Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

dot Melody from the makers of Chordion Coming Soon

Comments

• I like that interface.

• Looks like a fun sequencer/idea generator kinda thing. A bit like a generative music app version of Figure, w. a lead, a chord, and a drum channel.

• Any ideas on the price of this one?

• Bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Ehm, only iphone version?

• edited March 2014

I've had a few people ask about how the sequencer works: Pitch is determined by the horizontal location, and rhythm/duration is determined by the vertical location.

There will be an iPad version as well, either as a universal or a separate app, I'm trying to sort that out now. But the phone version will be available first.

A question for you, dear Audiobus forum, I'm curious: What would you expect the price of an app like this to be? MIDI out will be available as an in-app purchase so that the base price can be lower for the casual user. Would you prefer a universal app that is slightly more expensive, or separate versions for each that are slightly less expensive?

• universal please

• edited March 2014

If there are going to be IAPs, a universal version is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty sure people don't wanna buy the same product and the same IAPs twice. That said, as for a base price, I haven't got a clue. It seems really tricky pricing things right (well you as a dev would know that better then me). You could try the risky Figure approach, and hope it stays on top of the charts all the time, just like Figure (and DM-1 did before they raised the price). Or price it more in line with what it's "actually worth", whatever that may be. All I can say is that I'm definitely intrigued by this app!

• edited March 2014

I think around $5 plus or minus a buck is the sweet spot for most of the innovative interface category apps I've bought. It would have to have some serious inter-connectivity, or innovative workflow, or serious tweakablity for me to pay more than $10. I do like what I've seen so far! The promise of IAP of midi is mildly annoying but most of the time worth it from a workflow standpoint, especially if it's as well implemented as say Xythesizr's or as rock solid as Midi Synth's. Just don't nickle and dime for functionality but build towards enhancing features or content. Guitarism is a good example of that.

• Looks/sounds nice !

• Yeah, I think I am in agreement with @audiblevideo on the pricing suggestions. Probably in the $3.99 to $6.99 range for an iPhone only version, and $4.99 to $9.99 for universal. The comparables that came to mind were Xynthesizr and SoundPrism Pro.

I would rather see a higher purchase price than ANY IAP's. Or, to hedge on that a bit, IAP's only really make sense if you're doing a freemium version. So, for example, I have the SoundPrism free version that allows me to play it and make sounds with the internal synth (and I think w/ AudioBus as well), but they've deactivated the core functionality of controlling other synths as a virtual MIDI app.

IAP's work for a lot of apps if they "expansion packs" for content. So if you buy a drum app, you may be okay paying 5 bucks for the app, and then 1.99 for the extra rock kit, as opposed to 10 dollars and having a bunch of world beats you don't need or want.

IAP's for FUNCTIONALITY are a little more offensive, and it also confuses the consumers, some of which may assume they're getting a MIDI play for 4 bucks, 6 bucks, whatever, and then find out they have to pay more money to do what they thought the paid app did in the first place.

The app looks promising though!

• Thanks for all of your feedback!

dot Melody has been submitted to the AppStore for review.

The initial release is iPhone only (iPhone4s & up, due to CPU limitations). iOS7 only. Obviously, Audiobus support is included.

We've decided to make the iPhone version $2.99. MIDI out will be an IAP for $1.99.

When the universal version comes out the base price will go up but you will not have to re-purchase the app or the IAP.

The MIDI IAP will eventually include (for no extra cost) MIDI clock sync (in/out). We have a working prototype of that, but it needs more testing (and an interface) before being released into the wild.

I hear the concerns about using IAPs for functionality, and agree on some level, but here's our (current) thinking about it: We want the app to be accessible to both casual users and to more experienced ones. It takes a lot of extra work to add the types of features that experienced users (i.e. you guys and gals) want. However, even small increases in price will turn away casual users. The solution we are experimenting with here, which feels to us like a good balance, is to try to keep the base price lower, knowing that most of our users are not concerned with features like MIDI. And the ones who are will hopefully find it to be well worth the extra couple of bucks. We hope you agree!

Thanks for your interest... It should be available soon!

-Ben

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on IAP. Makes sense and I love hearing that sort of stuff.

I'm with @chrisg though:

If ( IAP.length > 0 ) { universal==true; }

Happy to support and pay for what I get but I don't want to buy IAPs twice. That said, your app and make it work however you need it to work to keep it going.

• edited April 2014

Yes, and just to clarify, it will be universal at version 1.1, so folks who buy the iPhone version now will not have to purchase it a second time for their iPads, nor will they need to repurchase the MIDI IAP.

• @benkamen said:

Yes, and just to clarify, it will be universal at version 1.1, so folks who buy the iPhone version now will not have to purchase it a second time for their iPads, nor will they need to repurchase the MIDI IAP.

Good to know :)

• Good stuff!!

• Cudos for your pricing plan, very fair and reasonable.

• Looks really cool, I'm up for it.

• Also like your pricing plans..

Under these circumstances I like to be one of the early birds...