Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Two octave midi keyboards

Do they drive you crazy with only the two octaves? I’ve been thinking about getting a usb MIDI keyboard cos I usually use one of my Yamahas plugged into the midi in on my model d plugged into my device via usb. I’d like something a little more lightweight that uses just a straight usb connection and could just sit in my lap. I’ve been looking at some of the two octave ones but it seems like they would make chords frustrating as hell, especially if I’m not in the key of C.

Comments

• Yes they do. I had the same desire and got the M-Audio Keystation mini 32. It has an extra half octave at the top. Keys are a little stiff. Chords are still tricky for some keys, but transposition is good practice, right?

• I've got LPK25 gathering dust. Yours if interested...

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Do they drive you crazy with only the two octaves? I’ve been thinking about getting a usb MIDI keyboard cos I usually use one of my Yamahas plugged into the midi in on my model d plugged into my device via usb. I’d like something a little more lightweight that uses just a straight usb connection and could just sit in my lap. I’ve been looking at some of the two octave ones but it seems like they would make chords frustrating as hell, especially if I’m not in the key of C.

I have an Arturia Keystep with 32 keys. I bought it mainly for mobile use. I use it in the bedroom, living room, I take it to my holidays, etc.
    Despite it has slim keys it’s very playable. Based on the 1+ years experience with Keystep I say 25 keys would be big compromise for me.
    Actually I wish it had 37 keys. That would be the perfect layout.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    I've got LPK25 gathering dust. Yours if interested...

Hmmm, how much?

@GLacey the keystep has definitely been on my radar I may end up with that. I don’t mind the slim keys too much, my Yamaha portasound is what I usually play on and that has those tiny little synth keys but I’m a hobbit so it works out

• edited September 2020

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I've got LPK25 gathering dust. Yours if interested...

Hmmm, how much?

@GLacey the keystep has definitely been on my radar I may end up with that. I don’t mind the slim keys too much, my Yamaha portasound is what I usually play on and that has those tiny little synth keys but I’m a hobbit so it works out

For free. You pay for the delivery. Or if Cheshire I might be able to drop it off.
    It's been used to preview presets in my old rack. Now only gathering dust. Now I'm using Keystep and can't recommend it enough :)

• @0tolerance4silence oh cool! I’m out in the states, I’ll check shipping costs and I could do PayPal or something. That keystep is definitely what I think I’ll land on myself eventually as well, I like that they start on G so I can get those funky bass lines going a lot easier with that little mixolydian lick and the cv output would be awesome paired with my model d

• @Fingolfinzzz ,Yamaha Portasound? I had a PSS-680 when I was a teenager back in the 80’s :smiley: Nice memories. However I still remember its annoyingly sensitive keys. They triggered the sound even when I just touched them. Don’t you have the same experience?
    The Keystep has way better keys. They are not even in the same league.

• @GLacey said:
    @Fingolfinzzz ,Yamaha Portasound? I had a PSS-680 when I was a teenager back in the 80’s :smiley: Nice memories. However I still remember its annoyingly sensitive keys. They triggered the sound even when I just touched them. Don’t you have the same experience?
    The Keystep has way better keys. They are not even in the same league.

Nice! I have a PSS-480 that was actually a dumpster dive score and really have a lot of fun messing with the operators, I can get some really wild sounds out of it. Yeah the keys are pretty sensitive for sure, it gets really annoying with mono synths. That’s good to hear about the keystep I think that will definitely be what I’ll end up with, it has too many features to pass up on

• @Fingolfinzzz , my brother still has his PSS-480! I have traded mine for a keyboard stand in the 90’s... :disappointed: If I close my eyes I can still recall it’s demo song :smiley:
    Fortunately I kept my Casio MT-70 at least. It’s fun.