Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grounding

Ipad on metal stand with power creates a vibration to ipad. Will plastic or anything that isnt metal stop contact?

Comments

• Dodge right?

Stands creating vibration to ipad.

• What about rubber inner tube?

• I am not sure I understand.
    It is power related, and only happens with the iPad plugged into power?

At first I thought maybe you are using the internal speaker. That could cause vibration between an iPad and a metal surface it is in contact with. Some simple padding would work.

If it is power related, then all I can think of is maybe it is related to wireless charging or something. If you think that may be it, look for a way to temporarily disable wireless changing.

• Its the power but ipad is on a metal stand. Vibration or fuzz on back of ipad goes away when not on stand ( I think )

If so would rubber between stand and ipad work?

It works this way with crossfader installs in some mixers. You use rubber maybe to create no contact.

• Electrical tape?

• If my ipad would be vibrating when plugged in to an electrical outlet I would take/send it to apple or an apple service provider asap!

• edited June 2020

That happens because most devices nowadays don't have a proper reference to ground, so if there's a metal case, it will not be at "zero volts" compared to your body (which IS properly grounded most of the time). So the voltage difference between ground and your iPad's case will create an electric current flow through your body. It feels like a vibration because it's AC (changes direction and amplitude 50 or 60 times per second, depending on country).

(fun fact: this is the same thing that causes hum in analog audio connections).

The only thing that's really feasible to stop it is either completely removing your own reference to ground (stand on an insulator), use insulating gloves, or manually ground the iPad's case by taking a wire and, say, connecting it to the nearest heating radiator :) (all not very practical).

I was "shocked" myself when I noticed this for the first time (that was in a very old house too, with bad wiring which made the neutral quite far away from ground potential) and it was quite intense.

Electrical engineers, correct me if I'm wrong :)

• Indeed, grounding on "wall wart" type switchmode power supplies has become fairly obsolete and the only insulation between mains and charging voltage output is the little switching transformer. An ideal transformer would help avoid such effects but I believe that the small size transformers commonly used also introduce some capacitive coupling between primary and secondary circuit, limiting the "free floating potential" of the output lines.
    When touching the metal, what you feel is the small (and hardly any dangerous) leakage current from the iPad case to ground.
    You can avoid it by using an iPad case that fully covers the iPad with non-conductive material.

• Thanks rs2000. Its from the mains. Even via a midi cable or any connection in the system connected to audio interace but only when ipad is on back on stand. So an ipad case should work. There is rubber already on ipad stand and I found extra rubber that came with stand but still contact.

• Cheers all. Its a new ipad they sent via apple care.

I noticed when I first bought zoom u44. There would be static around any inputs if headphone jack brushed past. So wondered if some charge had built up. Will try with batteries, then maybe an ipad case.

• I got these silicone pot holders to use with my cheapo iPad stand that likes to slide across my desk.
    I use them for anti-slip, but they would probably work for your situation too (non-conductive).
    They are pretty cheap and easy to get.

• Covered stand in plastic. 4 layers but still residue like vibration. Stand is made of aluminium titanium. Plastic should be an insulator but might there be trace metal when recycled ? Or is the vibration because of the strength of the stand?

• These stands come with rubber patches. They were ok but I wrapped a dumbell weight in a bag instead of glueing it to desk. The weights look like suspicious packages.

• edited June 2020

Duh. It isnt, torsion?

Because its not there without mains. How can it go through plastic and paper?

• Think ipad is magnetic. I sure something attached to it the other day. Maybe a pen.

• @sigma79 said:
    Think ipad is magnetic. I sure something attached to it the other day. Maybe a pen.

Yeah, magnetic along the left edge of mine.

• Mine isnt a pro but theres probably magnets and checked how apple pencil 2 charges. Someone said the magnets are weaker without a charger. Because its there with mains. Maybe the magenets are stronger and vibrating with the stand. Unless of course it isnt anything to do with magnets but just mains and stand but I covered it with plastic and a thick envelope.

Should be ok?

• Can you make the vibration go away by touching the stand?
    Can you feel the vibrations when you touch the stand?

If they go away, likely a grounding issue.
    If you can feel them, likely an acoustic issue.

• Its a lamicall stand. Its not there without power and it isnt there when not fully in stand. The curve bits that hold the ipad bring vibration, which goes without power.

• @sigma79 said:
    Mine isnt a pro but theres probably magnets and checked how apple pencil 2 charges. Someone said the magnets are weaker without a charger. Because its there with mains. Maybe the magenets are stronger and vibrating with the stand. Unless of course it isnt anything to do with magnets but just mains and stand but I covered it with plastic and a thick envelope.

Should be ok?

iPads have magnets on the long edges to work with the "Smart Cover", which attaches to the edge, and turns the device off when closed. And the Pros with the keyboard connector use magnets for that. These are normal features, and they are not affected by connection to the charger. They can pick up small metal objects, like paper clips, given the opportunity.

• You don’t need to cover the stand with rubber. The idea is to cover the iPad’s metal parts so you don’t touch them. The stand probably has nothing to do with it.

• What do you mean? Iv covered the stand in 4 layers of plastic. The whole thing is metal. Its not there where back of ipad covers nearly all of stand. Its just there when it rest in the grooveholder, which is also covered but then goes away when unplugging power cable.

•                        /                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                         /
                       /
                    v

Like this. The whole thing is covered in plastic. The ipad can touch the whole area but not the v.

• It isnt anything to do with stand. It hums even on a wood surface.

Time for Drambo.