Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problem setting AUM to 44100 Hz sample rate

To use CS Spectral in AUM, I need to be able to change the sample rate in AUM down to 44100. For some reason this no longer seems possible, even using headphones and with no other music apps running. Any suggestions?

Comments

• @Gavinski It may depend on your device. Please identify your iPad/iPhone model, and iOS version.

• edited May 2020

IPad Pro 3rd gen (2018) , ios 13.4.1 @uncledave

• Only way to do that on devices with locked hardware sample-rate is to use an external audio interface...

• Thanks @Samu, thing is: it was working fine until recently. I used it last week no problem. For some reason now it is locked, where it wasn’t before

• edited May 2020

I bought a cheap usb sound card on amazon since my iPhone 11 is locked to 48k if you don’t have an audio interface. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IjaZEb8ZJ30WW

• I do have an audio interface, but rarely use it, prefer another solution if at all possible

• I'm not clear on whether your model is hardware locked to 48K or not from a quick check around. But you say it was working at 44k? In that case, have you force-quit all apps, rebooted, then tried opening and setting AUM first before any other apps? Also, Lightening headphones, or a Lightning to phone-jack adapter will also force 48K.

When you try to switch, does it pop a message about the hardware being locked? Or that another app has locked the sample rate? Or does it just do nothing?

• edited May 2020

@Gavinski i have iPad Pro 2020 and I can set that sample rate only with external audio card or with original Apple audio jack usb c adapter. If I use usb switch with built in audio jack it doesn’t work.

• @wim said:
    I'm not clear on whether your model is hardware locked to 48K or not from a quick check around. But you say it was working at 44k? In that case, have you force-quit all apps, rebooted, then tried opening and setting AUM first before any other apps? Also, Lightening headphones, or a Lightning to phone-jack adapter will also force 48K.

When you try to switch, does it pop a message about the hardware being locked? Or that another app has locked the sample rate? Or does it just do nothing?

Hi Wim, the hardware is definitely not locked. I did close all apps and restart AUM, and try to reset in AUM, didn’t work, but maybe a reboot is necessary. The error message said something like ‘either your hardware doesn’t support it, or another app is controlling it’. This model is usb c, not lightning. I thought I remembered that the usb c headphone connection reset it, but seems not...I’ll try a reboot later, thnx

• I ran into this a short time back with 4pockets apps. It’s a pain in the ass, even submitted something to Apple. Good news is if you have some USB C headphones you can change the sample rate.

• Any IAA or standalone app can end up hijacking the sample rate even after it has been closed. A memory reset or reboot is often required to release all ghost processes. The first app to set the sample rate owns it too, so sometimes just force-quitting all apps is enough.

• Hmmmmm. I have that same iPad and I thought it was locked? Or are you talking about external interface?

• I used Cs spectral for weeks with no problem. Closing other apps, connecting headphones tricks etc worked before. Now nothing works, including rebooting. I'm at a loss as to why this had changed, it's pretty annoying though. @onerez

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Have you tried loading CS Spectral before loading AUM, then adding it to AUM? Preferably after a reboot just to lower the number of variables.

• edited May 2020

Good point. Just tried that, which was useful, because it showed me that even standalone it's crackling like hell. It's like it can't get into 44100hz mode even on its own.

Edit : strangely, Cs grain is still working fine, both in AUM and standalone. Is it not 44100 too?

I deleted and reinstalled Cs spectral. Still snap, crackle and popping like a mofo

• OK, so a new development: using the same USB c to 3.5mm adapter, I changed the headphones I was using. When I was using Grados, it wouldn't change to 44100hz, now I'm using 1more triple drivers, it's changing no problem and Cs spectral is working fine. Any ideas why this might be?

• Just throwing out guesses at this point ... is there a microphone on either of those headphones?

• Yes, @wim, the one that manages to change it to the lower sample rate has a mic. So I guess this is the thing, u need a line in to lower the sample rate?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

No, it doesn't have anything to do with power. It's wrapped up some way that I don't understand with how iOS decides sample rate with an audio input device - in this case a microphone.

You might want to try changing "High Quality" (Measurement Mode) to the opposite of what it's set to now, exiting all apps, then seeing if sample rate can be changed with the headset that doesn't have the microphone. Just an experiment to see if it makes any difference.

(BTW, "High Quality" should be OFF as far as I know. It (should) only affect the internal microphone and speakers by adding processing. It gets in the way for everything else as far as I can see. It definitely doesn't improve quality for normal purposes.)

There's probably a technical answer out there somewhere, but my brain is tapped out at this point.

• Hey Wim, where do I access these 'measurement mode' settings? I don't see that on my device for AUM, only for audiobus @wim

• @Gavinski said:
    Hey Wim, where do I access these 'measurement mode' settings? I don't see that on my device for AUM, only for audiobus @wim

In AUM it's right under the the sample rate. Under mic + speaker settings

• Found! Thnx!

• @Gavinski said:
    Hey Wim, where do I access these 'measurement mode' settings? I don't see that on my device for AUM, only for audiobus @wim

In AUM , it is called High Quality Mode

• Ok...... I’m confused AF...... so are you telling me that my 2018 3rd gen IPad Pro that is locked at 48.... if I grab my focusrite interface and plug it in I can go down to 44.1??? Sorry it’s the new meds.

• @onerez said:
    Ok...... I’m confused AF...... so are you telling me that my 2018 3rd gen IPad Pro that is locked at 48.... if I grab my focusrite interface and plug it in I can go down to 44.1??? Sorry it’s the new meds.

If you have a class compliant audio interface, you can set the sample rate to any sample rate the interface supports.

• Yes. But also that u may not need an interface if u r using headphones that have a mic @onerez

• @Gavinski ... no my cans are the DT 770’s. No mic

• Try an interface then, that will definitely work

• edited May 2020

from https://kymatica.com/aum/help

High Quality

Enables measurement mode, which disables various iOS audio processing (filters and automatic gain control) for built-in input and output. This gives much lower latency, and can give higher fidelity and better bass response. You might need to increase the Mic Input gain and output level when enabled.

just did 2 screenshots.._ to chk latency_ (built in mic)

OFF;

ON;
    (note DSP usage almost doubled)

• Thanks. I had it backwards then, I think. So, High Quality = Turn off iOS added processing for built-in input and output = lower latency and less coloration = good.

Do I have it right now? :D