Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NI M32 or Xkey 37 as a portable piano midi controller?

I'm currently weighing up between the Native Instruments M32 and the Xkey 37 (non-air model), to use with a sustain pedal.

I have a Nanokey Studio, which I use for a portable midi controller, and an Arturia Keylab, which is currently in storage 1,000 kms away, but will be great when I have it back.

But I'm looking specifically for a keyboard I can fit in my travel bag, and use for piano practice and composing.

I've narrowed it down to the M32 and the Xkey 37, and am looking for feedback from people who have used one or both of these. I note that Christian Henson, founder of Spitfire Audio, used the Xkey 37 originally, but later switched to the M32.

I'm most tempted by the M32 right now, as I love it's controller features for when I work on my laptop too, in Ableton etc. I understand that I need to use the M32 with a powered hub with my iPad, which is not an issue, and that I need to buy the adapter cable for the Xkey 37 in order to use a sustain pedal.

Please share your pros and cons, if you have used either or both keyboards.

Comments

• FYI if you plan to use with iOS the NI keyboard is not officially supported (no idea if it might work anyway)

• @mangecoeur said:
    FYI if you plan to use with iOS the NI keyboard is not officially supported (no idea if it might work anyway)

I checked. It works if you use a powered USB hub.

• Loved my Xkey 37 but the connector bit (technical term) got fucked somehow (clumsiness probably, but nothing obviously violent) and that was that. Looked up elsewhere and this is NOT an uncommon problem (apparently). Bought the bluetooth version and have had no problems since. LOVE the way it feels.

• I have the xkey 25, which is permanently in my backpack, along with a few roli lightpad m blocks. I move around a lot, and these keep me sane when I’m away from my instruments at home. I love how expressive it is, it’s durable as well. In my 3 years of using this keyboard the connector thingy hasn’t failed, though I’ve heard others’ experience with it. You should know that the usb port on the xkey is not universal in the sense that here’s very little space above the port, meaning regular micro usb cables won’t work. Don’t lose the one cable you get with it/order a backup. The one thing that slightly bothers me with the xkey are the relatively big gaps between the keys (I have small hands), but that might be an upside to you.

I don’t have any meaningful input re the m32, would love to hear what keyboard you end up with.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Loved my Xkey 37 but the connector bit (technical term) got fucked somehow (clumsiness probably, but nothing obviously violent) and that was that. Looked up elsewhere and this is NOT an uncommon problem (apparently). Bought the bluetooth version and have had no problems since. LOVE the way it feels.

If I had the money, I'd take the Xkey for my iPad and the M32 for my laptop. Therein lies the dilemma. Is there a way to add a sustain pedal with the Xkey Air 37? I thought it was only possible with the USB version, plus an adaptor?

• edited February 2021

So I’m finally in a position to buy this new keyboard. I’m selling my Arturia KeyLab, and may or may not keep my Korg Nanokey Studio. I’m choosing between Xkey Air 37 and Xkey 37 wired model.

I might also keep the Nanokey to use for travel, or I may replace it with an Xkey Air 25.

Alongside, I want a bluetooth pad controller, and am looking at a choice between the Roli Light Pad, and a Sensel Morph. Any comments on this choice are welcome too.

My main question is which might be better, the air or the wired 37 key version?

Any last bits of advice for me, before I purchase this weekend?