Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How best to slow down / time-stretch audio?

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    Was looking into this topic recently again. Would anytune pro top the quality of Audiostretch? @Atlesbe Definitely Audiostretch is better than anything else I tried (eg Segments) and although Auditor manual says it would get stretching in an update, it looks like it never got that update, did it? Anything better than audiostretch these days? AUv3 that can be loaded in FX slot would be particularly welcome, but must be top quality, which rules out Segments, sadly.

I don't have AudioStretch. Many apps are much better than sEGments. I post a comparison of sEGmentd. BeatMaker 3 and Koala. BM3 and Koala were dramatically better than sEGments. People were split on their Koala/BM3 prefs.

Auria, Twisted Wave, Cubasis, Launchpad, BlocsWave seem of similar quality to BM3. Auditor is pretty good (much better than sEGments) and has a lot of settings to optimize for a particular situation but its default settings are maybe not quite as good as the best apps.

The best apps compare favorably to Ableton Live and Serato Sample.

• Thanks @espiegel123 I barely know how to use auditor, and this function is not covered in the manual, would u mind explaining or showing whether auditor can do that popped into an fx slot in aum?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Was looking into this topic recently again. Would anytune pro top the quality of Audiostretch? @Atlesbe Definitely Audiostretch is better than anything else I tried (eg Segments) and although Auditor manual says it would get stretching in an update, it looks like it never got that update, did it? Anything better than audiostretch these days? AUv3 that can be loaded in FX slot would be particularly welcome, but must be top quality, which rules out Segments, sadly.

I don't have AudioStretch. Many apps are much better than sEGments. I post a comparison of sEGmentd. BeatMaker 3 and Koala. BM3 and Koala were dramatically better than sEGments. People were split on their Koala/BM3 prefs.

Auria, Twisted Wave, Cubasis, Launchpad, BlocsWave seem of similar quality to BM3. Auditor is pretty good (much better than sEGments) and has a lot of settings to optimize for a particular situation but its default settings are maybe not quite as good as the best apps.

The best apps compare favorably to Ableton Live and Serato Sample.

And yes, segments audio stretching is quite simply appalling quality, there's just no other way to say it, shockingly bad

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks @espiegel123 I barely know how to use auditor, and this function is not covered in the manual, would u mind explaining or showing whether auditor can do that popped into an fx slot in aum?

Auditor is standalone. Timestretch is manual page 38 (page number at bottom of page).

• BM3, Cubasis, AuriaPro, ZenBeats and likely a few others (BeatHawk, Launchpad and Blocs Wave?) use Z-Plane's Elastique.
    Twisted Wave uses Zynaptiq's ZTX.

Forgot the name of the 'engine' Koala used but it's not ZTX or Elastique.

Then there's a bunch of apps that use the built-in Apple Stuff used by GarageBand to pitch & stretch the AppleLoops.

I might have forgotten some of the engines in used by various apps...

• @Samu said:
    BM3, Cubasis, AuriaPro, ZenBeats and likely a few others (BeatHawk, Launchpad and Blocs Wave?) use Z-Plane's Elastique.
    Twisted Wave uses Zynaptiq's ZTX.

Forgot the name of the 'engine' Koala used but it's not ZTX or Elastique.

Then there's a bunch of apps that use the built-in Apple Stuff used by GarageBand to pitch & stretch the AppleLoops.

I might have forgotten some of the engines in used by various apps...

Koala doesn't use an external library. It's developer wrote his own time stretching code.

• @espiegel123 said:

Koala doesn't use an external library. It's developer wrote his own time stretching code.

True, it was 'inspired' by certain stretch methods, that's what he told me when I was on the beta...
    One of them was close to how rex files work, another how classic trackers use sample offset to trigger the sample.

Nevertheless he did an amazing job with Koala :)

• Thanks Anickt> @anickt said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks @espiegel123 I barely know how to use auditor, and this function is not covered in the manual, would u mind explaining or showing whether auditor can do that popped into an fx slot in aum?

Auditor is standalone. Timestretch is manual page 38 (page number at bottom of page).

• You can also use Loopy, by adjusting the bpm after importing a sample, and then exporting it again. AudioStretch is easier, though.

• @espiegel123 said:

Yeah... I recall from your tests being on the fence regarding Koala and BM3, one had better stretching algorithm, but the other kept a better sample quality frequency-wise.

• Audiostretch is really excellent. I'd love it so much if it could be loaded as an fx in aum.

• edited May 2021

@Gavinski said:
    Audiostretch is really excellent. I'd love it so much if it could be loaded as an fx in aum.

Most developers don't like the idea of introducing buffers for "realtime" stretching so it might end up as a pitch shifter only effect... Worth a request though.
    Someone has to do it first.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Audiostretch is really excellent. I'd love it so much if it could be loaded as an fx in aum.

Most developers don't like the idea of introducing buffers for "realtime" stretching so it might end up as a pitch shifter only effect... Worth a request though.
    Someone has to do it first.

I've written to audiostretch dev before, got no reply, tried again today, let's see....

• DJay Pro is better timestretch than AudioStretch and it’s not even close.

I’d say it comparable to pitch n time, so I don’t think anything else on iOS is even close. Useful for finding key (most of the time) as well. I just throw a song on dJay, change the bpm then record the whole song on there and chop it on blocs. It’s quick enough.

• @SealTeamSick said:
    DJay Pro is better timestretch than AudioStretch and it’s not even close.

I’d say it comparable to pitch n time, so I don’t think anything else on iOS is even close. Useful for finding key (most of the time) as well. I just throw a song on dJay, change the bpm then record the whole song on there and chop it on blocs. It’s quick enough.

Could you post some examples? Do you have any of the other apps listed as doing a good job with this? (Beatmaker 3, Koala, Cubasis, Twisted Wave, Auria Pro, BlocsWave..)

I would be interested in a comparison with something else whose quality is known to be good. I am somewhat skeptical that it is significantly better than say BeatMaker 3 or the other apps listed earlier as being good -- given that even Ableton Live and Serato Sample which people rave about are not dramatically better.

I would love to be wrong -- so, if you could provide some examples that would be great.

• Damn, was just playing with Auditor's stretching abilities...pretty impressive . There's some good controls that address transient threshold, transient decay, phase etc. Or if the transients aren't as important and you're dealing with more ambient stuff it can also get really washy and smeary. Controls are under the Expert setting.

• Most decent desktop DAWs have a few controls over realtime and offline timestretching, in addition to many different algorithms that're designed for different source material. Is it for drum loops? Vocals? Horns? Sustained chord pads? Single notes? Multiple notes?

"significantly better" is vague when describing ts algos, as it depends on the source material, type of music, ears, etc. It's like comparing a Strat vs a 335 for blues.

• @SealTeamSick said:

Yup, this used to be my main sampling workflow. Was one of the reasons I made the iOS Shortcut, "Send Audio to App"

https://routinehub.co/shortcut/5189/

• @Gavinski said:

Auditor also installs an AU file player you can load in an instrument slot and load the sample you just edited in the standalone. I use this fileplayer a lot over the AUM one, but both have their use cases.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@SealTeamSick said:

Yup, this used to be my main sampling workflow. Was one of the reasons I made the iOS Shortcut, "Send Audio to App"

https://routinehub.co/shortcut/5189/

could you post a comparison of the same audio timestretched in DJay Pro and say BlocsWave or BeatMaker 3?

• No love for Slow Machine?

• edited May 2021

Can someone PLEASE track down the Intua/BM3 developer who left and have him make a "new" version of the BM3 sampler as an AU? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? I don't need anything else from beatmaker. Just. The. Sampler.

• @Samu said:
    BM3, Cubasis, AuriaPro, ZenBeats and likely a few others (BeatHawk, Launchpad and Blocs Wave?) use Z-Plane's Elastique.

Which version of Elastique?

• That one I do know! Thanks tho~

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@Gavinski said:

Auditor also installs an AU file player you can load in an instrument slot and load the sample you just edited in the standalone. I use this fileplayer a lot over the AUM one, but both have their use cases.

• @Intrepolicious said:
    No love for Slow Machine?

It is great, but it changes pitch, we’re talking about changing speed without changing pitch

• @ocelot said:

@Samu said:

Which version of Elastique?

Version 3 last time I checked.
    Cubasis lets you select between 3 CPU-Usage options, BM3 has two options. The formant options are missing in BM3 while they arr present in Cubasis. I guess ZenBeats uses the basic one since there’s hardly any options.

The amount of options depends highly on wich licensing model they opted to pay for.

• Does auditor allow the kind of live scrubbing that I was doing in that example I posted with audiostretch? That is essential in what I am looking for

• Audio stretch is amazing you can totally change a song by scrubbing back and forth on the timeline

• @Gavinski said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    No love for Slow Machine?

It is great, but it changes pitch, we’re talking about changing speed without changing pitch

Ah, I see. AudioStretch it is then. Doesn’t it do playback at zero speed? That’s mind boggling to me!

• @Gavinski said:
    Does auditor allow the kind of live scrubbing that I was doing in that example I posted with audiostretch? That is essential in what I am looking for

No it doesn't. wish it did..that example was really cool. Auditor has normal audio scrubbing, in the timeline ..like a DAW, but not within the time stretching function. And not nearly the level of granularity heard in the post. not even close. That almost reminded me of actual granular apps. Do you have Quanta?