Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoOboe jam with Tiny Desk globalFest

Just some fun jamming along on GeoOboe. I also jammed along with other GeoSWAM instruments but this was the one that was least terrible.

Comments

• Oboe authenticity tips - The oboe reed has a minimum air pressure threshold before it will ‘speak’, so there tends to be an abrupt start to notes that start from silence. The tonguing technique is to make a ‘t’ or ‘d’ into the reed in order to set the note going. It’s almost impossible to fade in from silence, so most oboists avoid it. Vibrato - oboes sound horrible without it, most oboists don’t play for more than a second before applying vibrato.

• edited January 2021

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Oboe authenticity tips - The oboe reed has a minimum air pressure threshold before it will ‘speak’, so there tends to be an abrupt start to notes that start from silence. The tonguing technique is to make a ‘t’ or ‘d’ into the reed in order to set the note going. It’s almost impossible to fade in from silence, so most oboists avoid it. Vibrato - oboes sound horrible without it, most oboists don’t play for more than a second before applying vibrato.

I was just jamming along to unwind for the evening. Soreness in the elbow and shoulder prevented me from jamming on guitar or violin instead. Last second decision between using GeoOboe and GeoFlute.

Thank you for watching and taking the time to offer your advice.

• edited January 2021

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Oboe authenticity tips - The oboe reed has a minimum air pressure threshold before it will ‘speak’, so there tends to be an abrupt start to notes that start from silence. The tonguing technique is to make a ‘t’ or ‘d’ into the reed in order to set the note going. It’s almost impossible to fade in from silence, so most oboists avoid it. Vibrato - oboes sound horrible without it, most oboists don’t play for more than a second before applying vibrato.

This music influenced how I approach GeoOboe. She does seem to follow the rule of always vibrato within 1 second of starting. However, not every note has a sharp attack. I do hear some swells with barely perceptible, unless I'm not hearing something right?

• edited January 2021

Lovely piece. In an orchestral or group context such as this the oboe is probably being played louder than it seems and the levels are lowered in the recording process. Using a soft reed can allow quieter playing, but then you have trouble with louder parts as the reed can clamp shut under strong breath pressure. I’m not saying a good player can’t give fading in a go, but it’s difficult and unpredictable, so it tends to be rarely used. The upshot of that is that when simulating an oboe part, fading in a lot of notes will detract from the illusion as it’s not the signature sound of the instrument. In case you’re wondering, I played oboe from the age of 10, it got me into music college. I wasn’t an amazing player, but I was expressive and had a good tone.

• Good to hear from you @GovernorSilver. So you play violin as well. Hope the elbow gets better fast.
    @TheOriginalPaulB, an oboist! And it got you into college. Well, that’s an accomplishment, for sure.

• @TheOriginalPaulB thank you for the further info and clarification. I had suspected that your comments could only come from a person with oboe playing experience.

@LinearLineman Thank you as well. I believe my golfer's elbow originated from supporting the iPad on my left arm while practicing GeoShred stuff, then was exacerbated by exercise with heavy (for me) load, particularly bicep curls. The night after I recorded that video, I tried playing violin again and felt fine as long as I kept pressure on the strings as light as possible. I took some lessons on viola under Suzuki Method, but otherwise don't consider myself to be a classical violist. I got a 5-string electric violin after struggling with feedback on acoustic viola in my friend's rock band. She initially recruited me to be her band's lead guitarist, but after hearing me play viola, she asked me to switch to viola, despite being quite aware of my low skill level on that instrument. She has an unshakeable faith in my ability keep improving my intonation and tone for her music.

There's no way I'll ever fool a real oboist with GeoOboe, although I am very grateful for the tips. I'm learning and practicing lines played on oboe, trumpet, euphonium, etc. to improve my understanding of how players shape a note using dynamics (envelope), vibrato, etc. to achieve emotional effects on the part of the listener. The oboist in the Liz and the Blue Bird clip had previously gotten feedback from teachers and band mates about her playing lacking emotion. When she finally unleashes her full power on the instrument, teachers' jaws are dropping and some bandmates are reduced to tears. So it's interesting to contrast her before and after playing.

• edited January 2021

Sir Thomas Beecham described the oboe as “an ill wind that nobody blows any good.”

• I can relate.

I don't like a lot of nonclassical violin playing - especially in jazz - because most of the players use an excessive amount of vibrato. It's like pouring too much sugar into my tea.

• @TheOriginalPaulB Sorry to be picky but I’m pretty sure that quote is from a James Bond book (Felix Leiter?) and it’s about the clarinet, not the oboe.

Anyway, the oboe and cor anglais are two of my favourite instruments so it can’t be right.

:smile:

• edited January 2021

@qryss You’re right to be picky, I was wrong about Sir Thomas. You may also be right about Felix Leiter, I don’t know, but I’ve found a couple of references online that attribute the quote to Bennet Cerf in 1952. He was talking about the oboe, though.

I also love the oboe and cor anglais, but I’ve heard some very strident players. Oboes require a lot of reining in with ombouchure control to make a pleasant sound. You can’t just blow down them and hope for the best.