Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atmosphere Cloud Reverb Just Released

Edit: this app just released today. Here is the app store link:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/atmosphere-cloud-reverb/id1516751210

We will keep the testflight up for a few more days so that you can try before you buy:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/tQJMAxLG

Comments

• edited June 2020

Some nice sounds coming out on first listen. But the diffusion knob can’t be tweaked in real time - as soon as you move it, the whole signal becomes dry until you stop moving the rotary.

Definitely sounding very good though, love what I’m getting with low diffusion settings on guitar sounds

• Thanks will try tonight
    Good luck

• edited June 2020

In fact, I love everything about it apart from the previously mentioned issue. The onset time control works beautifully. Loving the panning effect of the modulation, it’s a gorgeous reverb

Edit: after a few more mins of playing, I have to say I think I would prefer this to Blackhole, for my personal taste.

• edited June 2020

@Blue_Mangoo said:

This is the testflight link for our upcoming reverb plugin. Please try it out and let us know if you find any bugs.

Note: the next version we upload will support iOS 12. The current version requires iOS 13.

the Ui gets scrambled if i attempt to resize in Apematrix.
    opening and closing window doesn’t help, have to reload Au3 plug

• Ah, just tried a resize in AUM, also got some issues. Tried to drop a pic, but getting the message that it is too large, for some reason

• I like this approach
    We test, help improve the product, we get a new app to test drive, all good.
    I brought phosphor 3, thanks to audiodamage opening up a public beta test of the product.
    If I hadn't tried the beta test, I really wouldn't of brought it, as was never sure if I needed it.

Just had a super quick play
    So far so good, noticed also the same as @Gavinski

• Snap
    Resize in Aum went wonky for me, but I kept adjusting window till app rendered correctly

• @RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

This is the testflight link for our upcoming reverb plugin. Please try it out and let us know if you find any bugs.

Note: the next version we upload will support iOS 12. The current version requires iOS 13.

just gone back to it in APEMATRIX ( to try nicebutfuns workaround ) but everything is ok and resize working now..
    was just that one instance on first opening... now i cannot replicate the bug.... so all ok.

• Same here actually. Wouldn’t have gotten Phosphor if it wasn’t for that public beta. I’m gonna give this a spin tonight. I’m in the market for a new reverb, and I think this may be the one!

@Nicebutfun said:
    I like this approach
    We test, help improve the product, we get a new app to test drive, all good.
    I brought phosphor 3, thanks to audiodamage opening up a public beta test of the product.
    If I hadn't tried the beta test, I really wouldn't of brought it, as was never sure if I needed it.

Just had a super quick play
    So far so good, noticed also the same as @Gavinski

• @aleyas I think this’ll be up your street for sure

• @Gavinski said:
    Some nice sounds coming out on first listen. But the diffusion knob can’t be tweaked in real time - as soon as you move it, the whole signal becomes dry until you stop moving the rotary.

Definitely sounding very good though, love what I’m getting with low diffusion settings on guitar sounds

The way we implemented the diffusion, it requires some components of the reverb to be cleared and reset. That makes it difficult to adjust in realtime. Sorry.

• @RockySmalls said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

just gone back to it in APEMATRIX ( to try nicebutfuns workaround ) but everything is ok and resize working now..
    was just that one instance on first opening... now i cannot replicate the bug.... so all ok.

@Nicebutfun @Gavinski

Thank you for reporting the resizing issue. We will work on it.

• @Blue_Mangoo thanks!what about the diffusion knob, can that be fixed? If I compare with kleverb, for example, diffusion knob doesn't exhibit this kind of behaviour, real time tweaking not a problem

• This is lovely - I immediately started to make music with it. Changing a few values led me down avenues I wasn’t expecting.

Awesome stuff, @Blue_Mangoo !

• Yeah it’s very lovely to play through, didn’t experience any resizing issues here but I didn’t try anything apart from stretching it a bit...

• @Gavinski said:
    @Blue_Mangoo thanks!what about the diffusion knob, can that be fixed? If I compare with kleverb, for example, diffusion knob doesn't exhibit this kind of behaviour, real time tweaking not a problem

It depends on how they implement diffusion and how much processing power you want to use. Some diffusors are relatively easy to adjust. With this app, having unusually smooth diffusion from the start of early reflections was one of the primary design requirements so it’s not the typical diffusion unit we use in other of our apps that have reverb.

If it’s really important to modulate that in real time, it can be done but it’s a major design problem that would significantly increase the cou usage.

• @qryss said:
    This is lovely - I immediately started to make music with it. Changing a few values led me down avenues I wasn’t expecting.

Awesome stuff, @Blue_Mangoo !

Thanks. Glad to hear it worked for you!

• Right...I think it would be cool to have that, but wouldn’t be a dealbreaker I think. Not sure what others would say. It would definitely be great for ambient stuff to play with the diffusion settings while performing, I feel.

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Gavinski said:
    @Blue_Mangoo thanks!what about the diffusion knob, can that be fixed? If I compare with kleverb, for example, diffusion knob doesn't exhibit this kind of behaviour, real time tweaking not a problem

It depends on how they implement diffusion and how much processing power you want to use. Some diffusors are relatively easy to adjust. With this app, having unusually smooth diffusion from the start of early reflections was one of the primary design requirements so it’s not the typical diffusion unit we use in other of our apps that have reverb.

If it’s really important to modulate that in real time, it can be done but it’s a major design problem that would significantly increase the cou usage.

• @Gavinski said:
    Right...I think it would be cool to have that, but wouldn’t be a dealbreaker I think. Not sure what others would say. It would definitely be great for ambient stuff to play with the diffusion settings while performing, I feel.

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Gavinski said:

Maybe a “low CPU mode” but also a real-time difussion mode? Not having this would be a dealbreaker for me.

• That sounds like a good solution. Yeah, it would annoy me not to be able to tweak that for sure.

• @Gavinski said:
    That sounds like a good solution. Yeah, it would annoy me not to be able to tweak that for sure.

To clarify, you can adjust it in realtime; it just makes a funny sound? Or you cannot adjust it at all?

• You can move the knob, but while you move the knob, the sound becomes completely dry - there is no reverb on it. It definitely wouldn’t sound good to tweak in real time. You’d have to stop playing, adjust, and start again, if you didn’t want people to hear something that would break the whole flow.

• @Gavinski said:
    You can move the knob, but while you move the knob, the sound becomes completely dry - there is no reverb on it. It definitely wouldn’t sound good to tweak in real time. You’d have to stop playing, adjust, and start again, if you didn’t want people to hear something that would break the whole flow.

Ok I think we had better not change it then.

• That sounds gorgeous.

@Blue_Mangoo I love your videos. I always learn so much both about the effects, but also the thinking behind your designs.

• cool will try and report back B)

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Gavinski said:
    That sounds like a good solution. Yeah, it would annoy me not to be able to tweak that for sure.

To clarify, you can adjust it in realtime; it just makes a funny sound? Or you cannot adjust it at all?

You can’t adjust the difussion in realtime since the changes to the sound are not updated in r3altime and the whole reverb is muting with each knob variation, so useless for real-time tweaking in live performance as I do with my Bigsky. Difussion is one of the parameters most used here. Also it’s really uncomfortable even for making patches.

• There s also zippering noise when tweaking or automating “onset time”, very noticeable with shorter reverb times

• @Synthi said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Gavinski said:

You can’t adjust the difussion in realtime since the changes to the sound are not updated in r3altime and the whole reverb is muting with each knob variation, so useless for real-time tweaking in live performance as I do with my Bigsky. Difussion is one of the parameters most used here. Also it’s really uncomfortable even for making patches.

Yeah, I don’t think we are gonna do realtime adjustment on parameters that require réinitialisation of reverb components. That just isn’t going to go well on iOS. Strymon is likely using a different diffusion algorithm from what we used here, because I didn’t see them offering an onset time adjustment.

With the current design, CPU usage goes down when you turn down the diffusion. we were hoping to use the diffusion control as a way to reduce CPU load. If we abandon that then it could Modulate the diffusion control smoothly.

I don’t see any way the onset time can be done without making a zippering sound, short of running two sets of diffusors in parallel and increasing the CPU load by 50-60%.

• I strongly dislike the idea of adding low-cpu and high-cpu modes. I want to keep the controls simple and easy to understand.

• I am also not willing to do anything that pushes the plugin beyond 20% CPU usage on my 2017 iPad. It doesn’t matter how smoothly the parameters modulate if people can’t run the plugin in a typical setup with four or five other plugins.

But not reducing cpu usage for low diffusion is doable. I wonder what fraction of the users need to modulate the diffusion in real time. For me, reverb is an effect that I adjust to taste before I start a song but rarely tweak during a performance, except for occasionally the wet mix and decay time.

• @cian said:
    That sounds gorgeous.

@Blue_Mangoo I love your videos. I always learn so much both about the effects, but also the thinking behind your designs.

Thanks

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

But not reducing cpu usage for low diffusion is doable. I wonder what fraction of the users need to modulate the diffusion in real time. For me, reverb is an effect that I adjust to taste before I start a song but rarely tweak during a performance, except for occasionally the wet mix and decay time.

This tends to be how I work as well. I'd prefer it didn't sound horrible when I change if stuff is coming through.

There are a couple of nice reverbs out there that are designed to be modulable and they are fun to play with, but that's more of a special effect I think. Personally I'd prefer to be able to use more instances.

I strongly dislike the idea of adding low-cpu and high-cpu modes. I want to keep the controls simple and easy to understand.

I don't want to push against this because I think this is a great design aesthetic to have, and something I appreciate with your compressor. But I guess you could add an HQ mode as a button. Though I suspect most people would just ask well why wouldn't I want HQ all the time...

Alternatively you could release a second version of the AU which is modulable and give it a name that makes it's purpose clear. Don't ask me what that name should be mind... naming things is the hardest problem in computer science after all.