Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using a USB midi controller as a brige to connect a midi controller without USB to iPad?

Let's say I want to plug 2 midi controller to my iPad.

Controller 1: USB MIDI + MIDI IN 5 pins + MIDI OUT 5 pins + MIDI THRU 5 pins
Controller 2: NO USB but MIDI OUT 5 pins

Is it possible to use the controller 1 as a "bridge"?

MIDI OUT of the controller 2 in the MIDI IN of the controller 1 and controller 1 via USB in my iPad?

So, if I play a note on controller 2, controller 1 will send this midi note to my iPad via USB? Do I miss something?

Thanks

Comments

• Sounds a bit complicated. What about this? Only needs to be plugged into the midi out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01--yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

I’ve got one and it worked well when I had a midi 5 pin keyboard.

• @mjcouche said:
    Sounds a bit complicated. What about this? Only needs to be plugged into the midi out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01--yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

I’ve got one and it worked well when I had a midi 5 pin keyboard.

If my method works ( I will try it tomorrow) I will save 55$ and the latency of the bluetooth.

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

It should work fine, as long as the two keyboards are on different midi channels. Many keyboards default to midi-thru off, so you may have to enable it in the keyboard settings somewhere.

• @wim said:
    It should work fine, as long as the two keyboards are on different midi channels. Many keyboards default to midi-thru off, so you may have to enable it in the keyboard settings somewhere.

Very important information. Thank you.

• I have a setup similar to this using a Novation Remote 25SL as the hub, works well. I've got 2 Roland drum pad units and a Line 6 foot controller connected to a 5-pin midi merger, then that connected to the Remote SL by 5-pin.

Only thing is I still prefer to stick a Yamaha bluetooth MD-BT01 in the back of the Remote SL and connect to my iPad with that rather than USB. The latency is minimal and not really an issue (for me anyway) and it saves a whole load of cable hassle (I can alternatively connect to my desktop). Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.