Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

best looper app to use in AUM while performing

basically i want to start a cool sound on a synth and effects....-> loop that. then continue on with the same synth but with different tones and effects and...—> loop that. now i have two loops playing in sync. then i’d like to perform another synth live. then lets have a drum app play a cool beat..-> loop that. and so on

i’d use the Aum file playback , but it doesn’t have any trim features yet, so what apps could help with this???
i am kind of puzzled

Comments

• I’m trying out ENSO..after rave reviews...very powerful....

• @IOSSOS said:
    I’m trying out ENSO..after rave reviews...very powerful....

oh yeah? that may work. i’ll have to try it

• Audio kit L7 Looper .... Newer app...Search You Tube.....

• Enso is nice for experimental looping.

L7 Looper has a good price atm. I wonder if they have plans of adding multiout support? That would help quite a bit, given the auv3 is limited to single-instance.

• L7 has not a direct overdub option yet if that is important to you.

• @eross said:
    basically i want to start a cool sound on a synth and effects....-> loop that. then continue on with the same synth but with different tones and effects and...—> loop that. now i have two loops playing in sync. then i’d like to perform another synth live. then lets have a drum app play a cool beat..-> loop that. and so on

i’d use the Aum file playback , but it doesn’t have any trim features yet, so what apps could help with this???
    i am kind of puzzled

Group the loop.. you can copy paste loops live in different groups .. it can host auv3 so you can pre set fx

• interesting. i don’t know l7 i’ll have e to investigate. does group the loop sync to AUM?

• does group the loop sit in an Aufx slot? or does it operate as a stand-alone app?

• @bleep said:
    Enso is nice for experimental looping.

L7 Looper has a good price atm. I wonder if they have plans of adding multiout support? That would help quite a bit, given the auv3 is limited to single-instance.

just tried L7 that works pretty nicely. yes multiout would but it on another level for sure.
    Also i sure hope the new pro Loopy can sit in the AU effects slot in Aum and also have multi out.

• @eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

For multiple co-ordinated loops nothing beats loopy+AUM+audiobus

Super solid, reliable and super flexible

https://wiki.audiob.us/loopy_aum_integration_with_audiobus_3

• edited April 2020

FYI: “the new pro Loopy” is in development, been waiting for it longer than even the fabled Drambo. and yes, it will be amazing from what I understand

Also, the original Loopy HD available right now is a great option, but as mentioned it has to be routed inside Audiobus in order to be used in AUM. It works very well.

• @espiegel123, that's a nice wiki page and a good showcase for the combined AB/AUM session.

Given Loopy's strong midi binding capabilities and the flexibilities of Mozaic, would there be a benefit of having a dedicated Mozaic script for Loopy looping in AUM? Perhaps something with 4 separate Loopy output channels, matching the 4 pads in Mozaic.

• @espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

that’s pretty helpful thanks

• @Hmtx said:
    FYI: “the new pro Loopy” is in development, been waiting for it longer than even the fabled Drambo. and yes, it will be amazing from what I understand

Also, the original Loopy HD available right now is a great option, but as mentioned it has to be routed inside Audiobus in order to be used in AUM. It works very well.

loopy pro. is it somewhat close to being released in the wild, or is it years away still ?

• @bleep said:
    @espiegel123, that's a nice wiki page and a good showcase for the combined AB/AUM session.

Given Loopy's strong midi binding capabilities and the flexibilities of Mozaic, would there be a benefit of having a dedicated Mozaic script for Loopy looping in AUM? Perhaps something with 4 separate Loopy output channels, matching the 4 pads in Mozaic.

I use some Mozaic scripts with Loopy to facilitate things like muting and starting and stopping individual loops and putting them in overdub mode.

• QuantiLoop

QuantiLoop can also host AUv3 if needed.

• @espiegel123 said:

@bleep said:
    @espiegel123, that's a nice wiki page and a good showcase for the combined AB/AUM session.

I use some Mozaic scripts with Loopy to facilitate things like muting and starting and stopping individual loops and putting them in overdub mode.

interesting. did you write the script yourself? or is there a premise scripting out there somewhere?

• yeah does he have vids or tutorials somewhere?

• @eross said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bleep said:

interesting. did you write the script yourself? or is there a premise scripting out there somewhere?

i wrote them.

• If you want more than one section, eg intro/verse/chorus, Group the Loop is the one, has lots of midi control and works well in AUM. You can have many groups, but individual layers within groups are limited to 4, though you can of course overdub and merge within those layers.

If you wan't more depth rather than width Loopy HD seem to be the one to beat.

I didn't enjoy Quantiloop, mainly because it behaves and looks just like a traditional footpedal looper, which would work for some, but not me.

• @eross said:

yeah does he have vids or tutorials somewhere

Audiobus fan boy though

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJyGsh5gQF5ORkgN198vnFw

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

@eross said:

None of the loopers I know of have trim features yet. You have to export, trim, and re import. Loopy is unique in that you can easily reposition a loop, for instance if you start late. This combined with overdub after record (to play over any gaps and smooth the loop) gets by in most cases.

I really, really hope Loopy Pro has a way to trim loops onboard.

[edit] I take that back ... Enso kind of has trim in that you can pick sections for playback. I don’t trust its stability too much though.

• @espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

What is AB doing here, that I couldn’t do with Loopy and AUM alone?

• I’ve been heavily using the loopy template from @espiegel123 over the last few weeks (thank you). Audiobus gives you the side bar and state saving which are invaluable, just save the AB preset and everything is saved in AUM and loopy too.

Side bar is always useful to keep track of the state of your loops and switch apps, as is AB remote if you have a second device.

I’ve modified the template for Quantiloop and Group the Loop, I’m using QL mostly at the moment, but about to go back into GTL to see if I can get as far as a song structure. They are all a joy and I choose not to choose between them. I use L7 as well, but the lack of midi control for the AU means it’s no good for me for looping live drums or guitar.

One extra thing, I’ve been long seeking the the right rhythm app for Quantiloop. About a decade after everybody else I’ve finally discovered the brilliant Drumjam, the perfect companion.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

I would recommend reading the WiKi entry and watching the videos.
    Your question may have been covered :) ;)

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

Hosting Loopy**. Loopy can't be hosted in AUM directly.

(** and generally being awesome B) )

• @wim said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

Hosting Loopy**. Loopy can't be hosted in AUM directly.

(** and generally being awesome B) )

And allowing for central control with the sidebar :)

• @steve99 said:

One extra thing, I’ve been long seeking the the right rhythm app for Quantiloop. About a decade after everybody else I’ve finally discovered the brilliant Drumjam, the perfect companion.

Drumjam is awesome. If only it could play triplets....

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

i am kind of puzzled

Two critical things:

• AB acts as a conduit to pipe audio from AUM to Loopy
    • AB's floating palette lets you control Loopy without having to leave AUM. Is this not apparent in the video?