Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need help with importing midi file into Genome Sequencer

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but every time I attempt to import a midi file into Genome, I get the message "new patterns have been added" but the new data set is blank. I've tried several different midi files. My process has been:

Put midi files into Genome folder in itunes.
In Genome, click on the 'i' button of a blank track.
Click "import pattern".
Select the midi file and "import midi".
It adds some new grey boxes to the track and says "new patterns have been added".
The resulting boxes are empty, nothing plays when I push play.

FWIW these are piano midi tracks that I'm importing into an iPad 4, iOS 7.1.

Thanks.

Comments

• What type are the MIDI files? 0, 1 or 2?

• Not sure. They're single channel if that's what you're asking.

I was able to import a midi file in the 'pencil' detail window of a track. In the upper right corner is an 'i' button, then there's a tab where you can choose midi import or export. That worked for me.

• edited April 2014

I'm not sure if your last paragraph means you found a workaround or were only able to display the data. Your file sounds like it's probably type 0. I don't have Genome, so I'm assuming you're talking about a track edit window. It would make sense if that understands type 0 files.

What I do know is this:

Midi file type 0 is single channel, i.e. just one instrument part.
    Midi file type 1 is multiple channel, i.e. several parts for different instruments, to play back in paralell.
    Midi file type 2 is a meta file of multiple single channel parts with no particular relationship between them, like a library of patterns, not necessarily for simultaneous playback.

I read that Genome used to export Midi files as type 2, but then switched to 1. I couldn't find any reference to file import, but it would make sense if it supported both types 1 and 2. Perhaps Genome file load doesn't support type 0?

If you can load the file into another Midi sequencer, perhaps on a desktop PC, and save it as a type 1 or 2 file, that might be another way to get the data into Genome.

• Thank you for your reply, Paul. I was able to find a work around to the problem, or rather I don't think the app was designed to import general midi in the main window. I believe it was designed to import saved "Genome patterns", which are also midi files. I'm not sure what the difference would be between the Genome midi files and general ones. I'm using Type 0 and maybe they are saved in a different format, not sure. If you get into the grid on any bar of any track, you can import general midi files there.

• edited April 2014

I would assume that for the main file imports Genome expects type 1, possibly type 2, but not type 0.
    For a single track import from the grid display, only type 0 makes sense. If you then save the result as a normal Genome midi file, I suspect that will then be type 1.