Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Unlocking the Yamaha FM Essentials app - "Reality TV Style" video

Earlier this year, I visited a music store to unlock the Yamaha FM Essentials app. But to keep things interesting, I recorded the ENTIRE process when I went to the music store with a friend. I discovered some cool things not really covered when you use the app.

">

Also, when I got a new iPhone 6S and I restored my backup data from the old phone 6, the Yamaha FM Essentials still remained.

And yes, the app is Auv3.

Comments

• It’s one of if not the best FM Synth for iOS!

Even though it’s AUv3 all instances share the same patch and it’s apparently ‘by desgn’.
    The TX81z patches are very, very close to the real deal but a bit ‘cleaner’.

For me backup & restore didn’t retain the unlock...

Thankfully the stores still stock the MX line but I do wish Yamaha would add a multi instance unlock IAP.

Cheers!

• It's the best FM synth I've used, period. Really hope Yamaha turn it in to a VST. Or at least let you use multiple instances of the app and let you unlock it with an in app purchase instead of going to the music store every time you get a new device.

• Wonder if the unlock works with just a USB-C > USB-B cable on the USB-C iPads?

• @Samu said:
    It’s one of if not the best FM Synth for iOS!

Even though it’s AUv3 all instances share the same patch and it’s apparently ‘by desgn’.
    The TX81z patches are very, very close to the real deal but a bit ‘cleaner’.

For me backup & restore didn’t retain the unlock...

Thankfully the stores still stock the MX line but I do wish Yamaha would add a multi instance unlock IAP.

Cheers!

Whoa, no way. Can’t believe it didn’t unlock. I remembered doing a full restore from the old phone into the new phone, and it was the first thing I checked as soon as the apps downloaded.

Yeah, thankfully some stores still stock it. I’m just hoping that they don’t discontinue the line of the FM synth as it’s really good.

@Dalle said:
    It's the best FM synth I've used, period. Really hope Yamaha turn it in to a VST. Or at least let you use multiple instances of the app and let you unlock it with an in app purchase instead of going to the music store every time you get a new device.

Agreed. The interface is well designed, and it does some serious modulation. In my case, I had to drive over an hour to find a place that had the keyboard to unlock the app.

@Samu said:
    Wonder if the unlock works with just a USB-C > USB-B cable on the USB-C iPads?

Good question. I’d assume it would work, but then again I currently don’t have a USB C iPad to test it.

• edited July 2021

@seonnthaproducer I’m going to hopefully unlock mine really soon possibly today and I’m curious what cable or connector actually connects the MX to the Camera Connector Kit? It looks like you had a small adapter in there but what was it? I want to make sure I take what I need.

If anyone knows I’d appreciate the help, cheers!

• @Poppadocrock said:

If anyone knows I’d appreciate the help, cheers!

When I unlocked mine I had all the needed cables with me, USB-A -> B and the classic CCK.
    It was just a matter of plugging in the USB-B end of the cable into the MX49II and USB-A to the CCK and the lightning plug into the iPad. Start the app and boom, done...

• Oh ok, I have that cable from a midi keyboard, and interface. I couldn’t quite make it out in the videos I watched, and it wasn’t mentioned. Now hopefully guitar center has one out on display, lol.

Thanks @Samu I’ve been wanting to do this for about 2 years now, I have an errand to run which is right next to Guitar center so I think it’s finally time.

• @Poppadocrock said:

Thanks @Samu I’ve been wanting to do this for about 2 years now, I have an errand to run which is right next to Guitar center so I think it’s finally time.

Yeah, FM Essentials is a nice app but it's pretty 'buggy'. Even though you can load multiple AUv3 instances you can only use one preset at one time (apparently this is by design!) and there's also some issues then freezing tracks in Cubasis containing FM Essentials, the Plug-In doesn't restore properly after un-freeze, again this is a 'Yamaha Issue' that they need to sort out...

But other than that the sounds make up for it!
    It's the most faithful re-creation of the originals :)

For me FM Essentials is 'Sampler Fodder' for BM3 and as such it's totally awesome!

Good luck!

• @Samu said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Yeah, FM Essentials is a nice app but it's pretty 'buggy'. Even though you can load multiple AUv3 instances you can only use one preset at one time (apparently this is by design!) and there's also some issues then freezing tracks in Cubasis containing FM Essentials, the Plug-In doesn't restore properly after un-freeze, again this is a 'Yamaha Issue' that they need to sort out...

But other than that the sounds make up for it!
    It's the most faithful re-creation of the originals :)

For me FM Essentials is 'Sampler Fodder' for BM3 and as such it's totally awesome!

Good luck!

Great to know man, thanks for the help. Cheers!

• Oh hey @Poppadocrock ,
    Yeah, I used a USB to USB B (printer cable) type adapter. The cable works as well.
    @Samu is right. The app is resource heavy so I tend to use only 1 instance of it. But the wide selection of patches, arpegiator, drum banks, and creative synth engine keeps pulling me back to the app.

I actually just made a video including FM essentials on my list of synths.

• Gotcha. Thanks @seonnthaproducer yea I’ve had the app for ages and always loved the way it sounded, the arp, and the morphing patch wheel. Haven’t unlocked it yet, been wanting to for sometime, especially since it went AUv3.

• I noticed at my gig last night that our keyboardist just got an mx49 as her second keyboard, but I didn’t have my cck with me or I would have downloaded the app and unlocked it to check it out. I’ll have to remember it next time I see that we’re on a gig together.

• @mrufino1 said:
    I noticed at my gig last night that our keyboardist just got an mx49 as her second keyboard, but I didn’t have my cck with me or I would have downloaded the app and unlocked it to check it out. I’ll have to remember it next time I see that we’re on a gig together.

Has to be a Mk II – check it is first, might save the bother of bringing it if it isn’t

• @u0421793 said:

@mrufino1 said:
    I noticed at my gig last night that our keyboardist just got an mx49 as her second keyboard, but I didn’t have my cck with me or I would have downloaded the app and unlocked it to check it out. I’ll have to remember it next time I see that we’re on a gig together.

Has to be a Mk II – check it is first, might save the bother of bringing it if it isn’t

Thanks, I’ll have to check that. She just got it and it was new, not used, so I’m going to guess yes, but it’s worth checking for sure.

• @u0421793 said:

@mrufino1 said:

Really. On Yamaha website it does say the MX in 3 different key sizes and 3 different colors, but I think the info is from a few years ago.

“ Download the free version of FM Essential, then take your iOS device to an authorized Yamaha dealer. Once in the store, connect to a Yamaha MX synthesizer to unlock the full version of FM Essential”

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/apps/fm_essential/index.html

Does more then one work…?