Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EGDR808 Sync problem in GarageBand

Hi guys I’m struggling badly with EGDR808 in Garageband on my iPad. I create a pattern in 808 and then export it to GB but when I import it to GB I can’t get the pattern to sync correctly when I try to loop it even though I match GB tempo with the 808 pattern tempo.
I have tried it with Audiobus also but still the same jumpy loops - help please anyone

Comments

• @thestonedrummer said:
    Hi guys I’m struggling badly with EGDR808 in Garageband on my iPad. I create a pattern in 808 and then export it to GB but when I import it to GB I can’t get the pattern to sync correctly when I try to loop it even though I match GB tempo with the 808 pattern tempo.
    I have tried it with Audiobus also but still the same jumpy loops - help please anyone

Perhaps you could do a video showing your process.

• Sorry Espiegel no can do, way beyond my capabilities altogether.
    All I can say is that I record my pattern in Egdr808 then save it to my GarageBand file, then import it into GarageBand from this file and try to loop it.
    It works but not seamlessly like it should.
    Thanks for the reply though.

• @thestonedrummer said:
    Sorry Espiegel no can do, way beyond my capabilities altogether.
    All I can say is that I record my pattern in Egdr808 then save it to my GarageBand file, then import it into GarageBand from this file and try to loop it.
    It works but not seamlessly like it should.
    Thanks for the reply though.

To demonstrate, all you have to do is a screen recording. No special skills required. If you are using iOS 12 or later, it is built into the OS. Without seeing how you export it and import it (and what options you are choosing in GarageBand), it would be hard to know why it doesn't sync correctly.

If you have something like Audioshare, you can open your exported audio to check to see if the exported sound is the the correct length.

• Can’t post anything, telling me the file size is too large. See if this makes any sense, thanks.

• @thestonedrummer:

do you have AudioShare or Auditor? They have audio editors in which it would be simple to see if the file is in fact the right length.

Without seeing the actual audio file to see its length it is hard to know why it isn't working.

Btw, if you do a screen recording, post it to YouTube and add a link here.

You could also upload your file somewhere for people to download it. But if

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

Hey @thestonedrummer - I can confirm that EGDR808 exported wav files are messed up. They start about a quarter of a beat later than they should so that the beginning of the file misses the initial transient, and all the beats are off by that amount. The resulting file is shorter than it should be.

( attn: @ElliottGarage )

• One way to deal with the problem:

1. In EGDR go to song mode.
    2. Make a song with three instance of the pattern.
    3. Export the song.
    4. Import to GarageBand and drag the left side of the clip to the beginning of the first repeat of the pattern. (If looping is on for the clip, you need to turn it off.)
    5. Zoom in until you see "snap to Grid is off". Now fine-tune the start point of the clip.
    6. Zoom back out and drag the beginning to the start of the timeline.
    7. Now drag the left-hand side of the clip to the right ending beat.

I ran through these steps and was able to get a clean loop.

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

A much better way is to simply host EGDR808 directly in GarageBand.

1. Rather than adding a recorder track, add an External Instrument track.
    2. Select "Audio Unit Extensions", then EGDR808.
    3. Expand EGDR808 to full screen (tap the diagonal arrows at the top-right of the GarageBand keyboard). Now turn "Host Sync" on.
    4. When you press play in GarageBand, the pattern will start. You can use song mode too if you like.
  • Hey Wim thanks for all the help, one thing though Garageband still won’t record a track even with Sync Host on, it plays the pattern for sure but I can’t get it to record sadly, I keep getting the feeling that I’m missing something though

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

@thestonedrummer said:
    Hey Wim thanks for all the help, one thing though Garageband still won’t record a track even with Sync Host on, it plays the pattern for sure but I can’t get it to record sadly, I keep getting the feeling that I’m missing something though

Correct, you won't be recording the pattern, just playing it back if you host it in GarageBand ... which is the same thing sound-wise, but maybe not what you need.

I'm not sure what would happen if you soloed the track and exported the song. You might be able to get a recording that way.

Or, if you have AUM, you can host EGDR808 AU in there and use it to record an audio file loop to import into GarageBand.

• I tried soloing the track and exporting from GarageBand. The resulting audio file looks OK.

• Using Audiocopy now but same result and also in Cubasis 3 same non loopable tracks. I give up

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

@thestonedrummer said:
    Using Audiocopy now but same result and also in Cubasis 3 same non loopable tracks. I give up

Yes, the problem is with the export from EGDR808. It doesn't matter which DAW you drop the files in, they will be wrong. The way to get clean loops is to export a longer loop, then manually crop out the middle portion aligned to the beats.

Or, If you have AUM, it's quite easy to record a perfect loop using the AU.

• I was able to get a clean loop pretty quickly in AudioShare.

I brought this up to the dev a long time ago. Guess it never got fixed.

• @anickt said:
    I was able to get a clean loop pretty quickly in AudioShare.

Notice though, that the beginning transient is at the end of the file. It'll loop OK, but it isn't really right. That's why its necessary to string three patterns in a row, then slice out the middle one to get a perfect loop. More trouble than it's worth when there are other ways to do it, IMO.

• edited October 2020

@wim said:

@anickt said:
    I was able to get a clean loop pretty quickly in AudioShare.

Notice though, that the beginning transient is at the end of the file. It'll loop OK, but it isn't really right. That's why its necessary to string three patterns in a row, then slice out the middle one to get a perfect loop. More trouble than it's worth when there are other ways to do it, IMO.

You’re right and yes I am lazy! 🤣 but it’s easy enough to trim the transient first and then set the loop.

Still, the exported loop should be correct in the first place.

• Thanks so much guys, going to get AUM at the weekend and see how that goes, it’s been on my bucket list for a while anyway.

• When you do get it, you'll want to get familiar with the "Sync Quantum" setting under the metronome settings. This will make it so that recordings start and stop on even measure markers without you having to tap at exactly the right moment.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions! ✌🏼

• Thanks Wim will do 🙏