Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveRider, which hardware is it modeled on?

edited March 2020 in Other

Hi friends. I assume GrooveRider is emulating the Korg Electribe but am I correct? If so, would a transition to that (or a different piece of the hardware it’s emulating) be easier having used this app? I’m considering a piece of hardware with which I can be nearly as productive as I am in this wonderful app. Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Both Electribe and Electribe Sampler plus an incredible wavetable synth.
    Indeed the workflow is quite similar but whichever hardware box you'll get, you'll always miss something 😉

• Oh, and GR-16 has Ableton Link and the knobs show the current value positions.
    And a full-screen-width 16-channel mixer.

• True true. Anyone here use the Electribe? @rs2000 ?

• edited March 2020

Which hardware controller have others mapped for GR16? I haven't committed much time to it, but I feel I'm might do more with hardware. Anyone use Beatstep OG? I have laying around I haven't used in a long time.

• edited March 2020

I've got the older EMX1 which has a fun synthesis engine plus enough knobs to be a good experience when composing and tweaking knobs.
    The newer Electribe plastic boxes are good technically but imho not as much fun to use. When I want hardware then it's because hands-on control should be more fun that using a touch screen.
    Originally I always wanted the sampler version (ESX1) but after trying both, I had to admit that the EMX was much more inspiring to me and samples could be easily added using, yes, iSpark and NanoStudio 1 on my iPad 2 docked into an Alesis io Dock.
    Man, that was years ago! But I wasn't able to get rid of it yet 😍
    Also, apart from the Digitakt, it's one of the reasons why I think that MIDI clock slaving should be supported by more iOS apps.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-electribe-emx1

Audio demo:

BTW, MISTABISHI was inspired enough by the jewel to write a complete album on the EMX, and the EMX patterns can be downloaded from KORG:

• Nice thing about the 2/2S vs MX/SX is they have individual step length, swing/groove templates per track, step jump...
    Of course GR-16 has all that and a lot more! (except stereo sample support).
    The original gray/black 2/2S had magnesium alloy metal cases, are the new red/blue cases plastic?

• @rs2000 said:
    BTW, MISTABISHI was inspired enough by the jewel to write a complete album on the EMX, and the EMX patterns can be downloaded from KORG:

He has one or two more albuns, but I think with the E2 generation. And on his youtube channel he did some Doom soundtrack covers using only Electribe. Sure shows what they are good for...

Another one to watch if you dig the tribes is Midera:

• Yeah. the Electribe 2 is definitely aluminum. I've got the grey non sampler version...

• But to get back on track to @kinkujin's question... I have the older tribes only. But those I know that have or had Electribe 2 always mention that GR-16 is really approximate in its workflow indeed

• Good point @Sequencer1, GR16 cannot sample without using a 3rd-party app while the Electribe Sampler can sample in mono or stereo.

Sorry you're right, it looks plasticky but at least the case is solid metal. I'm always mixing this up.

• @senhorlampada said:
    But to get back on track to @kinkujin's question... I have the older tribes only. But those I know that have or had Electribe 2 always mention that GR-16 is really approximate in its workflow indeed

Aha! That’s what I thought. Maybe I read that somewhere. So now I wonder, if I was to go down this road, which I’m still unsure about, would I get the E2 or the E2s version. Lots of filters on the first, sampling on the second.

As always, AB forum is a wealth of info.

• I'd go as far as to say that when Groover Rider was released I put my Electribe 2 back into it's box and it's still in the box.
    In some aspects Groove Rider is way, way better than hardware Electribe minus the hardware.

In short it is what the Electribe 2 should have been :D

• @kinkujin said:
    Aha! That’s what I thought. Maybe I read that somewhere. So now I wonder, if I was to go down this road, which I’m still unsure about, would I get the E2 or the E2s version. Lots of filters on the first, sampling on the second.

As always, AB forum is a wealth of info.

Maybe it's worth checking on Korg's site, manuals, reviews, etc.
    But if i'm not wrong, there are some voices that overlap in both of them. so E2 Synth would have more synth/rompler voices and E2 Sampler has less voices but a load of sample slot

I wanted to get one too :lol: someday

• Copying from my old Ebay auction:
    The Electribe 2S (Sampler version) has almost 1000 slots for samples and synth oscillators, with the first 16 slots offering real synthesis in the form of analog modeling oscillators like Sine, Triangle, Saw, and Square, with Sync, Unison, etc. versions of those basic analog oscillators. There is an OSC Edit knob which modifies the oscillator or sample, for example PWM, shape, or detune for the analog oscillators or playback direction (including Reverse) for samples. All of the built-in PCM samples can be over-written. Three filters.

The Electribe 2 (Synth version) has a lot more multi-synthesis oscillators and filters, but no sampling or sample support.

Same insert and master FX on both. Same 16-track sequencer. Same 3-knob LFO/modulation. Same Kaoss Pad. Same 4-note paraphony. Ableton Live export or 16x WAV file export to SD Card. 6x AA battery powered. MIDI-over-USB. Velocity-sensitive pads. Lots of different scales. Per track swing/groove, step length, last step...

• @kinkujin said:
    Hi friends. I assume GrooveRider is emulating the Korg Electribe but am I correct? If so, would a transition to that (or a different piece of the hardware it’s emulating) be easier having used this app? I’m considering a piece of hardware with which I can be nearly as productive as I am in this wonderful app. Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.

i had Electribe2 (stynth version) and in my opinion Grooverider is WAAAY much better than Electribe... Biggest problem on Electribe was massive polyphony stealing by delays and other effects, in most cases effective polyphony was around 8-10 voices instead of 25 promoted by Korg... it has also bugs (very short envelope on one channel caused wrong triggering of envelope on other channel and it even freezed during playback one time)

For me it was huge disappointment... old Electribe (EMX/ESX) was lot better..

Anyway, Grooverider is everything what Electribe2 should be but never was because Korg totally failed. It is good just as MIDI controller to Grooverider :-)

• Soundwise Gadget can do almost everything the Electribe 2 is capable of. It's got all the different synthesis models in the different Gadgets and most samples are present in the various Gadgets as well...

• Yeah, this too I gathered along the way. Hmm. Maybe I will end up back to my first idea ... notation circuit.