Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aum: how to avoid mic input defaults when external instruments disconnected?

2»

Comments

• I've experienced some frightening moments in AUM due to this issue. I would love it if we had some choice over this behavior. Is it possible?

• edited July 2021

I haven’t found any workaround besides following a consistent “runbook” of manual steps each time I want to open a project and when I want to take my iPad away from my desk even momentarily. Lovely software otherwise but this expectation is alien to mobile devices and easily missed.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    On my eternally long TODO list, there's one item about this. My idea is that AUM could detect that a route change is happening which would bring it back to "internal mic", and then automatically mute/bypass the input node. Or even mark the node as "unavailable" (red-striped) so user need to tap it to see a message about it, and then tap "reload", just like when an IAA/AUv3 node crashes.

However, I fail to see the real concern about this issue. If you have an external audio interface connected, it will use the ins and outs of that interface. If you unplug it, you also unplug the outputs so it will bring the device back to internal mic + speaker. I doubt any feedback between internal mic + speaker would be dangerous for your hearing! If that were the case, the same problem would arise if you just play music at max level with the internal speaker. And if that would be dangerous, Apple would get sued :) People are often scared about high pitched feedback noises, even though they're actually not loud.

Here's a really simple work-around: just turn down your internal speaker volume to 0%.

Cheers

I’ve also never been worried about this but I’ll share that I have had to rush home in the middle of a rehearsal across town about a year ago because my device spontaneously disconnected from the interface (had left my session open to continue later) and started to feed back internally through the AUM session routing. Was only the internal speakers but she was freaking out because she couldn’t figure out the source of the sound (our apt is quite open plan so we’ve got living space and working spaces in different parts of the same room).

Anyway again I’ve never been worried about this myself but might be useful to hear the situation.