Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB forums collaborative ep or lp or track

Just got this idea, wha do u ladies and gentlemen think about collaborating on a track, ep, or lp? To get it done rather quickly , we'd focus on making it a fun process, and since we have many people here , the process can go along quicker. We can have it be an example to the public of what many musicians and aspiring musicians can do by using audiobus and an ipad + hardware accesories solely... It can get complicated but not if we plan stuff out and assign certain people to individual tasks... Cool?

Comments

• Kinda hard to do. We've certainly tried on here a few times already. I know the developers did get together for a collaboration and pulled it off, but I don't recall if us users ever cracked that. From the group I was a part of that flailed around and never got off the ground (which was totally my fault as the organizer - too many other things got in the way all the time), I would make a few recommendations. Get organized about who will do what right away instead of leaving it open ended. I think people are motivated to do this, but saying "add something" ass opposed to saying "we need a better drum track, user_x, you do that next" can be unproductive in my experience. I'd also suggest setting time lines for it. So, if you're working on a part, it needs to be turned in by Friday, or we're moving on to the next user. I know this sounds like it takes the fun out of it some by adding more structure, but I think it might actually have the opposite effect. My two cents anyway.

• What about having battles? Users have to make tracks according to a set of rules, everyone votes on their favorite, and the winner gets to make the next set of rules. I participate in battles for the OP-1, and not only are they super fun, but I find out tons of things about the machine I didn't know.

The only major hiccup to this plan is not everyone has the same apps. Rules requiring particular apps would have to be frowned upon, but they could be things like everyone must use an amp sim on a synth track, time limits on song length, no drums allowed, string sounds only.... Really anything that let's anyone participate regardless of their apps.

I've thought about doing this before but I assumed the interest wasn't there. Is anyone up for trying this?

• edited April 2014

I like these ideas and do participate in the collaboration and/or battles. These things tend to work better on a private level and if voting from the internet instead of live audience, revealing the artist before voting seems to always skew results. Battle of the bands in front of a live audience takes place regularly around my area and are great fun. Collaborations have lead to successful groups who go on to big things.

If someone has a private server and a website that's willing to host, this would work, it's done everyday on an "underground" level.

One thing I have noticed on public forums, everybody wants to be heard but no one wants to listen...if you get my point. With all the music tools at our disposal, it's like we become our own biggest fans, while forgetting how to be fans. This is a blanket statement, please don't take it personal.

A couple of public sites to mention,

Weeklybeats.com (nothing stopping battles there)

Wikiloops.com (all about collaboration)

I would be interested in participating in another private group though. Or if any member want to hook up to see if our styles mesh, I'm game. (I really admire some of your works)

• I Do Like the battles idea. +1 for that.

• Plus +1 for a battle/comp with a very limited sample set. Challenge is to eek the most out of them and give everyone the same very minimal baseline.

• The audio from one of Doug's videos! Comp fun plus "We love, get well soon" audio cards! I vote @Xprmntr just picks one and we get started asap.

• edited April 2014

New thread posted, let's try it out!

• Cool i like the idea too os battles or remixes

• @xprmntr credit for bringing this topic up. If you are familiar with the user group compilations. For example the Magellan group on soundcloud. There is an Audiobus group. But unlike your idea, it is an one artist/group per track.

• I agree w having a pretty strict structure for the collabos. Battles seem kinda like a fun idea too, just don't like the competitiveness of that as much, seems more like a fight than a fun jam, but I'm not totally opposed to it, I know it can be done in good vibes.

Lets assign individuals to different tasks

Positions open

We need one person for each of these if applicable

Drums, bass, singing, rapping, sound fx/noise/ambience, various leads (1 person per instrumental lead ((I.e strings, synths,))) and song arranger

I can do the rapping if we want to make a track with some, or I can do sound fx/noise/ambience