couple of years ago. It was recently “updated” with all the functions (I had already paid for) locked down under an IAP. Nah I wouldn’t support this dev.

• @ChrisG said:
    I bought fotoda a couple of years ago. It was recently “updated” with all the functions (I had already paid for) locked down under an IAP. Nah I wouldn’t support this dev.

If you're talking about the watermark... I think that was a mistake and he then updated again where you don't have to pay the IAP again.

I've only been using fotoda for a few months though.

• @skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:
    I bought fotoda a couple of years ago. It was recently “updated” with all the functions (I had already paid for) locked down under an IAP. Nah I wouldn’t support this dev.

If you're talking about the watermark... I think that was a mistake and he then updated again where you don't have to pay the IAP again.

I mean all the same functions that you had in the paid app, were moved behind a new IAP.

• @ChrisG said:

@skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:

I mean all the same functions that you had in the paid app, were moved behind a new IAP.

Well... that's not cool. I got it when it was free.

That said... FotoDa is such a great app for me... that I hate to say it, but I'd likely just look the other way.

Have you tried sending him an email? He seems pretty reasonable.

• @skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:

@skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:

That said... FotoDa is such a great app for me... that I hate to say it, but I'd likely just look the other way.

I just went ahead and paid the IAP against better judgement as I was using the app right when the update hit. Left an appropriate review in the AppStore. The proper way for him to do it would’ve been to make a separate V2 app, but I couldn’t be arsed to reach out to the dev so..:/.

• @ChrisG said:

@skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:

@skiphunt said:

@ChrisG said:

I just went ahead and paid the IAP against better judgement as I was using the app right when the update hit. Left an appropriate review in the AppStore. The proper way for him to do it would’ve been to make a separate V2 app, but I couldn’t be arsed to reach out to the dev so..:/.

I paid the IAP because I got the app when it was on sale for free. I've got A LOT of use out of it. He's also got a "Pro" version that he may or may not release. It's running as a web app now. Personally, I like the simplicity of the current iPad version. I can say that I've definitely got much more than my $2.99 (or whatever it was) out of it. More so than any other app I downloaded in 2020.

Maybe you could at least get a redeem code for the current CamTrails app iAP since you already paid the other one just before he updated it?

The new one is a bit frustrating, but it's also pretty unique and great for experimental imaging.

I think he's got a day job, so the app stuff is more for his own artistic endeavors.

I'm not pals with him or anything. I've had several email exchanges related to feedback on a couple beta apps, but I'm mostly just thrilled he's making unusual apps. I've done layer effects for more than a decade. I used to spend evening trying out every possible combination of effects and images that I could think of. FotoDa made what used to take me several hours of experimentation... only take a few minutes now. For that alone... I'm happy to pay for whatever he releases.

The CamTrails app is pretty cool as is, but it just seems like it needs a couple tweaks to the interface for better control and creative flow.