Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I finished my Jambo! (DIY scene/morph controller for Drambo)

A while ago I saw this post and video and immediately jumped for a PDF build guide for "Jambo" from @orchid. I love Drambo and the hardware version of the crossfader makes it feel even more like an overpowered Octatrack.

It took me a while to build this--I am a circuitry noob and bought all the wrong components at first... but @orchid was SUPER helpful and patient with me and provided a lot of guidance. I am probably going to make a short timelapse of putting it together, but for now here is a demo:

Comments

• What a beauty!

• ðŸĪĐðŸĪŠ YAAAAA this is so cool!! I'm so glad you're getting some use out of it. Love the track!

Thanks for the shout out and the epic video. The pattern changer is a great touch.

• Very cool! Buuut, why is the case so big? Did you have an extra gingerbread house?

• edited January 2021

For anyone who already owns one of these $69 DJ style controllers (Hercules Starlight in my case) and not so much into DIYing, it can be mapped to support fast scene switching like this (one of many examples):

Make sure you map the "left" and "right" buttons as momentary. You can then switch scenes by holding either the left or right button and hitting one of the pads. I've mapped left+pad to scenes A, B, C, D and right+pad to scenes E, F, G, H. It can't get much faster than that.
    That's possible because the hardware supports many different modes and depending on which buttons you press in combination, it sends different MIDI controllers. In fact you have a total of 64 pads available for mapping.

I also recommend to map the "Bass/Filter" knobs to independent LP and HP filters controlled by the same MIDI CC in Drambo for bass cut and treble cut like on typical DJ mixers. Fun for live tweaking.

PS: You knew that you can map the scratch wheels to Flexi in order to scratch your own samples, didn't you? 😉

• awesome ! great jam too! thanks for sharing

• @rs2000 said:
    For anyone who already owns one of these $69 DJ style controllers (Hercules Starlight in my case) and not so much into DIYing, it can be mapped to support fast scene switching like this (one of many examples):

Make sure you map the "left" and "right" buttons as momentary. You can then switch scenes by holding either the left or right button and hitting one of the pads. I've mapped left+pad to scenes A, B, C, D and right+pad to scenes E, F, G, H. It can't get much faster than that.
    That's possible because the hardware supports many different modes and depending on which buttons you press in combination, it sends different MIDI controllers. In fact you have a total of 64 pads available for mapping.

I also recommend to map the "Bass/Filter" knobs to independent LP and HP filters controlled by the same MIDI CC in Drambo for bass cut and treble cut like on typical DJ mixers. Fun for live tweaking.

PS: You knew that you can map the scratch wheels to Flexi in order to scratch your own samples, didn't you? 😉

How is using 2 ipads ( say Drambo ) to seperate mixer channels, so you can lower level and loads next patches/song so it dosent affect audio of other ipad? Think I tried beat matching drambos on same ipad. Wasnt that great. Wouldnt want to buy a ipad instead of another air 3 if this could good but wouldnt bother if its just a niche theory. Obviously it would be cool if it were almost like a media player but making tracks as you go.

• Nice Job dude! So making your own drambo controller is a 'thing'?! Amazing, that is really cool and I will put it on the radar for an attempt. That looks hard to do was is Arduino? Not that its easy but alot of the DIY is seeming to be raspberry or Arduino ( im just learning )
    Cheers!

• @sigma79 said:

@rs2000 said:

How is using 2 ipads ( say Drambo ) to seperate mixer channels, so you can lower level and loads next patches/song so it dosent affect audio of other ipad? Think I tried beat matching drambos on same ipad. Wasnt that great. Wouldnt want to buy a ipad instead of another air 3 if this could good but wouldnt bother if its just a niche theory. Obviously it would be cool if it were almost like a media player but making tracks as you go.

You can perfectly sync 2 Drambo AUv3 instances with host transport if you enable host sync in the metronome menu.

You can also sync two different iDevices with each Drambo using Ableton LINK over WiFi.

• Thanks everyone :)

@Liquidmantis said:
    Very cool! Buuut, why is the case so big? Did you have an extra gingerbread house?

Haha -- Honestly it was the only box I had around that fit. I plan to 3D print a plastic case when the public library opens up its fab lab again some day, and make it about half the size. But I also have a LOT of wires flying around under the hood because, tbh, I'm not advanced enough of a DIY'er to make it more elegant:

@oceansinspace said:
    Nice Job dude! So making your own drambo controller is a 'thing'?! Amazing, that is really cool and I will put it on the radar for an attempt. That looks hard to do was is Arduino? Not that its easy but alot of the DIY is seeming to be raspberry or Arduino ( im just learning )

Yeah i's an Arduino project - luckily @orchid did all of the coding already and provided me the files when I got the build guide from him. It will just work, if you use the same parts as him. I added a TINY bit of code to his design to add the 4x4 matrix of buttons to the same chip (his design leaves a few pins available) , but I have very limited experience with Arduino and/or C++ or whatever, and I was able to do it with some patience (and several failed attempts).

It's so easy to map hardware to Drambo like @rs2000's example -- you could build/customize/adapt a zillion different controllers - just depends on how you use the app! And whether you prefer to spend hours soldering or not ;)

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@Spikemoss are you located in the US?

I have a 3D printer, and am going to be doing my own DIY Drambo controller somewhat similar to this (design not finalized). Anyway, I might be able to 3D print something for you for approximate cost of materials if your library is going to be closed for too long and if shipping cost wouldn't be prohibitive.

max print size is 210mm x 210mm, or maybe a little less.

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

BTW, you can save a bunch of wires, and have really nice squishy 4x4 buttons with this:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3954
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1611

I'm making a controller with this and it is fantastic. The buttons feel great. They feel like drum pads (though they are not, they are just switches). Four wires total, and easy to program. Plus ... lights. B)

• If you guys come up with a panel design, I have a small laser cutter (in the US) and can cut wood or acrylic.

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:

@rs2000 said:

You can perfectly sync 2 Drambo AUv3 instances with host transport if you enable host sync in the metronome menu.

You can also sync two different iDevices with each Drambo using Ableton LINK over WiFi.

Cool rs2000. Just thought. Iv mapped 4 controllers to AUM anyway. Could still try mixing though but will just by the standard ipad for now. Think its same specs as air 3 ( 2019 ) anyway. Just not many GB.

• Just checked faderfox. Imagine if something like dj44 could be mapped to 2 ipads but also a something like a denon sc6000 ( if that had wifi link also. An upgraded fader. Dual deck sc6000 and 2 drambos with 2 a line fader for morphs. Pads. Knobs.

• Obvioulsy its the xfader channels would be independent of line channels lol.

• @sigma79 said:
    Just checked faderfox. Imagine if something like dj44 could be mapped to 2 ipads but also a something like a denon sc6000 ( if that had wifi link also. An upgraded fader. Dual deck sc6000 and 2 drambos with 2 a line fader for morphs. Pads. Knobs.

The DJ44 has no Bluetooth and no hardware MIDI, only class compliant USB. You won't be able to connect it to 2 iPads simultaneously.

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Just checked faderfox. Imagine if something like dj44 could be mapped to 2 ipads but also a something like a denon sc6000 ( if that had wifi link also. An upgraded fader. Dual deck sc6000 and 2 drambos with 2 a line fader for morphs. Pads. Knobs.

The DJ44 has no Bluetooth and no hardware MIDI, only class compliant USB. You won't be able to connect it to 2 iPads simultaneously.

Stupid comment. Pointless. Thanks.

• Wow chill...Happy new year ! :)
    Love this DIY controller, next step : make an Octatrack :D