Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Audiobus Forum University of Music Production or Audio/Sound Engineering Discussion

McDMcD
edited September 17 in General App Discussion

Students are free to post questions and the faculty will respond during regular office hours.

Do not abuse the privilege of a free education. Choose you questions wisely. The faculty has independent research that will always take priority. Honey and flies, in other words. Vinegar is discourage. No refunds. Any credentials earned have zero accreditation. This is not some scam thread.

I'll start:

What exactly is a dB?

If anyone says it's 1/10th of a Bell I'll demand a refund. I configured 10dB and did NOT get a Bell sound. I'll await my answer.

«1

Comments

  • Who do I have to sleep with or blackmail around here to get an A, or is this pass/fail?

  • Three explanations come to mind.

    dB is the logarithmic measurement of sound.
    Basically in this context, sound pressure waves that we can hear.

    dBv and dBu are measurements of voltage.

    dBv where ,'v', is voltage and
    dBu where ,'u', is impedance.

    Our studio equipment converts the changes sound
    pressure into voltages and then back into sound.

    This is very simplified.

  • @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Who do I have to sleep with or blackmail around here to get an A, or is this pass/fail?

    It's really a fail/fail system without a tradition system of assessments or credentials.
    But you can sleep with anyone that will entertain your proposal. Blackmail could lead to
    expulsion from the University and the Forum at @Michael's discretion. He might also shut down this thread to protect his brand. I wouldn't blame him.

    But what is a dB?

  • What is a dB?

    The decibel (symbol: dB) is a relative unit of measurement corresponding to one tenth of a bel (B). It is used to express the ratio of one value of a power or field quantity to another, on a logarithmic scale, the logarithmic quantity being called the power level or field level, respectively.

    Decibel (dB), unit for expressing the ratio between two physical quantities, usually amounts of acoustic or electric power, or for measuring the relative loudness of sounds. One decibel (0.1 bel) equals 10 times the common logarithm of the power ratio.

    Sound is measured in units called decibels (dB). The higher the decibel level, the louder the noise. On the decibel scale, the level increase of 10 means that a sound is actually 10 times more intense, or powerful.

    The most basic form for deciBel calculations is a comparison of power levels. As might be expected it is ten times the logarithm of the output divided by the input. The factor ten is used because deciBels rather than Bels are used.

    150 decibels is usually considered enough to burst your eardrums, but the threshold for death is usually pegged at around 185-200 dB. A passenger car driving by at 25 feet is about 60 dB, being next to a jackhammer or lawn mower is around 100 dB, a nearby chainsaw is 120 dB.

    OK. Pop Quiz on Friday. Open book.

  • @McD said:

    @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Who do I have to sleep with or blackmail around here to get an A, or is this pass/fail?

    It's really a fail/fail system without a tradition system of assessments or credentials.
    But you can sleep with anyone that will entertain your proposal. Blackmail could lead to
    expulsion from the University and the Forum at @Michael's discretion. He might also shut down this thread to protect his brand. I wouldn't blame him.

    But what is a dB?

    You know, it’s both your golf score and the distance of your drive, depending on the context.

  • I looked at the thread title and immediate thought McD!!

  • @gusgranite said:
    I looked at the thread title and immediate thought McD!!

    Yup :smile:

  • @gusgranite said:
    I looked at the thread title and immediate thought McD!!

    Where are the experts... this thread is filling up with riff raff.
    I was expecting too much for the ABF to have a culture of
    reverence for learning and excellence as exemplified by Reddit
    and the other bastions of getting a high online education.

    Where is my bong?

  • Don’t forget poor little dBm!

  • Actually, following up the Wikipedia definition for dBm I notice it refers to the dB being a dimensionless unit.

    I can’t tell you how many of those I’ve met. Especially in middle management.

  • McDMcD
    edited September 17

    @qryss said:
    Don’t forget poor little dBm!

    Good point... dB is dimensionless. dBm gets down to specifics:

    That should generate some dialogue. The 600 Omh "resistor" (squiggly lines) could effectively be a "pot".

    Mind blown?

  • I’ve heard older broadcast engineers referring to them as dog biscuits.

  • This thread brings to mind the concept of Academia - our revered institutions of learning, and the expression ‘it’s academic ‘, meaning no relevance in the real world....

  • @Fitz said:
    This thread brings to mind the concept of Academia - our revered institutions of learning, and the expression ‘it’s academic ‘, meaning no relevance in the real world....

    A typical freshman's complaint and the reality for the graduate. No connection between
    knowledge of fundamentals and a job. That's often how engineers find they work for a boss
    with a degree in history. You can learn more in history about climbing the corporate ladder than you ever will in Differential Equations... english lit can be helpful too.

  • You mean my team of (software) engineers will be upset when they learn I have a degree in archaeology? Damn.

  • @qryss said:
    You mean my team of (software) engineers will be upset when they learn I have a degree in archaeology? Damn.

    Not if you can protect them from users. They will love your ability protect and preserve critical resources and artifacts. Management is really the art of keeping people productive
    and often involves blocking and tackling. Getting resources for the team too.

  • And now, when dB(x) is clear, let's talk about LUFS :-D

  • Has anyone ever mixed a record underwater?

  • (lifting finger)

    Will we get soldering lessons as well in the Audiobus University class ?

  • @dendy said:
    And now, when dB(x) is clear, let's talk about LUFS :-D

    LUFS is just a code for RMS, so that mixing engineers don’t know what mastering engineers are talking about.
    It gives them a sense of job security and also makes them feel superior.

    Next question:
    When will a certain DaW become an actual DAW by finally getting audio tracks?

  • Yes, but to strict BBC OB Unit standards. I did a training course for them once and you had to solder a wire to a terminal post - and it had to take you at least twenty minutes or you’d fail. They wanted a joint that would last thirty years or more on the road and that took a lot of care and time.

    Cue more McD pot references...

  • @jolico
    LUFS is just a code for RMS, so that mixing engineers don’t know what mastering engineers are talking about.

    with one crucial difference - RMS is absolute value in any given time, where LUFS is measured as average value for some time (typicaly for whole song), so it is considered as more accurate than RMS because RMS can have peaks which are smoothened when you use LUFS

  • @qryss said:
    I did a training course for them once and you had to solder
    Cue more McD pot references...

    There are "cold" and "dry" joints when soldering and lead is involved so brain damage
    is a factor. The smell of liquid flux in the morning. Kids today just don't get lead to play with,
    melt a liquid and snort. We had it made. This was long before integrated circuits. When had to bus our components in to create diversity. But we were discrete about it.

    Those little alligator clips came in handy too. They are not worth a damn for holding down an alligator.

    Real hobbiests would make their own PCB's. That's hardcore nerd.

  • edited September 17

    resource ...

  • This kind of internal shit should be moved to a subreddit Or an off-topic part not visible on the front page. Like r/oldipadguysjokesandtexts so we wouldn’t have to sift through 3/4ths of BS to get proper technical info actually related to practical music production. Socialize elsewhere, please.

  • @McD said:

    @qryss said:
    I did a training course for them once and you had to solder
    Cue more McD pot references...

    There are "cold" and "dry" joints when soldering and lead is involved so brain damage
    is a factor. The smell of liquid flux in the morning. Kids today just don't get lead to play with,
    melt a liquid and snort. We had it made. This was long before integrated circuits. When had to bus our components in to create diversity. But we were discrete about it.

    Those little alligator clips came in handy too. They are not worth a damn for holding down an alligator.

    Real hobbiests would make their own PCB's. That's hardcore nerd.

    They make lead free solder which you can purchase.

  • edited September 17

    @ehehehe said:
    This kind of internal shit should be moved to a subreddit Or an off-topic part not visible on the front page. Like r/oldipadguysjokesandtexts so we wouldn’t have to sift through 3/4ths of BS to get proper technical info actually related to practical music production. Socialize elsewhere, please.

    Dictate people what they are allowed to discuss and what they don't elsewhere, please. This is completely valid topic, nobody forced you to read it. If you are not interested in topic, just don't click it. It's that easy.

  • edited September 17

    hm, its a very technical value that has little to do with what your ear is hearing, as this is not linear

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

  • @Paul16 said:
    resource ...

    👍

    Maybe a bit too advanced.

Sign In or Register to comment.