Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumPerfect latency and lag

The update, although welcome has made the app almost unusable. I have a humble ipad 3 setup as it should be for CPU intensive use and 3 gigs of spare space. The lag when using the new grid view is pretty bad to say the least and the live pad just can't keep up with my fingers, even the most basic tapping. I can live with some latency but the way you key in any information into this app is very frustrating indeed and not doing justice to a great sounding tool. It's like playing a great piano with gloves on.
Anyone have the same problems?

Comments

• I'm using the latest beta, but I get no significant latency playing the live pad on an iPad 2. There is a delay in the graphical response in the grid view, but this is not a playing surface, so how is it a big problem? By the time you tap the next beat, the last one has changed colour.

• Except that I keep tapping it thinking I missed the box. Then I wait and hit it again just as it lights up and I delete it. It's all good though:)

• @PaulB said:

I'm using the latest beta

Ahhh, this explains a lot. I've been wondering

• It's no secret...

• @mmmwhaha: could it be that some other app was open that set the audio buffer latency to a high value?

• edited April 2014

For instance, Auria can really destroy you with its 4096 default buffer size it forces on the system, if it happened to be open and not set up in Audiobus mode... just a thought...

• I used it standalone and with Audiobus setting the buffer, no other apps running. it was interesting to see the new video demo by Zen Lizard and the very noticable lag when keying in notes in grid view. The response time of the note showing on or off interferes with my thought process when creating patterns, is it on, is it off? Sorry to sound so negative Marinus, I love the sound of DrumPerfect but getting note data into it is still very frustrating. Do you plan to improve the graphical response in grid view?

• @Marinus The graphics lag in the grid view didn't bother me and as it's not a playing surface I never thought to mention it, but it is there. It'd be interesting to know where the delay is occurring. Does the grid graphic get updated after the pattern data is updated by getting a refresh of the complete status? There may be an opportunity to short circuit that once you know what the status will be updated to by updating that beat's graphic before updating the pattern. Just a guess, of course, since I don't know the code.

• edited April 2014

@Mmmwahaha: I see your point: any delay will become a problem once the course of actions enters the same time scale.

@PaulB: Indeed;-)

So, the next update will have a faster grid view update!

• Thanks for the quick response Marinus, looking forward to the next update.