Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FLEKSI - the sun the moon. Live looping Drambo beast (video)

edited August 2020 in Creations

Build your rig slowly and have a fairly clear idea where you’re going. Building a looping rig is a fruit of evolution, careful tweaks here and there, adding some bits and taking some away, always with a watchful eye on the cpu.

It ain’t rocket science but it does combine a lot of elements one of which being live mixing which even when nobody’s watching is a tough nut job.

Any kind of looping runs a risk of a 'cascade’ or ‘avalanche’ effect. It is easy to end up in an ear straining mess if you just add loops without taking any away. It is somewhat similar to when one plays a dynamic song on an acoustic guitar with vocals. There’s loud bits and there are quiet bits, the ultimate aim is to tap into the natural flow of human sensitivity (I know it sounds like a pretentious load of bollocks but...), being able to build tension and then release. A tricky thing when you only have four limbs. It feels like knowing your rig inside out and more is a good basis for that.

There also needs to be constant movement. Repetitive unmodulated loops cause ear fatigue too. Lfo is a great friend here. I often have one of the lfo’s in Turnado set to minimum frequency and applied gently to one or two parameters so when I leave a bunch of effects in the mix unattended, there’s always some movement happening.

I’d be curious to hear other looping performers on the matter.

Comments

• That was a cool little trip. You have got your workflow down.

• That's a great performance.

It looks like more than Drambo are involved... can you share some tips?
    Loopy maybe? Hardware controllers used?

• blueboard+mozaic+drambo?

• Some jam. Kicked off all CS&N and developed from there... :)

• edited August 2020

@McD said:
    That's a great performance.

Thanks.
    Apps:
    Loopy, Drambo and Turnado hosted in Audiobus.

I was going to use Samplr but I forgot!! 🤣

Controllers:
    Korg Nanokontrol mk1
    Launchkey mini mk2
    Actition floor board
    Roland SPDS

Ah, also a Nektar expression pedal hooked up to the chance module that is controlling the intensity of some instruments in Drambo.

• edited August 2020

@noob said:
    blueboard+mozaic+drambo?

Drambo is responsible for all the audio generation. It is very impressive what this app can do, even at a very basic sound design level like mine.

Comparing it to hardware, even modular level misses the point imo.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Some jam. Kicked off all CS&N and developed from there... :)

If you hear a bog note in the second harmony it wasn’t me, that was Nash. ;)

• Great one! You guys are really inspiring me to up my looping game. I'm tryin' to practice in a looping workflow at least a little every night now.

I don't think I'll be able to master sitting on the wall like that though. How do you do that?

• Cool track. You got the best ios system for sure.

Spitting Earth chatter.

• @McD
    As for tips. Build your rig slowly and have a fairly clear idea where you’re going. Building a looping rig is a fruit of evolution, careful tweaks here and there, adding some bits and taking some away, always with a watchful eye on the cpu.

It ain’t rocket science but it does combine a lot of elements one of which being live mixing which even when nobody’s watching is a tough nut job.

Any kind of looping runs a risk of a 'cascade’ or ‘avalanche’ effect. It is easy to end up in an ear straining mess if you just add loops without taking any away. It is somewhat similar to when one plays a dynamic song on an acoustic guitar with vocals. There’s loud bits and there are quiet bits, the ultimate aim is to tap into the natural flow of human sensitivity (I know it sounds like a pretentious load of bollocks but...), being able to build tension and then release. A tricky thing when you only have four limbs. It feels like knowing your rig inside out and more is a good basis for that.

I’d be curious to hear other looping performers on the matter.

• @supadom You looping guys amaze me. I never quite got the hang of it. When I see someone like Binkbeats jam out, he makes it look so effortless and yet when I try to conceptualize what he’s actually doing it blows my mind. Also it seems he has a different setup for every song. Totally get your concept of dynamic looping. Loop on!

• This is the one that first impressed me.

• @hypnopad said:
    This is the one that first impressed me.

Wow, she has an amazingly beautiful and versatile voice.
    ‘You looping guys amaze me’ - I had you down as a looping guy!! 🙂

• @supadom said:

I haven’t looped anything in a long time. I’ve had Ableton since version 1.5 and looped like crazy for years. Used it for general composing/ making mashups (that I would then play acoustic drums to while triggering different loops and one hits)/making backing tracks that I would jam over. Tried a few times with live looping but never felt that it was my path. What I do now is my path. Lots of conceptualizing/experimenting but in the end just real time improvising the whole song without loops.

We both are jugglers but in different ways.

• edited August 2020

Sounding and looking good @supadom ! Your point about overloading the sound stage by adding without subtracting is spot on.

• @hypnopad said:

@supadom said:

I haven’t looped anything in a long time. I’ve had Ableton since version 1.5 and looped like crazy for years. Used it for general composing/ making mashups (that I would then play acoustic drums to while triggering different loops and one hits)/making backing tracks that I would jam over. Tried a few times with live looping but never felt that it was my path. What I do now is my path. Lots of conceptualizing/experimenting but in the end just real time improvising the whole song without loops.

We both are jugglers but in different ways.

Wow, that’s interesting. I was almost certain you used looping. I have to revisit some of your work then ;)

• @supadom said:

@McD said:
    That's a great performance.

Thanks.
    Apps:
    Loopy, Drambo and Turnado hosted in Audiobus.

I was going to use Samplr but I forgot!! 🤣

Controllers:
    Korg Nanokontrol mk1
    Launchkey mini mk2
    Actition floor board
    Roland SPDS

Ah, also a Nektar expression pedal hooked up to the chance module that is controlling the intensity of some instruments in Drambo.

Liked a lot bro. Any tips ? Because i have all these apps, but never get that kind of workflow (specially Loopy and Audiobus, i'm more into AUM)

Do you sequence in Drambo to get the loops isn't it ? isn't connected to Loopy .....

• zomg, that bit going on at 7:40 is absolute fire.