Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LayR-Multi Timbral Synthesizer by Living Memory Software will be reduced to half price for one week

Comments

• So is this thing any good?

• I would by it again anytime if I did not already have it :blush:

• I might, I might.

• Was already tempted to get Auditor to chop samples and loops for SP-404, BM3, etc.
    Now this.
    They DO want my money, I see :lol:

• I don’t have it but I’ve heard nothing but praise about it. Gonna give this some serious consideration, but I have been going a little app cray recently so we shall see.

• @TimRussell said:
    So is this thing any good?

Hall of fame quality synth. Check out the many excellent dems on YouTube such as

• @TimRussell said:
    So is this thing any good?

It’s outstanding. There are some UI quirks that threw me initially but after that - wow!

• Still 28.99 euros here in Cyprus.... No sniff of sale dammit!...

• @studs1966 said:
    Still 28.99 euros here in Cyprus.... No sniff of sale dammit!..

Ignore that remark.. It’s the 3rd tomorrow... DOH!

• It's on sale now:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1155825562

Down from $25.99 to $11.99

• It's Division One.

• Bought it. Just from playing around with it for a few minutes I understand how powerful and versatile it is. So good.

BTW the interface is a little glitchy when used inside NS2 (there is flickering and no refreshing of the backdrop). No such problem in Cubasis 3.

• Wow, just wow :-)))))))

• @topaz said:
    Wow, just wow :-)))))))

+1

• Any thoughts on the sound quality between LayR and Zeeon? I've had my eye on both instruments for a couple years, but I don't usually spring for VA synths. But Zeeon has me intrigued because of its reputation for audio rate modulation and sound quality. LayR seems to be quite deep, but if it doesn't match in quality, I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

• Had to switch to legacy engine because of high cpu usage of the new engine on my iPhone 8+

Does anyone know what’s the differences in functionality between the two?

• Maybe I should pick this one up in what seems to be a rare sale. I'm a sucker for textural soundscapes from the darker parts of the ambient landscape. Anyone knows whether those Basement cinematics presets come included with the app?

• Yep included and fantastic

• How cpu demanding is LAYR?

similar to Model D and Model 15 or a bit less hungry?

IPad Pro 12,9 2017 here - and still I notice I often avoid the Moog Synths easily a add „too much“ cpu-needs into complex AUM set ups with several other AUV3s running simultaneously -

Will LAYR be the same way?

• @aleyas said:
    Any thoughts on the sound quality between LayR and Zeeon? I've had my eye on both instruments for a couple years, but I don't usually spring for VA synths. But Zeeon has me intrigued because of its reputation for audio rate modulation and sound quality. LayR seems to be quite deep, but if it doesn't match in quality, I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

They are very different synths. I wouldn't call LayR a VA synth.

You can have as many layers as your machine can handle, it has an interesting powerful arpeggiator, very long envelopes are possible. The layer architecture is quite interesting. It doesn't seem to make an attempt to model analog synths.

LayR is very different. Check out videos of it and the manual.

• godgod
    edited April 2020

@Bon_Tempi said:
    How cpu demanding is LAYR?

IPad Pro 12,9 2017 here - and still I notice I often avoid the Moog Synths easily a add „too much“ cpu-needs into complex AUM set ups with several other AUV3s running simultaneously -

It is very hungry and seems it can get nastily hungry depending on how many layers, instruments you employ .

If you use it on an older device, or if you use alongside other AUv3 plugins, I’d recommend setting it to run with “legacy engine” option, and to allow the maximum buffer size, and to lower the maximum number of voices to the minimum possible (I think it’s 64). Otherwise your device might choke. Like mine did.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    It's Division One.

That's the 3rd league these days. :)

Championship quality?

Premier?

• Tempted.

Had there been Community presets on Patchstorage I might have pressed the Buy button already.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    It's Division One.

That's the 3rd league these days. :)

Championship quality?

Premier?

:D

• Manual + a few videos to start with..

• godgod
    edited April 2020

@royor said:

The dev says 256 voices use the same amount of CPU as 1 voice, but from my experience when I have LayR set to use the maximum number of voices (256) it chokes my CPU to bits, yet and when I take it down to the lowest value of 64, CPU is happy. Anyone having a similar experience?

• edited April 2020

@god said:

@royor said:

The dev says 256 voices use the same amount of CPU as 1 voice, but from my experience when I have LayR set to use the maximum number of voices (256) it chokes my CPU to bits, yet and when I take it down to the lowest value of 64, CPU is happy. Anyone having a similar experience?

And what I said is is true, give or take +- 10% or so depending on device. For an iPad Pro 2017, 128 voices should run at between 25% and 35% CPU in the stand-alone app. (64 won't be much less) If you're seeing higher figures for long periods of time, try force-resetting the iPad which often helps. 256 for this device is pushing it. The CPU figures reported by various AUv3 hosts seems to vary a bit more, but the CPU calculator in LayR's stand-alone app is very accurate. I'm seeing the figures I stated above on my iPad 2017.

I hope you all have fun with LayR :) Please read the manual and watch the vids which you can find links to on our website :)
    https://livingmemorysoftware.com/layr/

• @god said:

@Bon_Tempi said:
    How cpu demanding is LAYR?

It is very hungry and seems it can get nastily hungry depending on how many layers, instruments you employ .

If you use it on an older device, or if you use alongside other AUv3 plugins, I’d recommend setting it to run with “legacy engine” option, and to allow the maximum buffer size, and to lower the maximum number of voices to the minimum possible (I think it’s 64). Otherwise your device might choke. Like mine did.

Thanks for your feedback - and from how many layers/instruments are we talking - in the meaning of - it can get „nastily hungry“ from there on ?

are most of the presets on the nastily hungry or less nastily side?

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:

@god said:

@royor said:

And what I said is is true, give or take +- 10% or so depending on device. For an iPad Pro 2017, 128 voices should run at between 25% and 35% CPU in the stand-alone app. (64 won't be much less) If you're seeing higher figures for long periods of time, try force-resetting the iPad which often helps. 256 for this device is pushing it. The CPU figures reported by various AUv3 hosts seems to vary a bit more, but the CPU calculator in LayR's stand-alone app is very accurate. I'm seeing the figures I stated above on my iPad 2017.

I hope you all have fun with LayR :) Please read the manual and watch the vids which you find likes to on our website :)
    https://livingmemorysoftware.com/layr/

Hi!

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I will continue to play around with the settings. I only run LayR as guest so standalone rates don’t really apply in my case.

All in all, this is a great, great app! I am super happy with it

• edited April 2020

@god said:

@royor said:

That wasn’t a quote from me by the way..
    EDIT: Nevermind.. haven’t had enough coffee yet this morning.. 🤪