Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Developers: Mac Mini M1 for iOS / iPadOS programming?

2»

Comments

• Thanks, @NeonSilicon

Interesting information

• But famous IOS developers are raving about them. Reference Marco Arment on today’s ATP. Overcast builds faster on the M1 Air than his iMac Pro. 😁

https://overcast.fm/+R7DWXqqm0/47:00

• I had the PowerBook 100 - the first PowerBook. It had a lead acid battery... :neutral:

• @Skyvalleystudio said:
    But famous IOS developers are raving about them. Reference Marco Arment on today’s ATP. Overcast builds faster on the M1 Air than his iMac Pro. 😁

https://overcast.fm/+R7DWXqqm0/47:00

Apple's been planning and building for this for a long time. Really, they've been ready to do this since before they even brought out OS X. If your workflow is with their tools or the open source stuff they use and enable, you are going to be ready to go right now and the machines look amazing. If you depend on some third party stuff that is itself more complicated, there's going to be a bit of a pain for a while. But, that's a big part of why Apple released the Mini. It's a good relatively cheap machine to start doing the transition on.

• @qryss said:
    I had the PowerBook 100 - the first PowerBook. It had a lead acid battery... :neutral:

I remember being pretty impressed when I first saw one of those. The first portable that I actually did own was the Thinkpad 701c. The original and only true "butterfly keyboard."

• @tahiche said:

@tja said:

@audiobussy said:

@rs2000 said:
    Are you sure you'll always want so sit down at the same desk for development?
    I would always prefer a Macbook for development, you can take it with you and read or write code wherever you like.

From my perspective, the Mac mini is portable. I always have an iPad and an Apple keyboard and a Logitech mouse

You can run the Mini over the iPad display?!?
    :-O

Interested in this too. How easy and reliable is it?.. do you need external apps?

https://medium.com/macoclock/setup-macmini-ipad-pro-a80876b10959

• @rthr said:

@tahiche said:

@tja said:

@audiobussy said:

@rs2000 said:
    Are you sure you'll always want so sit down at the same desk for development?
    I would always prefer a Macbook for development, you can take it with you and read or write code wherever you like.

From my perspective, the Mac mini is portable. I always have an iPad and an Apple keyboard and a Logitech mouse

You can run the Mini over the iPad display?!?
    :-O

Interested in this too. How easy and reliable is it?.. do you need external apps?

https://medium.com/macoclock/setup-macmini-ipad-pro-a80876b10959

Quite interesting, thanks.

• I found this, where it in general seems to be a problem to connect external display to Macs, also to the M1 Mini

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-m1-ultra-wide-monitor-issues.2269273

By far not all displays are supported in a way that fonts are clearly readable and i cannot find some information from Apple.

• @tja said:
    I found this, where it in general seems to be a problem to connect external display to Macs, also to the M1 Mini

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-m1-ultra-wide-monitor-issues.2269273

By far not all displays are supported in a way that fonts are clearly readable and i cannot find some information from Apple.

There are going to be some issues at the beginning for sure, but this one sounds like what my output looks like when my TV connection to my Windows computer or Nintendo gets the wrong setup from the TV. To fix these issues, I have to force my TV into the correct "I'm a TV" or "I'm a monitor" mode for the device in question.

One downside to the Mini for sure though is that to get a high res P3 capable display costs a ton. I still haven't seen a display that I'd trade the 5k display on my dev iMac for that I can even afford.

Generally speaking, hooking a Mac up to an external monitor is pretty straight forward and easy to a standard computer monitor. But, if you are going to run from the Air or the MacBook you are best off getting the USB-C or Thunderbolt adaptor from Apple that works with the laptop and display input you are going to use. We have a couple of them we use with various displays and they work fine.

• I found this to be quite interesting:

I already wanted to go for 16GB, but now that is sure.

• The SSD's in the Mac are quite good. They aren't going to wear badly. I've been using much worse SSD's for over 10 years in machines and I've never had a failure.

Also, I have 24 gigs in my Mac right now. Even with that, I have 6GB currently sitting on swap. That's just the way that Unix systems work with their VM. They arrange this for performance reasons too, not just because they are running low on RAM. A 16GB M1 is still going to be using swap.

That said, I'm still going to do 16GB if I get one of the M1 Macs. RAM never hurts, lack of RAM always hurts.

• tjatja
    edited November 2020

I saw this:

Quite interesting.

I will probably wait longer than a few weeks before ordering.

And that SSDs seem not such good, @NeonSilicon

• @tja said:
    I saw this:

Quite interesting.

I will probably wait longer than a few weeks before ordering.

And that SSDs seem not such good, @NeonSilicon

I've had zero issues with my Mini so far. I've been hammering it pretty hard over the last couple of days. So far, the fan hasn't even kicked on for pretty intense compilations that would have had my iMac in leaf blower mode. The SSD is screaming fast. It's about 50% faster than the M.2 drive I have on my iMac and that's about the fastest drive you can put in a Thunderbolt enclosure. The only way it could be better would be if you stuck the things in a RAID. They certainly aren't holding the thing back as a dev machine.

• I just updated my Xcode installation.
    You would'nt believe, but it now supports iOS / iPadOS 14.5
    No, not 14.6

Again, the develoment environment is behind the actual OS version.
    Why?!?

• @tja said:
    I just updated my Xcode installation.
    You would'nt believe, but it now supports iOS / iPadOS 14.5
    No, not 14.6

Again, the develoment environment is behind the actual OS version.
    Why?!?

In this case the latest stable version of Xcode was released about a month before the current stable iOS. Unless there are API changes between the versions of iOS, it doesn't make any difference in the deployment of the apps. The App Store will only be taking submissions signed and built against the current Xcode anyway. Bug fixes and such in the latest released version of the OS are going to be working with the apps built with the previous current development SDK.

If you really need to test/work against newer (even beta) SDK's you can have parallel installs of the Xcode beta and the stable Xcode. I always have both installed on my dev machine. You can usually only sign and submit applications built with the current stable Xcode.

• Ah, thanks for the information, @NeonSilicon
    I would expect the development kit to be ahead or at least on par of the current OS versions.
    Anyway ...

• @tja said:
    Ah, thanks for the information, @NeonSilicon
    I would expect the development kit to be ahead or at least on par of the current OS versions.
    Anyway ...

The beta Xcode and beta OS releases are pretty tightly synced. The stable Xcode is less so. This also shows in the macOS and iOS betas being synced. In the release versions, these aren't synced very much either. Same thing goes with watchOS and tvOS. Although watchOS and iOS are pretty coupled.

I think they only try to keep the Xcode and iOS stable releases synced when API breaking changes have been made.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    in leaf blower mode.

I ❤️ this so much. Perfect.