Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - May 2020

Comments

• @iammane said:
    Going insane with work and connection problems but while I can take a gasp of air just wanted to get this here.... I will be back to listen to everyone's and post feedback scout's honor!

A good example of what I was trying to get across in the post above. The variation the song needs comes from the vocal. I'm always a bit jealous of people that can sing! The vocals keep the interest going even though the song itself doesn't have much variation sonically from section to section. The harmonies and vocal fx are very nicely recorded. Really good.

• edited May 2020

@richardyot said:

@klownshed said:

The main riff is great, and I like the background sounds as well, it's got a driving groove and some interesting variation in the arrangement. The only crit I would make is that it could do with a bit more variety and evolution, but overall it's very enjoyable.

Thanks. I was trying to keep it simple and gave myself a deadline to get it finished. I wanted to be able to upload it to the song of the month club on day 1. At least I succeeded with that part.

Otherwise I’d end up going round in circles and burying the original idea with multiple not-as-good-ideas and end up ruining it all. I’ve uploaded two tracks in a row for the first time ever. This is only my third track I’ve shared in a decade.

The main song was basically sketched out in one day on my iPhone in Ns2 in between cat-herding looking after the nippers.

I’m happy the way it turned out all things considered. It’s just nice to be making music. I’m not too worried about the final result. The journey was fun :-)

FWIW almost all the sounds are iOS. I even used iOS sounds once I’d transferred to logic to mix and wanted an additional percussion loop so I used Ruismaker in IDAM mode. Worked a treat.

The only non iOS sound (I think) is the “Aaah-Haah” sound which I made using a tweaked version of one of the stock Logic choirs.

• @klownshed said:

@baudious said:

Made on IMPC and filtered through Eventides Micropitch via AUM...don’t forget to click high quality in the settings menu of AUM...☠️

I like the sounds and some of the effects are quite cool, especially the vowel type filter towards the end but as a song it doesn't really hang together structurally.

This song is in the structure I gave it...🥁
    It’s about that pumping backbeat and the dry crunchy ear vibes...supposed to be rough and repetitive kinda...

• @DukeWonder Awesome funky vibe, I agree with klownshed though I was just dying to hear vocals come in, it's such a good bed for it. Or even just some smaller vocal cuts (vocalizations?) to keep things bumpin along.

@motmeister Love the percussion, reminds me of like if Jaga Jazzist stripped things back a bit and got a little weird haha! Not a bad thing.

• @klownshed said:

@iammane said:
    Going insane with work and connection problems but while I can take a gasp of air just wanted to get this here.... I will be back to listen to everyone's and post feedback scout's honor!

A good example of what I was trying to get across in the post above. The variation the song needs comes from the vocal. I'm always a bit jealous of people that can sing! The vocals keep the interest going even though the song itself doesn't have much variation sonically from section to section. The harmonies and vocal fx are very nicely recorded. Really good.

I wish I could take credit, it's not me lol. But yeah - it's amazing what a vocal can do for the pacing of a track, and how something that really isn't the most sonically varied can hold up well under a vocal that keeps things moving along.

I was listening to some garbage mumble rap track the other day my wife I had on (just happened to come up on Pandora's Hot Hits station or whatever) and the song itself was literally just an 808, hats and a snare. It was nothing. But the "vocals" just kept everything rolling along and it's crazy how much a difference it makes.

• @klownshed @iammane I’m definitely sticking with instrumentals for the time being, so I’m wondering how I could fill that gap.

I am also pretty displeased with the mix. I “finished” it late last night and listening to it again, it’s definitely lacking in quality. Trying to figure out how to reign that bass in.

I took down the song and will revisit once I have something better.

• edited May 2020

@DukeWonder said:
    @klownshed @iammane I’m definitely sticking with instrumentals for the time being, so I’m wondering how I could fill that gap.

I am also pretty displeased with the mix. I “finished” it late last night and listening to it again, it’s definitely lacking in quality. Trying to figure out how to reign that bass in.

Don’t let the likes of me put you off. :-)

To put my comments into perspective I like good old fashioned songs. I like structure. Occasionally I love tracks with much less going on and often can’t put my finger on exactly what it is that keeps my attention.

I don’t think that There are Any rules. One trick I’ve found works though is to listen to your track in the presence of someone else (clearly not Always possible in theses times!). I find I get anxious if the song gets boring or there’s a dull part that is instantly obvious where before it wasn’t.

Gigging your own songs can get brutal :-)

To get some perspective though, go do some ‘research’ on Apple Music or Spotify. You’ll find some of the bigger artists have “essential” playlists. Pick some at random in a relative genre.

I’ve done this with some artists that have done some incedibile work and found the vast majority of their back catalogue to be tedious as hell.

Don’t get me wrong! Your track wasn’t as tedious as hell. It wouldn’t take much to lift the odd section to give the listener added interest. I just meant it’s really hard to make good instrumental music. It’s easy to make good sounds, not so easy making a tune that can hold the average lkstener’s attention without requiring the use of illegal substances :lol:

But as you alluded to before it’s easier to spot things in other people’s work than your own. We are all expert critics. It’s very hard to be an expert creator :-)

But you don’t have to make groundbreaking work every time. Just making anything you feel is share-worthy is already amazing.

• @klownshed said:
    I’ve done this with some artists that have done some incedibile work and found the vast majority of their back catalogue to be tedious as hell.

It's easy to lose this perspective, myself included. There's VERY few albums I've listened to where I'm like "Man these are all good". When the radio / spotify / pandora whatever only play the super popular stuff, there's definitely duds from the same artist. It's just how it is. Think about all the crap that never even leaves the studio!!

• @klownshed said:

@DukeWonder said:
    @klownshed @iammane I’m definitely sticking with instrumentals for the time being, so I’m wondering how I could fill that gap.

Don’t let the likes of me put you off. :-)

To put my comments into perspective I like good old fashioned songs. I like structure. Occasionally I love tracks with much less going on and often can’t put my finger on exactly what it is that keeps my attention.

I don’t think that There are Any rules. One trick I’ve found works though is to listen to your track in the presence of someone else (clearly not Always possible in theses times!). I find I get anxious if the song gets boring or there’s a dull part that is instantly obvious where before it wasn’t.

Gigging your own songs can get brutal :-)

To get some perspective though, go do some ‘research’ on Apple Music or Spotify. You’ll find some of the bigger artists have “essential” playlists. Pick some at random in a relative genre.

Don’t get me wrong! Your track wasn’t as tedious as hell. It wouldn’t take much to lift the odd section to give the listener added interest. I just meant it’s really hard to make good instrumental music. It’s easy to make good sounds, not so easy making a tune that can hold the average lkstener’s attention without requiring the use of illegal substances :lol:

But as you alluded to before it’s easier to spot things in other people’s work than your own. We are all expert critics. It’s very hard to be an expert creator :-)

But you don’t have to make groundbreaking work every time. Just making anything you feel is share-worthy is already amazing.

@iammane said:

@klownshed said:

It's easy to lose this perspective, myself included. There's VERY few albums I've listened to where I'm like "Man these are all good". When the radio / spotify / pandora whatever only play the super popular stuff, there's definitely duds from the same artist. It's just how it is. Think about all the crap that never even leaves the studio!!

Yeah no, your critique didn’t bug me. It definitely fit in the genre I’m looking for. A lot of the instrumental House stuff I like doesn’t have traditional song structure.

My main issue is I can’t get the mix right. Never had this much issue mixing a song. Putting this one on the backburner for a few months. I’ll be back later this month with something much better.

• My main issue is I can’t get the mix right. Never had this much issue mixing a song. Putting this one on the backburner for a few months. I’ll be back later this month with something much better.

Mixing is another art form. I've also found that some tracks almost mix themselves, but others are a real son of a b. And I feel I'm pretty decent at mixing for an amateur, and have way more than enough tools. Usually it's the bass or low-mids, and when I selected an instrument/sound that is integral to the track, but then makes things messy. Ugh.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

My main issue is I can’t get the mix right. Never had this much issue mixing a song. Putting this one on the backburner for a few months. I’ll be back later this month with something much better.

Mixing is another art form. I've also found that some tracks almost mix themselves, but others are a real son of a b. And I feel I'm pretty decent at mixing for an amateur, and have way more than enough tools. Usually it's the bass or low-mids, and when I selected an instrument/sound that is integral to the track, but then makes things messy. Ugh.

Exactly the issue. I built the track around two instruments and they’re causing the biggest issues.

• @richardyot
    "Living in a Silent Time" - I really liked that the words fit the mood of the song well. The best part for me is the chorus. Really contrasting as it uplifts the mood set during verse. The two chords played right after "silently" carries the song forward nicely and I found myself looking forward to it during the next chorus. The only issue for me is that the drums during verse seem to be restless and perhaps that's what you intended. Cool vocals. Topnotch production!

@klownshed
    "Dissenting Voices" - There is a brooding sense of tension throughout this one. I really liked the mysterious feel of the piano (?) melody around 1:20 mark ending with the vocals it gives me the sense that something sinister was revealed. Very atmospheric in that way.

@baudious
    "May 4, 2020" - Once again here we are inside baudious' industrial complex churning out more crushed bits than a supercomputer can handle and we really are going need the force to be with us here. Not exactly my cup of tea per se but gave it couple of listens and here's what I wanted more of: head-spinning audio panning heard towards the end as the tempo got mad at me. That would have put me in place.

@crony
    "New York Heat" - Ooh la la. Very smooth and funky. I really enjoyed this one; the little smokey synths that come and go around the funky bass and drum (which didn't overpower). I was thinking this one could really use a solo instrument to take us to that next level and the smooth synth coming in at around 2:20 like drops of cool rain worked well to give satisfaction. Topnotch!

@DavidEnglish
    "So Soft" - If you hadn't mentioned Launchpad I would not have been able to understand this one. For me, it feels a little all over the place but I wonder if that's to be expected from Launchpad or not. I have not tried it myself.

@iammane
    "Reaching for your heart" - Your vocals (whoever provided it) is the magic sauce in this one! I really enjoyed the laid back style of the singing and the harmonies. After the first vocal section I wished the song took a slightly different direction musically as the vocals did when he sang falsetto. That is, I was hoping to reach some sort of finale towards the end and .. it just ended without reaching that.... Oh, wait! :)

@Kitusai
    "Impatience" - When I first listened to this one I thought, lovely, I rarely hear something like - it's different. Thought I did not understand the lyrics as they were sung I did get the feeling of light, frothy impatience like little bubbles that are found floating on top of a pot on fire cooking something serious. I really like the guitars and the bass that comes in and then plays the part of a percussion instrument from time to time. Enjoyed it much!

@motmeister said:
    "The Long Climb" - through one of Bowser's lairs! For something you made in one night this is a lot of fun as I was transported to an intermediate boss level (the boss will escape through a backdoor, undoubtedly!).

Thanks everyone for sharing your music. I have enjoyed them all so much. :)

• @spyrogaia thanks for posting that big round of feedback, you've earnt 1000 SOTMC points 🏆

Looking forward to hearing your entry :)

• Okay, this is as happy as I’m going to be with it. I’m hoping the addition of the lead satisfies the desire for vocals. Played around with the instruments to get it to a mixable level.

I will say, the static that comes with Tines is a pain. Probably won’t be using it again.

• I like the static...and your track...nice work🔥

• @DukeWonder said:
    Okay, this is as happy as I’m going to be with it. I’m hoping the addition of the lead satisfies the desire for vocals. Played around with the instruments to get it to a mixable level.

I will say, the static that comes with Tines is a pain. Probably won’t be using it again.

Yeah I think the lead is essential as it provides movement and energy to the track, without it I think it wouldn't be anywhere as interesting or involving to listen to. Good melodies on that lead part to, it's definitely the highlight of the track, even though the rest of it is really solid.

• @Kitusai said:
    This month CAAt Claw joins me again

The guitar in this is really interesting, like it's been mangled or resampled somehow - I really like that sound. The percussion works well too, and the chimes in the intro are also very nice.

Very good vocals, with a nice contrast between the spoken and sung sections.

• @richardyot said:

@DukeWonder said:
    Okay, this is as happy as I’m going to be with it. I’m hoping the addition of the lead satisfies the desire for vocals. Played around with the instruments to get it to a mixable level.

Yeah I think the lead is essential as it provides movement and energy to the track, without it I think it wouldn't be anywhere as interesting or involving to listen to. Good melodies on that lead part to, it's definitely the highlight of the track, even though the rest of it is really solid.

Thank you. I’m honestly not really thrilled with it. I’ll leave it up for now but will probably take it down at the end of the month. I strongly prefer the lead-less version that I just finished mixing.

• edited May 2020

@DukeWonder said:

@richardyot said:

@DukeWonder said:

Thank you. I’m honestly not really thrilled with it. I’ll leave it up for now but will probably take it down at the end of the month. I strongly prefer the lead-less version that I just finished mixing.

Well there's still what I would consider to be a lead even in that one :) the synth line at the 3 minute point.

This version relies more on the arrangement to keep the interest going, but my ears always crave melody, so while I think both versions work, I still favour the one with the lead.

It's up to you though - my approach with feedback is that I always try and listen to it with an open mind, but if the advice really goes against what I consider to be best for the song I will ignore it.

• @richardyot said:

@DukeWonder said:

@richardyot said:

@DukeWonder said:

Well there's still what I would consider to be a lead even in that one :) the synth line at the 3 minute point.

This version relies more on the arrangement to keep the interest going, but my ears always crave melody, so while I think both versions work, I still favour the one with the lead.

It's up to you though - my approach with feedback is that I always try and listen to it with an open mind, but if the advice really goes against what I consider to be best for the song I will ignore it.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, definitely appreciate the feedback. I do definitely like the whole concept of the sounds and arrangement being the main points of interest. The melody is more of a vehicle for that, rather than the other way around. Different tastes.

• @richardyot nice groovy tune, I’d like to hear you do something that combines your ethereal atmospheric last months live jam with the melodic and groovy vocal stuff you are more used to.

@klownshed I enjoyed your track the most. Been listening to some kraftwerk lately so this hit the spot.
    Lovely atmosphere and rhythm throughout the song with great hooks!

@DavidEnglish this one is not my cup of tea but I hear some interesting sounds, I can imagine this playing in a futuristic tanning salon, year 2050, you put on those goggles, lay down, get some tan + free surgery done by robots with lasers

@baudious heavy tune and I like heavy tunes, industrial vibe with some prodigy grooves, a nice listen with interesting twists. If it were 2 min shorter it would be super exciting, running over 5 mins it looses its momentum.

@Kitusai ulala sexy french vox, I like. The production could be a little tighter but the song itself is great, something that could play on the radio and people here in Croatia would like it very much. I’ll play it to my wife when she wakes up.

@iammane I’ll play this one to my wife too :) Beautiful vocals, I hear the late Jeff Buckley in a modern post trip hop setting. Really nice! Post trip hop, is that a thing or did I make that up?

• Here is my short instrumental of the month.
    Recorded in March before I bought every app on sale so it was done in GarageBand with Nembrini BST100 on guitars, the drums are those grid drums in GB where you drag the elements to a grid an they play, with Eventide Qvox for some slapback.
    The “music video” was recorded last week while visiting the petting zoo part of the local camping site on island Pag where Im staying until the pandemic clears.
    The animals are really nice and fun to hang out with since social distancing is a thing now.

I call it Zoorock

• @NemanzgbKaj said:
    Here is my short instrumental of the month.
    Recorded in March before I bought every app on sale so it was done in GarageBand with Nembrini BST100 on guitars, the drums are those grid drums in GB where you drag the elements to a grid an they play, with Eventide Qvox for some slapback.
    The “music video” was recorded last week while visiting the petting zoo part of the local camping site on island Pag where Im staying until the pandemic clears.
    The animals are really nice and fun to hang out with since social distancing is a thing now.

I call it Zoorock

Good job - very nice and tight guitar playing and a couple of really great riffs in there - it needs some vocals now :)

The production is good, nice clear and punchy mix, and I like the outro too.

The video is great, the goats look thrilled to see you. I went to Croatia for the first time last summer, we stayed in Split for 10 days, what an amazing and beautiful country, probably my favourite holiday in Europe. The islands are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the sea, my god, the sea is crystal clear.

• Hello all,
    So this is my submission for this month. Finally created a SoundCloud account!
    This one started as an experiment (don’t they all?) in mid-March or so and it lead me here. All in Gadget.

• @DukeWonder

"Focus" - For me this is an overall good track. The first synth melody was pleasing on top of the chord progression and backing. When this melodic piece ended at around 2:20 min mark I was expecting another synth sound to somehow come in and elevate the song further. I think it is just personal taste though.

@NemanzgbKaj

"Zoorock" - Some solid guitar riffs here and really nice guitar sound as well. I like how it starts our almost as if it were an ambient piece with mellow guitars and then comes alive with the drum roll! As @richardyot said this one is in need of some good vocals and it will be a great rocker.

Thank you for sharing your music. :smile:

• My new Song for this month. As a fan of Donald Fagen I tried to make something in the Style of I.G.Y. Didnt dare to sing. So it is another Instrumental for (very) old school easy listening. Yes Im old....Recorded into Auria pro, Fab plugins, Saturn, Stock- Delay. Sounds from Yamaha Montage with a few custom Drumsamples and this old Voxwaveform from Roland xv- Series.

• My new Song for this month. As a fan of Donald Fagen I tried to make something in the Style of I.G.Y. Didnt dare to sing. So it is another Instrumental for (very) old school easy listening. Yes Im old....Recorded into Auria pro, Fab plugins, Saturn, Stock- Delay. Sounds from Yamaha Montage with a few custom Drumsamples and this old Voxwaveform from Roland xv- Series.

• edited May 2020

Finally finished mixing/mastering my damned song. Took forever. Four tries to get it sounding decent and as close to "professional" as I could. Ended up being 11.1 LUFS. I liked the number 111, so I left it rather than getting that last .1. Heh. Maybe it'll sound terrible on streaming services and I'll regret it and have to pay to release a "remastered" version that's -12 or -13 LUFS. I did go with -1 db peak this time.

Just submitted it via CDBaby (my 3rd ever) to force myself to just stop. I mean, seriously, I needed to stop. I love the song, but I hate the song at the moment I've heard it so many hundreds of times now. Once I get the barcode I can post it to SoundCloud and Bandcamp... and here. Does anyone else have trouble letting go sometimes? Some songs I have an easier time with mixing/mastering, as well as saying "Yeah, that's done. I can do something else now." Some I struggle with. This was a bit of a struggle. Not the worst, but on the Top Worst Struggles to Let Go list, for certain.

And, finally, I'll start listening to the full tracks here! I've listened to bits and pieces so far.

• I feel the same. After so many times you can‘t hear it again for a while. I hear mistakes that should be fixed, but it must be an end....

• But there is no link to your music...