Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

recording hardware synths into ios..

so recently i’ve been using hardware more again and i have limited inputs on my focusrite 2i2 so to compensate i’m running my instruments into a behringer mixer and outputting that into the stereo inputs of the focusrite. i’m not very happy with the sound as i feel like i’m getting buzz and noise possibly distortion as well even tho i have pretty good quality cables and all the gains down pretty low...it does work tho and it’s stuff i’ve had laying around for years so i figured it’s good enough for just jamming around...although i feel like running the mixer to the focusrite might not squashing my audios quality..

what i’m curious about is if i should just plug my synths directly into focusrite in mono, rather than going thru the mixer or both inputs directly on the focusrite to get stereo signal... is it better to just use two synths at a time both in mono? and skipping the mixer all together?

i don’t know what’s better , i do want to do panning and have a good full sound and stereo field... do i lose that if i only use mono inputs for each synth??

Comments

• Hi,
    Have you tried either option to see/listen if the signal quality is better?

• @reasOne You could check for hookup issues, like ground loops, or unbalanced sources into balanced inputs. Try each instrument separately to see if they all have problems, or if there's one culprit. Also, is the mixer digital (which model)? Are you mixing analog sources digitally, then converting back to analog to digitize again in the audio interface?

• AUM - settings are helpful and then you can tweak pans

• I'd recommend not using the mixer and sending synth inputs directly into Focusrite, and using panning in AUM to create the stereo mix. AUM is best virtual mixer hands down.

• edited September 2020

yea sounds like a groundloop/cheap powerbrick (behringer), skip the mixer.
    I moved to battery power only - silent

• Do you use balanced cables? Do the synths support balanced outputs?

• edited September 2020

How long are the cables, etc.? There are so many factors that can cause hum. If you can eliminate something in the signal chain - for diagnosing or permanently - then try it out. So, yeah I'd take the mixer out of the mix (so to speak).

• Try connecting everything from the same power strip.

Try recording with the charger disconnected.

Check the power plugs for rust/dirt on the prongs.

Check inside the power plugs for loose connections.

• alright lots of great suggestions!
    i have some tests to run on these cables and trying the same power source.
    my cords are all different lengths and brands so i’l investigate those as well.

and actually @noob you’re right about this behringer power being cheap i actually have tape holding it together since the second week i’ve owned it 🤣

and yes some of the gear is analog going into what i assume are both digital mixers that could be an issue!?

• i’ll test going right into the interface i just assumed the sound wouldn’t be as big since it’s going into just a single /mono in... but i guess that’s what headphones do and they sound good 🤔

• @reasOne said:
    i’ll test going right into the interface i just assumed the sound wouldn’t be as big since it’s going into just a single /mono in... but i guess that’s what headphones do and they sound good 🤔

None of this going to help you but I have no issues taking a stereo out from my cheap Behringer 8:2 mixer. This then goes into a Steinberg UR22 MK2 interface. Efforts always recorded into Cubasis 3.

Synths are recorded one at a time even if they are only mono outputs. I just turn everything else down on the mixer when it's not that synths turn to be recorded.

I've thought about plugging each synth straight into the interface to cut out the mixer but I actually like the Behringer's aggressive sounding EQ and noise isn't a problem for me. I even use crappy home soldered cables of varying lengths and quality.

I told you I wouldn't be any help. Sorry :D

• edited September 2020

and maybe the Behringer mixer actually makes the sound worse, I dunno, test both and record the same thing, compare results