Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - December 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• edited December 2020

My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Tell me of the things you want
    For us to have someday
    Your dreams of love could shackle me
    Or make me run away
    We fall down
    We stay down
    Can we make it through?
    We fall down
    We stay down
    And I’m scared for you

Just think of all the freedom
    That I would give away
    Imagine if you can the games
    I could no longer play
    You know I can’t stay with you
    That’s not the life for me
    You want someone responsible
    I want to be care free

A dream a hope a nest a home
    Is not the goal for me
    I want to live a life of fun
    Even if it’s empty
    I fall down, I stay down
    There will be no kids for me
    I fall down, I stay down
    That’s just how it will be

Just think of all the freedom
    That I would give away
    Imagine if you can the games
    I could no longer play
    You know I can’t stay with you
    That’s not the life for me
    You want someone responsible
    I want to be care free

• As usual, great work, Richard!
    You're a very gifted lyricist. Your stories sound so real !

• Hello there,
    Long time no see to the SOTMC...
    So, for the last entry of the year, I'm happy to share this:
    http://kissmee.fr/tracks/motoo-silenceofthescorpion

Enjoy :)

• @JanKun said:
    As usual, great work, Richard!
    You're a very gifted lyricist. Your stories sound so real !

Thanks! The lyrics I've been writing this year have been influenced by things that have happened to me or members of my family, or in the case of this song it's inspired by someone I know. Once you start looking around there's just so much you can use. The theme I'm really interested in is human fallibility, how we mess up each other's lives (or our own lives).

• edited December 2020

Once again, I used the Launchpad app to create the music. And this time, I used Launchpad’s Zodiac Soundpack for the samples.

It’s titled Fever Dreams.

• edited December 2020

@richardyot
    Nice sounding track!

Composition

• love the pad sound and lead bell sound
    • musical interlude has nice melodies, even though simple
    • chord progression is nicely changed from verse to chorus
    • lyrics are really good

Mix

• kick sounds nice and clear
    • vocals sound nice and upfront
    • pads and bacground rythm sound nicely place in the back
    • overall mix sounds great!

Performance

• instruments nicely done, except the piano melody seems to be at a constant velocity
    • vocals are 95% great. 5% not so good is when singing notes in larger intervals, the first attck of the note is a little pitchy, but then corrected. Although maybe it matches the style of the music

Overall i really liked this song. You can tell there is a lot of meaning in the lyrics.

• @crony
    Really nice sounding track! May i ask if this was all iOS?

Composition

• Really like this style of music, nice overall composition
    • love the hi-hat part...really added some nice "flavor"

Mix

• overall the mix was very good. Everything clear and placed well
    • except... :) the lead at the end. Thought it was too loud or upfront

Performance

• no criticism from me... very good performance

Really enjoyed listening to this track. Had a polished professional sound!

• @DavidEnglish
    I liked this track! I'm not very good at sample arrangement type songs myself :) . This has some nice sounds in it.

Composition

• this is arranged samples, so I can say the arrangement and adding of FX and other sweetening is really good.
    • loved that long fade out!

Mix

• snare seems out of place to me, too dry maybe
    • love the motion of the sounds, back and forth front and back
    • overall good sounding mix

Performance

• well...sample arrangement has some performance right? I like the arrangement overall!

Enjoyed listening to your track!

• My username is new to SOTMC, but I've been here as JonathanMac in the past.
    Anyway my entry for the month. I'm hoping to be able to stick to a routine and produce a track every month.

Hope you enjoy!

• @McM said:
    @richardyot
    Nice sounding track!

Composition

• love the pad sound and lead bell sound
    • musical interlude has nice melodies, even though simple
    • chord progression is nicely changed from verse to chorus
    • lyrics are really good

Mix

• kick sounds nice and clear
    • vocals sound nice and upfront
    • pads and bacground rythm sound nicely place in the back
    • overall mix sounds great!

Performance

• instruments nicely done, except the piano melody seems to be at a constant velocity
    • vocals are 95% great. 5% not so good is when singing notes in larger intervals, the first attck of the note is a little pitchy, but then corrected. Although maybe it matches the style of the music

Overall i really liked this song. You can tell there is a lot of meaning in the lyrics.

Thanks for the detailed feedback 👍

You're right about the singing, this was not my best vocal performance - and your surgically precise feedback is actually very useful, so thanks for that.

• edited December 2020

This time I submit the song "Another Dystopia" from our Klopstock - EP #01:

If you like the song, you can also listen to our whole EP on SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music etc.

@richardyot I like the melody and your singing very much. And a really tasteful choice of sounds. A few drum fills sound a little bit straight for my taste—but I come from a hiphop, breakbeat background, so that might not be the case for other listeners.

@crony Unfortunately I couldn’t play your song via the link.

@DavidEnglish Very tasteful sample choices and arrangement. Reminds me of the instrumental work of the German-based producer Tua which I admire.

@McM Unusual drum pattern with the synth parts, but I got used to it. It could be arranged a bit more diversified for me. But might be intended in a more repetitive way—in that case: my fault ;).

• Thanks for the detailed feedback 👍

No problem! It's also good ear training for me.

• edited December 2020

@Janka said:
    @McM Unusual drum pattern with the synth parts, but I got used to it. It could be arranged a bit more diversified for me. But might be intended in a more repetitive way—in that case: my fault ;).

Thanks for the good feedback. More diversification in the drums...I can see that. I tried to keep a simple kick,snare,HH only pattern, but maybe too simple :)

• @Janka said:
    I am looking forward to more exciting songs. I thought November was a month with many great contributions.

Do you mean more exciting songs in addition to these 5 exciting songs, or that these songs posted so far are not as exciting as November :D

• The former. Sorry for my misleading formulation :# , I have deleted the sentence.

• @Janka said:
    The former. Sorry for my misleading formulation :# , I have deleted the sentence.

I thought so, I was being sarcastic :) . Will listen to your track a little later.

• @crony said:
    Hello there,
    Long time no see to the SOTMC...
    So, for the last entry of the year, I'm happy to share this:
    http://kissmee.fr/tracks/motoo-silenceofthescorpion

Enjoy :)

Good tune, great to hear some vocals :)

The bass is great, probably the highlight of the track for me, both the riff and the sound design. The vocals are great, the mix is good, and the song is catchy and fun.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Once again, I used the Launchpad app to create the music. And this time, I used Launchpad’s Zodiac Soundpack for the samples.

It’s titled Fever Dreams.

It's got a very chill lo-fi vibe, very trip-hop feel to it. Hypnotic and enjoyable.

• @McM said:
    My username is new to SOTMC, but I've been here as JonathanMac in the past.
    Anyway my entry for the month. I'm hoping to be able to stick to a routine and produce a track every month.

Hope you enjoy!

Beautiful! I particularly like the contrast between the repetitive synth phrase that comes and goes throughout and the piano and strings. They feel like they should be worlds apart but they work very well together. The piano and strings have a beautiful melancholy to them that the synth contrasts against very well. It's like old-school and new school got together to make this track :)

• @Janka said:

If you like the song, you can also listen to our whole EP on SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Another chill track, although this one feels a bit edgier than the others, with a darker musical palette being used. It's like a Sunday morning, but after the apocalypse :)

Some nice melodies to be found among the smoking ruins though, and the blend of darkness and laid-backness works extremely well. Engaging and enjoyable track.

• @richardyot thanks for the compliments and good feedback! You nailed the feel I was going for. A lot of trial and error for me to mix piano and synths together.

• Just cooked with Patrick Guillot and Guska

• edited December 2020

@richardyot said:

@Janka said:

Another chill track, although this one feels a bit edgier than the others, with a darker musical palette being used. It's like a Sunday morning, but after the apocalypse :)

Some nice melodies to be found among the smoking ruins though, and the blend of darkness and laid-backness works extremely well. Engaging and enjoyable track.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I like your associations and interpretations. :)

• @richardyot said:

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

I want to upload a song to your Song of the Month club and I was looking at getting Soundcloud, the free version but there are a lot of complaints about ads everywhere.

What version of sound cloud do you use and your thoughts, + & - and is there another option?

Thanks

• @Sandstorm said:

@richardyot said:

I want to upload a song to your Song of the Month club and I was looking at getting Soundcloud, the free version but there are a lot of complaints about ads everywhere.

What version of sound cloud do you use and your thoughts, + & - and is there another option?

Thanks

I think the free version of SoundCloud should be just fine, it's what most people use here and I don't think there are too many complaints.

• @Kitusai said:
    Just cooked with Patrick Guillot and Guska

A mixture of beauty and agony. A very experimental concept, since the lead guitar is so dissociated from the arpeggio and percussion, like there are two different songs playing at the same time. It's very jarring, and I guess that is exactly what the lead part is intending to do. I've never heard a track that could convey such different emotions at the same time :)

• It's been a while. But we are back. Hopefully we can get back to regular contributions in the future.

• @orchardman said:
    It's been a while. But we are back. Hopefully we can get back to regular contributions in the future.

Welcome back! I particularly like the combination of the chunky guitars against the mournful vocals, which creates a really nice contrast.

It has an epic quality to it, with the big production and the rock feel. The vocal melody is a real grower, quite understated but very effective.

The lead guitar breaks are excellent, and the arrangement is well-crafted, if a bit on the long side.

Great job, and good to have you back!

• edited December 2020

Hello,

@richardyot the production sounds clean and clear, but I ear some false note with the voice, I'm also a bit confused with the melody that sounds (to me) a bit unclear.
    BTW, thanks for your feedback on my track !

@orchardman rock is really not my cup of tea, but the music sounds produced, only the voice doesn't sounds as clear as I was expecting, the reverb is way too loud for me. Also the guitar solo sounds very classical to me.

@Kitusai that was unexpected also ! But the sound is really super clean, I'd not listen to it everyday at breakfast, but I must admit that the sound design is very well done, original, very unique, congrats !

@Janka really getting close of what I like in electronic music, panning is super accurate, good timbres, good construction, a cool ambiant track really !

@DavidEnglish I guess this might be my favorite track in here for this month. Classical in harmony, but very nicelydone, great space in the mixing, and also a video clip which give a proper ambiance.

@McM loved it, electronic and such a clean piano with a defined space...Easy really :)
    And thanks on your comment on my track.
    Actually, I was really not happy with the mastering I first did, so I did a new one, much louder, with some tweaks.
    You might like it better :)

So here's the new YouTube version (it will be updated soon on digital platforms)

• @richardyot Bravo, you made the whole year with very good tracks! A new album with 12 very coherent songs!

@crony Sounds perfectly pro, very well done

@DavidEnglish Bewitching, intriguing, atmospheric. How have you made the video which perfectly reacts to the music?

@McM Beautiful fly with this electronic light. I enjoyed a lot the repetitive haunting pattern with the other elements slowly taking flight. Excellent melody and soft breaks talking by the hand all along the travel.

@Janka The rhythm pattern is as good as original. Excellent work on original sounds and atmosphere. A lot of movements and sonic surprises.

@orchardman It’s good to hear you back with your (our) preferred singer! Very good song with a dense rock sound as you well know to cook them.

Happy Christmas to you all!