Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

4Pockets Multitrack Recorder - Beatmaker 3 - Audio Mastering App

edited April 2020 in General App Discussion

So I have a couple of questions that I’m hoping someone can help me figure out. Here’s the background info. I have a beat that I made in Beatmaker 3. Settings are sample rate at 44.1 and 16 bit. I only record and play back with my audio interface. I know I read something about the newer iPads and sample rates, but my ipad is a gen 2 12.9 pro and I am only using those apps when my audio interface is connected. I imported the stereo wav file of the mix in 4 pockets multitrack recorder. It says the file is 48k. If I try to play it at 44.1 it sounds pitched down and slower.

My first question is.... Is the 4pockets app converting it to 48k upon import or is beatmaker 3 not saving it right? Also the VU meters in the 4pockets multitrack app are showing the file maxing out around 10 on the meter. In Beatmaker 3 it’s peaking at 2db. And my next question. When I load that same file into the app Audio Mastering, it’s only peaking somewhere between 6 and 3.

So to sum this up am I getting a file at 44.1 or 48 k? Is there any other way to check this? I don’t have access to a pc or mac, just ipad.
And how do I know which meter is correct as far as the 3 different apps? I know the meter question is probably my lack of know what the 4pockets and Audio Mastering apps are using. I don’t know if it’s lufs or what.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Or if you need further explanation from me to clarify anything, please let me know.

****I think I’ve figured this out. Lack of sleep and I wasn’t thinking straight. The 4pockets app converts it to 48khz on import for some reason. ****

Comments

• @Brad said:
    So I have a couple of questions that I’m hoping someone can help me figure out. Here’s the background info. I have a beat that I made in Beatmaker 3. Settings are sample rate at 44.1 and 16 bit. I only record and play back with my audio interface. I know I read something about the newer iPads and sample rates, but my ipad is a gen 2 12.9 pro and I am only using those apps when my audio interface is connected. I imported the stereo wav file of the mix in 4 pockets multitrack recorder. It says the file is 48k. If I try to play it at 44.1 it sounds pitched down and slower.

My first question is.... Is the 4pockets app converting it to 48k upon import or is beatmaker 3 not saving it right? Also the VU meters in the 4pockets multitrack app are showing the file maxing out around 10 on the meter. In Beatmaker 3 it’s peaking at 2db. And my next question. When I load that same file into the app Audio Mastering, it’s only peaking somewhere between 6 and 3.

So to sum this up am I getting a file at 44.1 or 48 k? Is there any other way to check this? I don’t have access to a pc or mac, just ipad.
    And how do I know which meter is correct as far as the 3 different apps? I know the meter question is probably my lack of know what the 4pockets and Audio Mastering apps are using. I don’t know if it’s lufs or what.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Or if you need further explanation from me to clarify anything, please let me know.

If you've exported the file at 48kHz and you're importing at 44.1khkHz?
    then it will sound pitched down as the playback
    doesn't know the difference until you tell it.

Check in the BM3 export settings.

Also if you can take a screenshot of your export
    settings then it will assist in sorting out your problem.

• @Gravitas said:

I was exporting it at 44.1khz and it was importing at 48khz. It’s evidently a default setting with the 4pockets app. I don’t know why I didn’t think to try something else. I opened the file with 2 other apps and it is indeed showing to be 44.1khz. I should have done that before even posting anything. I guess my lack of sleep is catching up with me.

• @Gravitas said:

@Brad said:

Some apps do on-the-fly sample rate conversion when file sample rate differs from playback sample rate and some don’t. What does BeatMaker do if you import the file directly and play it back? It is probably that 4Pockets is not sample rate converting. Samples record at 48k and played back without conversion will be pitched about one half-step too low.

• @espiegel123 said:

Samples record at 48k and played back without conversion will be pitched about one half-step too low.

That’s what it was doing. It’s definitely the 4pockets app. Even when you go to settings and change the default to 44.1khz it imports it at 48khz for some reason.

• @Brad said:

@espiegel123 said:

Samples record at 48k and played back without conversion will be pitched about one half-step too low.

That’s what it was doing. It’s definitely the 4pockets app. Even when you go to settings and change the default to 44.1khz it imports it at 48khz for some reason.

If I understand correctly the file was originally 48k which means it isn’t doing any sample rate conversion. The sample rate preference may only apply to files it creates when recording.

Is there a reasonable n you aren’t hosting the audio file directly in BeatMaker?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Brad said:

@espiegel123 said:

If I understand correctly the file was originally 48k which means it isn’t doing any sample rate conversion. The sample rate preference may only apply to files it creates when recording.

Is there a reasonable n you aren’t hosting the audio file directly in BeatMaker?

No it was originally 44.1khz and when i import to 4pockets it changes it to 48, even though i have the settings set to 44.1.
    The reason i was importing was to convert to mp3.

• I seem to be having a similar issue. I am using Koala sampler and Mulitrack in AUM. And I get this sample mismatch error but I don’t see any way to change it.

• edited October 2021

4pockets (auv3 version) sets the sample rate when you create its song to the same as the host at that point in time.

For example, in NS2, if I have my NS2 project running through my iPhone speakers then the sample rate is 48khz - so a new song in 4pockets will be set at 48. If I have my NS2 project running through my monitors via Bluetooth then the sample rate is 44khz - so a new song in 4pockets will be at 44.

I use 4pockets to host a reference track, so I actually have 2 instances in my NS2 project - one setup and running at 48 and one setup and running at 44 : importing the same reference wav to each instance will then set the respective wav to the sample rate of that instance IF the host is also set to the same sample playback rate at the time you import the wav - if it is not then you get the sample rate mismatch message.

When I play back the reference track I just unmute the 4pockets instance that matches the host’s sample rate at that particular time (ie if I’m monitoring through the phone’s speakers or if I’m monitoring through my monitors). You can use either instance of course, but only the instance with the same sample playback rate as the host at that moment will play back in time & in key.

This, of course, is to work around the “issue” that NS2 alters its playback sample rate dynamically to match that of my iPhone (ie it is my iPhone that is changing the sample rate depending on how I am monitoring)

Does the above clarify anything? It’s simple for me but maybe I haven’t written it clearly?