Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beginning Vocal Setup

Okay I don’t use anything to make beats, I basically just upload my instrumental to GarageBand and record my vocals there. Hoping to get a more professional studio quality sound I brought AUM and Audiobus. Now I don’t quite know how to set up everything right to get things in motion. Is there any basic vocal presets (preferably Free) I can download and start recording without runnin into issues? I basically a lil blueprint to get started and I can get wavy with the rest. Also I’m recording off my iPhone and I’m using the earphones it came with.

Oh and is there anyway I can put everything on my phone into my iCloud so I can save storage on my phone, I brought extra cloud storage and now I can’t really utilize it. Please someone send me an angel to help through this rough passage, once I’m up and running it’s over with!

«1

Comments

  • edited November 2020

    .

  • I said I’m just using my EarPods, no interface, and I make all kinds of music..

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @FlavaFlame21 said:
    Okay I don’t use anything to make beats, I basically just upload my instrumental to GarageBand and record my vocals there. Hoping to get a more professional studio quality sound I brought AUM and Audiobus.

    Stick to GarageBand - the vocal processing there is way better than what you're going to get in AUM. In your shoes GB is going to be the better option anyway, AUM doesn't have a timeline so it's pain to make actual songs with it, whereas GB is tailor-made for what you are trying to do.

    And you can sorta get good result using nothing but the built-in mic, but you would be better trying to use the phone mic rather than the earpods IMO.

  • Here's a demo of someone recording a song using the iPhone mic:

    The main problem with the phone mic is that it's noisy and lacks low-end, but you can just about get away with it.

  • @richardyot said:
    Here's a demo of someone recording a song using the iPhone mic:

    The main problem with the phone mic is that it's noisy and lacks low-end, but you can just about get away with it.

    Thanks for bringing that! Super useful.

  • @richardyot said:
    The main problem with the phone mic is that it's noisy and lacks low-end, but you can just about get away with it.

    Yes you can... if you set the phone to measurement mode ;)
    The default mic setup is auto gain adjustment (that does the noisy part) and a fairly aggressive highpass filter (killing low end). Measurement mode switches both off.

    You can record in 24bit and since the iPhone 5s you can expect a 60dB signal to noise ratio, a very respective figure (considering the small size of the transducer).
    The mic is a MEMS type (or rather an array of mics) with omni directional character, so there‘s no proximity effect as on most external mics.

    With a car-holder or similiar the phone can be mounted to a mic stand and even a pop-shield makes sense, if that‘s you setup for some time.
    It‘s a bit annoying that the phone is tilted the wrong way if positioned best for direct adressing, but that‘s just how it is.

    The most serious concern is the acoustic of the recording location, which is captured by an omni-directional mic. The most compact remedy is a couple of acoustic foam absorbers (Basotect) mounted to mobile cloth stands that you position around you.
    The foam is fairly expensive, but small and clean.
    For budget reason one can diy something similiar with rockwool or similiar material, sealed in plastic. Such treatment makes a bigger difference on the recording than another mic.

  • @Telefunky said:
    The most serious concern is the acoustic of the recording location, which is captured by an omni-directional mic. The most compact remedy is a couple of acoustic foam absorbers (Basotect) mounted to mobile cloth stands that you position around you.
    The foam is fairly expensive, but small and clean.
    For budget reason one can diy something similiar with rockwool or similiar material, sealed in plastic. Such treatment makes a bigger difference on the recording than another mic.

    I have a cheap solution to this issue: I use acoustic foam panels glued to stiff card which are mounted on bookstands, and I place these on either side of me on the desk to help to deaden the room. It works reasonably well, and was extremely cheap to set up (I just bought the acoustic foam on Amazon and made the mounts with basic craft materials).

    My room is extremely reverberant because it has no soft furnishings. It's bare walls and a wooden floor with blinds:

    So when I need to record my voice I use the home-made panels on my desk (with some additional foam stuck to the wall directly in front of me):

    You can hear the difference with and without by listening to this file:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwt2vm2x2wfolvj/acoustic foam panels testing.wav?dl=0

    I record tutorials professionally, which is why I need this, but I do also use this setup when recording vocals for my songs.

  • I remember seeing a video where the internal mic was used and the singer was under a blanket. Turned out pretty good.

  • Using your iPhone/Ipad’s internal mic can yield pretty good results but ideally you want a usb audio interface.
    I was going to suggest voicerack fx by tc helicon but it looks like it’s been pulled from the AppStore.
    You could try
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audioeffx/id1173816162

    Or

    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/magellan/id544119998

    AudioffX is a multieffect app that will give you most of the bread and butter effects required.
    Magellan is a synthesiser but if you put it in the effect slot of either Audiobus or AUM it will act as a multieffect unit. I’m sure there’s others but this is what I got from the top of my head.

  • Having said all that, if you’re already using garage band you might just as well use their built in effects as well?

  • If you hear background noise on your vocals, I recommend downloading “Brusfri” app. It’ll kill that noise

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @NoiseHorse said:
    If you hear background noise on your vocals, I recommend downloading “Brusfri” app. It’ll kill that noise

    +1 Brusfri is one of the best apps I’ve bought. It is versatile too, from a “noise gate” type thing for guitar signals as well as for clearing up any mic recordings. I’ve used it with great success for podcast / spoken word applications. Of course you want to get the best possible recording but sometimes there are limits (no good acoustic space, lack of funds for hardware, etc).

  • edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Use Brusfri if needed.

  • But yes a simple mic (shure is best option on low end) and pop filter is a must for vocals. If mic has XLR connection you will need an adapter like this
    https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SmartRig-II-Profession-Microphone/dp/B071WFH879/ref=pd_sbs_23_3/138-0048048-1008708?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071WFH879&pd_rd_r=f74e5a91-ea3f-4a2a-b3a3-930610de28b5&pd_rd_w=k4trz&pd_rd_wg=x81C6&pf_rd_p=ff9b5089-1414-4e8f-9675-3397e98bf276&pf_rd_r=SQKKE4DVGTR5548E1T33&psc=1&refRID=SQKKE4DVGTR5548E1T33

    However there are Bluetooth mics, usb mics, and mics with a 3.5mm jack at the end.

  • I just Need the set up to get all the effects and stuff I put on aum and Audiobus into GarageBand with no problem.. Like without running into any problems, that’s all I’m asking for.. Like how do I set this up..

  • edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And where does Aum come in??

  • @Max23 said:
    open audiobus
    press plus on input
    choose mic

    fx slot
    insert your fx here

    output slot
    choose garageband to record in garageband

    And I press record on AudioBus or GarageBand, and where does aum come in cause I can put more effects there..

  • Aum, mic, fx, Audiobus, garage band, press record in GarageBand

  • @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Aum, mic, fx, Audiobus, garage band, press record in GarageBand

    I did not understand how you put that, you just named a whole bunch of stuff. You Saying Start wit AUM load up the effects, send it to AudioBus and then send that to GarageBand?? Is it a way you can screenshot the layout??

  • edited October 2020

    I actually made that more convoluted than I needed to

  • @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I actually made that more convoluted than I needed to

    Yessssss‼️ okay, and it get recorded straight like that with all the effects I had on aum.. I’m not able to edit those vocals after that??

  • @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I actually made that more convoluted than I needed to

    And is there just no use for AudioBus?? Did I purchase it for nothing??

  • Using Audiobus and AUM at the same time is advanced stuff. Not necessary. Learn GB first. It may be all you need. Plenty of people have put out albums using nothing else.

  • @Telefunky said:

    @richardyot said:
    The main problem with the phone mic is that it's noisy and lacks low-end, but you can just about get away with it.

    Yes you can... if you set the phone to measurement mode ;)
    The default mic setup is auto gain adjustment (that does the noisy part) and a fairly aggressive highpass filter (killing low end). Measurement mode switches both off.

    You can record in 24bit and since the iPhone 5s you can expect a 60dB signal to noise ratio, a very respective figure (considering the small size of the transducer).
    The mic is a MEMS type (or rather an array of mics) with omni directional character, so there‘s no proximity effect as on most external mics.

    With a car-holder or similiar the phone can be mounted to a mic stand and even a pop-shield makes sense, if that‘s you setup for some time.
    It‘s a bit annoying that the phone is tilted the wrong way if positioned best for direct adressing, but that‘s just how it is.

    The most serious concern is the acoustic of the recording location, which is captured by an omni-directional mic. The most compact remedy is a couple of acoustic foam absorbers (Basotect) mounted to mobile cloth stands that you position around you.
    The foam is fairly expensive, but small and clean.
    For budget reason one can diy something similiar with rockwool or similiar material, sealed in plastic. Such treatment makes a bigger difference on the recording than another mic.

    How do I set "measurement mode"?

  • edited January 18

    Measurement mode only applies to the internal mic/headset input, and is set per app individually. Hence you find in setup under input options.
    With any interface connected to 30pin, Lightning or USB-c it‘s not relevant at all.
    (except in some recent apps that manage to slip the internal mic input parallel to the interface)

Sign In or Register to comment.