Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Massive SunVox update 1.9.6

App "SunVox"

Developer: Alexander Zolotov
URL: https://apps.apple.com/app/sunvox/id324462544

Minimum OS Version: 9.0
Universal: Yes
Price: $5.99

DESCRIPTION:

SunVox is one of the most powerful music creation tools for iOS. It is a small and fast cross-platform modular synthesizer with pattern based sequencer (tracker).

[ Key features ]
• Modular interface.
• Powerful microtonal sequencer.
• Highly optimized synth algorithms.
• Support of 16/24/32bit WAV, AIFF and XI samples.
• XM (FastTracker) and MOD (ProTracker, OctaMED) import.
• Multitrack WAV export.
• MIDI import/export.
• MIDI IN/OUT.
• Mic/Line recording (using the Sampler).
• Audio Unit Extension (AUv3 instrument/effect), Audiobus.
• Generative music features: random selection of notes, random values of controllers, probability effects.
• It's possible to use SunVox engine in your own applications using the free library for developers.
• It is also available for other systems (see the site).

[ Brief instruction ]
The main menu - button with the SunVox icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
To connect one module (source) to another (destination): first touch on the source, second touch on the destination.

Official SunVox homepage, user manual, video tutorials:
https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox

SunVox music:
https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/#music

Found a bug? Have some questions? Just write me directly: [email protected]
The answer comes immediately!

[ Built-in synthesizers & effects ]
• Generators;
• DrumSynth with 120 unique synthetic drum sounds;
• FM synthesizer;
• Multisample instrument;
• SpectraVoice (FFT-based synthesizer for warm atmospheric sounds);
• Side Chain Compressor;
• Distortion;
• Echo & Reverb;
• Equalizer & Filters;
• Flanger;
• Loop (for glitch effects);
• Vocal Filter (for human voice simulation);
• Vorbis Player;
• WaveShaper;
• Pitch Detector;
• Pitch Shifter;
• and more ...

[ Jordan Rudess about this app ]
Sunvox is a serious music application. I am personally running it on my iphone. In the overcrowded world of music apps, Sunvox stands out as both unique and powerful. If you are a musician and own an iphone, you owe it to yourself to try this amazing application!

RELEASE NOTES: Version 1.9.6

• SunVox Audio Unit (AUv3) can now be used as an effect (filter) inside other DAWs;
  • new module - Pitch Detector for detecting the pitch of the incoming signal; the frequency and note will be displayed; notes will be sent to the module output; see example "pitch correction (automatic tuning)";
  • new module - ADSR envelope generator; see examples adsr, adsr2, adsr3;
  • new module - Ctl2Note for converting the controller value into a note (input - automation; output - notes); see example ctl2note;
  • Analog Generator: new waveform "harmonics" allows you to draw the harmonic distribution; but remember, if you turn on all 32 harmonics, then the module's performance will slow down 32 times compared to a pure sine generator; reduced polyphony and LQmono mode will slightly reduce the CPU load;
  • SpectraVoice: new harmonic types: overtones1+, overtones2+, overtones3+, overtones4+, metal;
  • LFO: new controller "Frequency scale" (in percents) - use it to slow or accelerate the oscillations;
  • LFO: new controller "Smooth transitions" - disable it to get hard transitions inside the waveform;
  • Generator, Kicker, SpectraVoice: increased resolution (accuracy) of Attack and Release controllers; (only if the base version is 1.9.6 or higher in the Project Properties);
  • Sound2Ctl: new option "Send only changed values";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Round the note (X-axis on curve3) to the nearest integer" (remove microtones);
  • MultiSynth: new option "Round the pitch (Y-axis on curve3) to the closest";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Record notes to the scale (curve3)"; see example "dynamic scale";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output note = Output note - Input note + C5" (difference between output and input pitch);
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = note % number of connected outputs"; (% is the modulo (remainder) operation); see example "drumkit 3 (multisynth)";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = polyphonic channel % number of connected outputs";
  • MultiSynth: new curve 3 describing the dependence of the output pitch on the input note;
  • MetaModule: new options "Receive notes from the keyboard" and "Don't receive notes from the keyboard";
  • MetaModule -> User defined controllers: edit buttons (add,delete,move up/down) have been added;
  • Pitch shifter: incoming notes change the value of controller 02.Pitch; the C5 note corresponds to zero;
  • Pitch shifter: new controller "Bypass if pitch=0" - play the original signal when the module does not change the pitch;
  • MetaModule, MultiSynth, Sound2Ctl, Sampler, Analog Generator: options can be accessed in the same way as controllers (see the exact numbers in the options list);
  • new MIDI IN mode for modules - "never" (never receive MIDI data);
  • improved popup menus: additional navigation keys (up,down,left,right,space,enter,escape); horizontal scroll if the menu does not fit on the screen; highlight of the current effect;
  • new pattern effects (column EE): 05 and 06 - pitch bend up/down (one semitone = 100 (256dec));
  • new keyboard shortcuts for the timeline: slice, mute, solo, unmute, set restart position, snap to grid (unassigned by default);
  • new folder "curves" (with curves for MultiSynth, MultiCtl and WaveShaper);
  • new modules in the instruments/ and effects/ folders;
  • new examples (SunVox Compo 2020.02 winners): Trackerbound - Alpha Ursae Minoris, Trackerbound - Silentium, manganoid - Lazy Thunder, SawZer - Phantom;
  • bug fixes.

Comments

• We have some forum members that already own M1 Macs....
    Could you possibly test if SunVox is working on them?

• “ Analog Generator: new waveform "harmonics" allows you to draw the harmonic distribution; but remember, if you turn on all 32 harmonics, then the module's performance will slow down 32 times compared to a pure sine generator; reduced polyphony and LQmono mode will slightly reduce the CPU load;”

Eh?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    “ Analog Generator: new waveform "harmonics" allows you to draw the harmonic distribution; but remember, if you turn on all 32 harmonics, then the module's performance will slow down 32 times compared to a pure sine generator; reduced polyphony and LQmono mode will slightly reduce the CPU load;”

Eh?

Easy, it doesn't create a 'sample' (SpectraVoice creates a sample) but instead synthesizes up to 32 sine-waves to avoid aliasing.
    As usual it's still pretty conservative CPU usage compared to other apps.

Ie. nothing to worry about unless running SunVox on super ancient hardware...

• @Samu said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    “ Analog Generator: new waveform "harmonics" allows you to draw the harmonic distribution; but remember, if you turn on all 32 harmonics, then the module's performance will slow down 32 times compared to a pure sine generator; reduced polyphony and LQmono mode will slightly reduce the CPU load;”

Eh?

Easy, it doesn't create a 'sample' (SpectraVoice creates a sample) but instead synthesizes up to 32 sine-waves to avoid aliasing.

Thanks. Air 2 is pretty ancient tho.

• So I never had dealt much with trackers. But I have this and gave it a short spin. I’m surprised at how decent some of the sounds are.

Can anyone point me to the iOS keyboard shortcuts for this? I have a magic keyboard and would like to take advantage of that.
    I probably should go watch a bunch of YouTube videos.

• edited November 2020

@onerez said:
    So I never had dealt much with trackers. But I have this and gave it a short spin. I’m surprised at how decent some of the sounds are.

Can anyone point me to the iOS keyboard shortcuts for this? I have a magic keyboard and would like to take advantage of that.
    I probably should go watch a bunch of YouTube videos.

https://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:manual_en
    About half way down the page. You can also find and assign the shortcuts in the app under Preferences > Interface

One thing about the shortcuts is that the function keys are used a lot, which the magic keyboard lacks. So those shortcuts need to be reassigned. (I'm pretty sure the shortcuts are cross platform, which is why they aren't preset for iPad keyboards)

• Awesome. Was waiting for this to drop.

For AUv3 effects mainly but I'm sure there is plenty of other new stuff to investigate.

Yeah, but also remember SunVox is heavily optimized so no issues at all with the harmonics oscillator at all.
    You can easily run 100+ of them on an Air 2 (That is where I stopped. Had to lower the outputs a lot to avoid clipping lol).

• Ive owned this app for a while now and never jumped in. Might have to change that.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Ive owned this app for a while now and never jumped in. Might have to change that.

Dont do it!!!!!!! I am wayyyyyyyyy down the rabbit hole now. 😂

• @Samu said:

Yeah, but also remember SunVox is heavily optimized so no issues at all with the harmonics oscillator at all.
    You can easily run 100+ of them on an Air 2 (That is where I stopped. Had to lower the outputs a lot to avoid clipping lol).

Okay, 100 may be just about enough 😎

• @onerez the tracker is really the least interesting part of Sunvox. You can control everything via MIDI and assign channels to modules, so there's nothing stopping you from using an external sequencer like Xequence and using Sunvox for the sound engine, which is amazing. This developer is truly a one of a kind.

• Yes, SunVox is very deep.

I asked for support for M1 above, but as i now remember, SunVox runs on Windows, Linux, macOS and even Android anyway!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @onerez the tracker is really the least interesting part of Sunvox. You can control everything via MIDI and assign channels to modules, so there's nothing stopping you from using an external sequencer like Xequence and using Sunvox for the sound engine, which is amazing. This developer is truly a one of a kind.

And this definitely helps when triggering from a sequencer and tweaking at the same time.

new MIDI IN mode for modules - "never" (never receive MIDI data);

@Samu said:

Eh?

Sun vox defines ancient as a palm pilot.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @onerez the tracker is really the least interesting part of Sunvox. You can control everything via MIDI and assign channels to modules, so there's nothing stopping you from using an external sequencer like Xequence and using Sunvox for the sound engine, which is amazing. This developer is truly a one of a kind.

I recall we talked about this before in another thread. That's how I roll. On my PC I can use the tracker, but on iOS it's a pain for me, so one of my favorite sound sources to use with Xequence is Sunvox

• Great update, now you can sample stuff into sunvox, hope midi out is on 1.9.7 :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Great update, now you can sample stuff into sunvox, hope midi out is on 1.9.7 :)

• So..... what are the advantages of midi out other then using different synths? Is there any type of random sequencing that sunvox can do? I see this video done by @echoopera looks like he was using stand alone? Is there any reason that you could not now do this via AU?

Thanks!!

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@onerez said:
    So..... what are the advantages of midi out other then using different synths? Is there any type of random sequencing that sunvox can do? I see this video done by @echoopera looks like he was using stand alone? Is there any reason that you could not now do this via AU?

Silly question! Who would not rather program in all their midi in hexadecimal??
    Atom Piano Roll 2 is doomed before birth if Sunvox gets AU midi-out first.

• insane update. If the generator is good then this is the dope.

• edited November 2020

I mean AUv3 version ;) although apparently it is going to be next.

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:
    Great update, now you can sample stuff into sunvox, hope midi out is on 1.9.7 :)

• edited November 2020

It's a different way of thinking and visualizing the music for me, which always leads me to compose differently then if I were using a piano roll. I find drum sequencing in particular easier to program on trackers.
    Also, it's no problem to live record into trackers either - the tracker will just split the polyphony into different lanes. I quite like this because it allows you to play in by hand on your controller, but then reassign each lane to different instruments. Each lane with their own line commands (slide, retrigger, probability, etc). I don't even want to think about the amount of work that would take on a piano roll. P-locking Elektron stye (introduced in their earlier Sid Station days) was an interpretation of tracker style sequencing. As such, 'parameter locking' (even sound locking) comes easily with the territory. I would say trackers are more surgical than piano rolls. Finer detail and ease of editing on a step per step basis (line per line).

edit: yeah, the AU doesn't yet support midi out. So no sequencing unless IAA for now.

@onerez said:
    So..... what are the advantages of midi out other then using different synths? Is there any type of random sequencing that sunvox can do? I see this video done by @echoopera looks like he was using stand alone? Is there any reason that you could not now do this via AU?

Thanks!!

• @wim said:

@onerez said:

Silly question! Who would not rather program in all their midi in hexadecimal??
    Atom Piano Roll 2 is doomed before birth if Sunvox gets AU midi-out first.

Are you smoking them funny cigarettes again 😜😜.

I think I need to go back to my 6 string acoustic and not hurt my head. 😂

• @onerez said:

Thanks!!

Sunvox does not have MIDI out when loaded as AU. The MIDI out only works when it runs standalone. AU MIDI Out is promised for a future release.

The Sunvox sequencer has "effects" like glide, interpolation, etc. Some of those effects are randomizers of various sorts. Here are some demos:

• I still don't understand, why anybody would run SunVox sequencer as AU, even if this is possible now.

When added as Synth, OK!

When used as effect, OK!

But as sequencer?

Whatever

• @tja said:
    I still don't understand, why anybody would run SunVox sequencer as AU, even if this is possible now.

When added as Synth, OK!

When used as effect, OK!

But as sequencer?

Whatever

One might want the MIDI out if the new pitch to note stuff works well.

• edited November 2020

The shortest answer to "why" is "because it's already there, why not try it?". It cost so little and comes with so much, it'd be a shame not to explore what it has to offer.

Some reasons to try using the MIDI out for sequencing:

Sunvox sequencer for sequencing other synths:

• No limit to the pattern length so you can record a linear sequence if you want, and thus play back a linear sequence.
    • PPQN resolution is pretty nice. 96 is doable. This one person claimed even higher but I'm not sure.
    • Can do mid-song tempo change

I'm sure other users will think of other reasons.

If the MIDI out can be used in AU, then you don't have to switch screens between it and, say, AUM.

• @cian said:

@Samu said:

Eh?

Sun vox defines ancient as a palm pilot.

😂 no kidding

• edited November 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:
    I still don't understand, why anybody would run SunVox sequencer as AU, even if this is possible now.

When added as Synth, OK!

When used as effect, OK!

But as sequencer?

Whatever

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

When added as Synth, OK!

When used as effect, OK!

But as sequencer?

Whatever

Because Midi AU fx are amazing! And having a tracker as midi sequencer in AUM, would be dope af.