Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sending app visuals to projector/monitor

edited April 2014 in General App Discussion

Are there any ways to send what's happening on your iDevice screen as a video feed (or some such) to a monitor/projector? Some apps have interesting visuals that could be incorporated into a live gig if someone was savvy enough to come up with a gimmick...

Comments

• This may not be ideal depending on potential latency issues, but you could always Airplay the visuals. I've tried it before with audio but seemed like too much lag for realtime.

• Behringer is202 has video out.

One thing I've done is run the apple's a/v adapter hdmi into a capable receiver into an HDTV, great sound quality great video qualify. Works great.

Both options keep your device charged.

• @WMWM Will this HDMI adapter method mirror the iPad screen full time or does it only send the video from certain apps that are authorized to send video out?

• Problem with the HDMI adapter is my efforts so far it does not support the CCK. But now Apollo ight fix that - connect my kbd to my iPhone. hmmm.

• edited April 2014

@Hmtx, I have had no problems with any I have used in that manner, Alchemy for example. I would be interested to know if there are any so I could avoid those apps, I dislike when features are disabled.

@dwarman I like that thought, if you would, please give us your findings.

I would like to see a way to send video out of the dock from an app that sits in the background. For example using a fractal program or Conway's game of life, set it to video out through dock connector, send audio out through headphone jack of an app that is displayed on ipad. Call it "AVbus" :) Maybe not possible, I'm no ios coder, but dwarman, you might have a solution.

• edited April 2014

Dbl post

• Unfortunately Apple does not allow a backgrounded app to display anything to external video, which is too bad.

• This is sad apple!
    What would be a solution if airplay let you grab your sound seperat on the stereo out, but its a poor apple politic which blocks them.
    The only solution now to bring the screen out is, to grab it with a external cam....:-(

If someone knows it better , PLEASE tell!

• @sonosaurus, you definitely know the code, so I'll throw this out there, what if instead of two separate programs the video and audio were generated from one. Youtube through safari for example will display a separate display a separate screen (that has controls) than what is being output (displayed) on the monitor. Maybe like audiobus. Is that possible? Just brainstorming here, please don't think I am being presumptuous.

• my benringer is202 only shows netflix with the vid out ...it doesnt even work with youtube.....they said i need to update the firmware for the is202

• edited April 2014

@WMWM said:

@sonosaurus, you definitely know the code, so I'll throw this out there, what if instead of two separate programs the video and audio were generated from one. Youtube through safari for example will display a separate display a separate screen (that has controls) than what is being output (displayed) on the monitor. Maybe like audiobus. Is that possible? Just brainstorming here, please don't think I am being presumptuous.

Yes, apps can display different video content on the separate external screen, but they have to be in the foreground. The moment they go to the background, the video gets shut off. As long as the app that produces the video is in the foreground you are good, this is whether you are just displaying a mirrored version of the screen, or separate video content.

I bet there are some apps that take virtual MIDI input (or even audio input via audiobus) and produce some cool visualizations based on it. If there aren't, there should be!

• Thanks for the information.

• can the is202 show apps....if so can you tell me the settings

• I have written MIDI mediated visualizer on Windows. Just do not have the iOS dev system to port it. Any one want to collaborate?

• edited April 2014

Like Milkdrop 2 on ios? sweet.

• Vidibox says -
    External screen support to display projects with the app hidden?

• @Fitz said:

Vidibox says -
    External screen support to display projects with the app hidden?

They probably just mean that the app UI is not shown on the external screen (eg. not mirroring).

• Ah yes, as you were explaining earlier!

• audio-mediated vis. that takes input from audiobus would be rad too haha