Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using a 10.2 8th generation iPad? - would like your thoughts please.

Thinking of upgrading soon.
How’s it going? Are you getting as many apps as you want running at the same time?
Do you really wish you had the Air3 or better? - or is it serving your needs as far as you could want?
They are a decent price and there’s quite a difference to go further up.

Comments

• I just got one. I upgraded my old iPad 9.7 2017 and as you can imagine, this new one is much more powerful.
    AUM projects that took around 80% CPU power now take around 35%.

One interesting thing I noticed when I wanted to test the speed difference between those two iPads - I started an AUM project with just a few plugins and did the exact same thing on my old iPad and the CPU load was the same. I was confused and disappointed at first, but as I kept adding more plugins, the CPU load in my new iPad dramatically dropped.

I guess, since A12 has a 6 core CPU as 2 fast cores and 4 low power cores, it's using the low power cores until they are not powerful enough and then seamlessly switches to the full power cores.

I am very happy with my purchase, but I guess it all depends on what you are used to. For me it was a big upgrade CPU-wise. I don't care about the laminated screen and I really like my headphone output, so I didn't have much choice :)

• @branis said:
    I just got one. I upgraded my old iPad 9.7 2017 and as you can imagine, this new one is much more powerful.
    AUM projects that took around 80% CPU power now take around 35%.

One interesting thing I noticed when I wanted to test the speed difference between those two iPads - I started an AUM project with just a few plugins and did the exact same thing on my old iPad and the CPU load was the same. I was confused and disappointed at first, but as I kept adding more plugins, the CPU load in my new iPad dramatically dropped.

I guess, since A12 has a 6 core CPU as 2 fast cores and 4 low power cores, it's using the low power cores until they are not powerful enough and then seamlessly switches to the full power cores.

I am very happy with my purchase, but I guess it all depends on what you are used to. For me it was a big upgrade CPU-wise. I don't care about the laminated screen and I really like my headphone output, so I didn't have much choice :)

Great - that sounds good.
    Sorry should have mentioned I’m on Air 2 at the moment - so it sounds like it would be a fairly big leap forward 😀

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I finally upgraded from my trusty Air 1 to the Ipad 8. I waited and waited for the best bang for my buck and glad I did. Of course, it's a noticeable 5-7x more powerful, but the thing I like the most is that everything else is mostly the same or slightly better, which is all I really wanted. A slightly larger/better screen, while still having a headphone jack, lightning port, buttons, etc in the same familiar places. The new Air looks nice, but you don't really get double the performance by paying double the price. It seems more of a completely different machine, not an upgrade.

• Get it!*

*unless you can afford 11” (2018 or 2020).

10.2 and 11 2018 have 4gb ram but the latter has much faster processor.

11 2020 has 6gb ram making it the safest choice.

Both 11’s are usb c and no headphone jack which to me is a big deal. I have 11 2018 and find myself using 10.2 more often because of it.

If I had to have only one iPad I’d be finding very hard to choose.

If you connect midi controllers and/or audio interfaces usb c models have advantage of delivering more power to them.

• If you can get the Air 3 (10.5 in A12 chip) at the same price, go for it. I'd opt for the larger screen, with the same form factor.

Although, I think it's more of a decision between a bigger screen, and a lower price. I'd recommend at least 64GB if you plan on using a lot of AUv3 apps. If you'll do video editing, get at least a 128GB device.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/?device1=ipad-8th-gen&device2=ipad-air-3rd-gen&device3=ipad-air-4th-gen

• Thanks everyone - I think I’ll be going for a new 8th gen. They are ‘only’ £429 for 128 GB here in the UK - which is a good bit less than I thought I would need to pay for a major upgrade. Cant wait. The old Air2’s are still working great- but I just need to get more apps in the sessions.

• I’m also on the Air 2 and consider an upgrade. My concern with the new iPad is going from a laminated to non-laminated screen, so have been eyeing up the new Air (but that’s bloody expensive which makes me hesitate).

For anyone who’s made the swap, do you miss the laminated screen, or is this not an issue?

• @Vip8888 said:
    I’m also on the Air 2 and consider an upgrade. My concern with the new iPad is going from a laminated to non-laminated screen, so have been eyeing up the new Air (but that’s bloody expensive which makes me hesitate).

For anyone who’s made the swap, do you miss the laminated screen, or is this not an issue?

It’ll be fine - the Air1 is not laminated and that is plenty smooth (I have both and hadn’t even noticed the difference!) I think it just makes the Air2 slimmer.
    Banish those worrying sandpaper scraping fears - it’s all good. I’m in the middle of selling a heap of gear to pay for one, should be ready for Christmas.