Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio

1303132333436»

Comments

• @dwrae said:

@zah7 said:

@dwrae said:

@zah7 said:
    @dwrae I played with it a bit longer, and decided to record a video to illustrate the problem. I also might be doing the whole thing wrong way?

No, looks like a bug. Please press the fx grid button for the track it didn't work on and then select the FX Send block. Does changing the send value there work?

No, it doesn’t make a difference.

I finally found it. It only happens when you press Solo. For some reason, Group 2 gets muted when you press Solo. If you deactivate solo, it should work. I'll check it out further.

yes, indeed, now it is working. I’ve just confirmed it.

• edited February 27

When recording MIDI to prevent the "eating up" of the first notes (the scaler situation -> aem), I set a smaller buffer. It helps, but the overall stability is low, so the buffer returns to the initial settings. It's quite time-consuming. In Auria Pro, the buffer could be set separately for recording and playback. Is there any other solution in AEM?
    By the way - all MIDIs have a slight delay, regardless of the buffer settings ( I mean the buffer helps, but the problem still occurs, even with 64 frames) It looks like in the picture.

Edit: all the first notes are preserved if I record to Atom though.

• @zah7 said:
    When recording MIDI to prevent the "eating up" of the first notes (the scaler situation -> aem), I set a smaller buffer. It helps,

I think it's best if you contact me at [email protected], since it would be too problematic handling this here. Rather than fiddling with buffer sizes I want to know the real cause of the issue.

• @jsmonzani said:

@Kewe_Esse said: [...]
    Damn I really want AUM-like routing in AEMS too!

Thank you for your detailed answer!! I'm gonna promote this feature on their forum as well!

I've found an easy solution to my problem: you can send MIDI out from MIDI tracks but not from MIDI instrument tracks, that's all. Here's how to do it:

• Launch for instance Streambyter (free), that will run in the background and act as a MIDI bus between tracks
    • Create a MIDI track and set its output to Streambyter, on your preferred channel
    • Create as MIDI instrument tracks as you need and set their MIDI input to the corresponding Streambyter's channel

It's a method I've used in the past with Drambo

I'm trying to digging into AEMS principles before purchase and that MIDI out workaround is not clear enough for me, so thanks for clarification.
    What I want to do is to use "MIDI Curve" effect just after my MIDI input (Arturia Keystep) and apply output from MIDI Curve to any existing or future MIDI track in AEMS I will need. Something like I have in Loopy Pro projects now:

I thought that scenario for AEMS could be a similar to Loopy Pro, so
    1. create MIDI track A, put "MIDI Curve" as MIDI FX there
    2. create MIDI instrument track B and set its MIDI input to track A.
    Will that work?

• No, sorry, you cannot take the MIDI output of another track as input or put a AU MIDI on the input itself. You would need to add the AU MIDI to each instrument track.

• edited April 25

@dwrae said:
    No, sorry, you cannot take the MIDI output of another track as input or put a AU MIDI on the input itself. You would need to add the AU MIDI to each instrument track.

Thank you for your quick response. It reminds me one more thing I'm using in Loopy now. I'm sending MIDI from Lumbeat's iBassist app to up to 3 MIDI instrument tracks on different MIDI channels:

Can AEMS handle this situation?

• @filo01 said:
    Thank you for your quick response. It reminds me one more thing I'm using in Loopy now. I'm sending MIDI from Lumbeat's iBassist app to up to 3 MIDI instrument tracks on different MIDI channels:

That shouldn't be a problem. You can set the MIDI input channel for each track to 'All' or a specific channel.

• @dwrae said:

@filo01 said:

That shouldn't be a problem. You can set the MIDI input channel for each track to 'All' or a specific channel.

Thank you again, so I'm on the boat now - purchased :wink:

• @filo01 said:

@dwrae said:

@filo01 said:

Thank you again, so I'm on the boat now - purchased :wink:

Thanks!

• @filo01 I think you'll dig it.
    AEM is my go-to. Rocking it on iOS and Android phone.

@dwrae sorry for the silly question, mate. On iOS it's not so much an issue because we have some Midi AUs, but I miss on the android mainly an option to set a root and scale for the keyboard sometimes. Did I miss something on the manual or is there a plan for that on the roadmap?

Cheers and thanks for this amazing daw

• @senhorlampada said:
    @filo01 I think you'll dig it.

@dwrae sorry for the silly question, mate. On iOS it's not so much an issue because we have some Midi AUs, but I miss on the android mainly an option to set a root and scale for the keyboard sometimes. Did I miss something on the manual or is there a plan for that on the roadmap?

Thanks. Ok, so you mean that the virtual keyboard changes into only 'valid' notes in the scale, right? If so, no, that isn't possible yet. Currently trying to get a beta out where you can do almost everything without stopping/pausing playback first.

• edited April 25

I see it wouldn't be as easy as I thought with iBassist and sending MIDI notes from it. I don't know what (maybe) I'm doing wrong in AEMS so let me explain situation in Loopy Pro where it works.

The first track is MIDI track with iBassist and its main MIDI output is routed to 2nd AU track with KingOfBass because I want to use its sound instead of internal iBassist sound. The 3rd track is AU track with NumaPlayer and I'm sending chords from iBassist on MIDI channel 3 there.
    The point is that 1st iBassist track in Loopy Pro is not MIDI AU track (it doesn't have its audio as its output) but simple MIDI track with sending of MIDI notes on its output.
    I can't do the same in AEMS because
    a) iBassist in not present in "AU MIDI" list when the track is "MIDI track".
    b) iBassist is not sending MIDI if it is MIDI AU instrument when the track is "MIDI instrument track".
    This doesn't work in Loopy Pro as well that's why I'm using iBassist as MIDI processor and not as AU instrument there.

Do you see any way out? I suspect I'm in the same situation as with MIDI Curve, to which @dwrae replied that AEMS can't do that.

• @dwrae said:
    Thanks. Ok, so you mean that the virtual keyboard changes into only 'valid' notes in the scale, right? If so, no, that isn't possible yet. Currently trying to get a beta out where you can do almost everything without stopping/pausing playback first.

Yep... Exactly that :wink:
    But wow... anxious for this new update already
    THanks again :heart:

• edited April 25

Does AEMS have internal preset management for AU? I didn't find any clue in the manual nor app where I can save current state of AU unit as user preset. https://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/ios/html/AudioUnitsandIAA.html
    For example due to my MIDI keyboard I want to use MIDI Curve app in almost any MIDI track so I have to set 5 values manually every time I insert this AU to the track.

• edited April 25

@filo01 said:
    I see it wouldn't be as easy as I thought with iBassist and sending MIDI notes from it. I don't know what (maybe) I'm doing wrong in AEMS so let me explain situation in Loopy Pro where it works.
    The first track is MIDI track with iBassist and its main MIDI output is routed to 2nd AU track with KingOfBass because I want to use its sound instead of internal iBassist sound. The 3rd track is AU track with NumaPlayer and I'm sending chords from iBassist on MIDI channel 3 there.
    The point is that 1st iBassist track in Loopy Pro is not MIDI AU track (it doesn't have its audio as its output) but simple MIDI track with sending of MIDI notes on its output.
    b) iBassist is not sending MIDI if it is MIDI AU instrument when the track is "MIDI instrument track".
    This doesn't work in Loopy Pro as well that's why I'm using iBassist as MIDI processor and not as AU instrument there.

Do you see any way out? I suspect I'm in the same situation as with MIDI Curve, to which @dwrae replied that AEMS can't do that.

I don't understand a) since there is no code that makes a difference between a plain MIDI track and an instrument track.

• @filo01 said:
    Does AEMS have internal preset management for AU? I didn't find any clue in the manual nor app where I can save current state of AU unit as user preset. https://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/ios/html/AudioUnitsandIAA.html
    For example due to my MIDI keyboard I want to use MIDI Curve app in almost any MIDI track so I have to set 5 values manually every time I insert this AU to the track.

No, I'll add it to the todo list. It is currently only possible for audio effects.

• @dwrae said:

@filo01 said:

No, I'll add it to the todo list. It is currently only possible for audio effects.

Thank you.

• edited April 25

@dwrae said:

@filo01 said:

I don't understand a) since there is no code that makes a difference between a plain MIDI track and an instrument track.

I'm sorry, do you not understand because I explained it wrong, or do you not see why it is the way it is?
    Here is my list with AU instruments on the left and list of AU MIDI effects on the right (iBassist is not there)

@dwrae said:
    No, sorry, you cannot take the MIDI output of another track as input or put a AU MIDI on the input itself. You would need to add the AU MIDI to each instrument track.

Wait ... so even if iBassist was in the AU MIDI list, it still wouldn't work? I tried sending chords from track with ChordBud to track with NumaPlayer instrument and that didn't work either.

• @filo01 said:
    Wait ... so even if iBassist was in the AU MIDI list, it still wouldn't work? I tried sending chords from track with ChordBud to track with NumaPlayer instrument and that didn't work either.

These lists should be different! One is AU instruments and the other is AU MIDI effects. They are totally different beasts.

What I thought you meant was that if you created a plain MIDI track (the last item in the list when you select the + button at the bottom right), the listed AU MIDI effects were different than when choosing an instrument track and listing the AU MIDI effects there. That is not true.

According to the screenshots, iBassist is an AU instrument, not a AU MIDI effect. In AEMS, an instrument track cannot output MIDI, it only outputs audio.

• edited April 26

@dwrae said:

@filo01 said:

These lists should be different! One is AU instruments and the other is AU MIDI effects. They are totally different beasts.

What I thought you meant was that if you created a plain MIDI track (the last item in the list when you select the + button at the bottom right), the listed AU MIDI effects were different than when choosing an instrument track and listing the AU MIDI effects there. That is not true.

According to the screenshots, iBassist is an AU instrument, not a AU MIDI effect. In AEMS, an instrument track cannot output MIDI, it only outputs audio.

OK, thank you.
    To sum up: My situation with iBassist MIDI output has obviously no solution here. I can't use MIDI output when iBassist is treated as instrument and can't use iBassist as MIDI processor/generator as I can do in Loopy Pro.
    The ChordBud or any other chord/melody generator I can use only as MIDI AU effect within MIDI instrument track and I can't use it as a source for more MIDI instrument tracks.
    Do I understand it correctly?

• @filo01 said:
    OK, thank you.
    To sum up: My situation with iBassist MIDI output has obviously no solution here. I can't use MIDI output when iBassist is treated as instrument and can't use iBassist as MIDI processor/generator as I can do in Loopy Pro.
    The ChordBud or any other chord/melody generator I can use only as MIDI AU effect within MIDI instrument track and I can't use it as a source for more MIDI instrument tracks.

Well, you make it sound like it's the app's fault that iBassist cannot be used as AU MIDI, but AEMS supports all AU MIDI effects.

But yes, you cannot send MIDI from one track to another, except as input of audio effects.

• @dwrae said:

@filo01 said:
    OK, thank you.

Well, you make it sound like it's the app's fault that iBassist cannot be used as AU MIDI, but AEMS supports all AU MIDI effects.

But yes, you cannot send MIDI from one track to another, except as input of audio effects.

Thanks for the explanation and your time @dwrae.

• @dwrae said:

@bargale said:
    BM3 has the perfect way of doing it, every time you press record it views it as a "new take" and if you stop recording while playback is on and press undo and press record again, it continues to record in the same place.
    btw, this was one of my main ways i used to work on desktop and it made my recording process 10x faster as i didn't press stop much at all.

It's not really related to what I meant, but if (in AEMS), you create an audio track, arm it, set the time marker to 15 seconds or so, then press record and record a couple of seconds, then stop, Undo, Record, then it will continue to record at 15 seconds.

I rephrased it wrongly…
    when I press record after undoing while looping parts with playback on, it starts recording on playback marker
    I believe it to be a much smoother experience, but maybe it’s because aem i doesn’t react as fast as BM3 to button presses
    (Logic is the worst for instance, all these uncalled for animations to make menus pop up is terrible, so SLOW)> @dwrae said:

@senhorlampada said:
    @filo01 I think you'll dig it.

Do you need any more beta testers?