Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Doug Woods is a Matrixbrute

I'm generally not a big fan of the Sound Test Room (just because Doug's videos tend to be quick sketches), but this is something different. He's clearly a master of the Matrixbrute, which is where my money will go if I decide to buy a proper hardware synth. More credit because this was done live :o

Comments

• I nearly bought one of these, but then spent the money on fishing tackle instead. Oppsie :p

• I’ve learned loads from Sound Test Room videos.

• edited March 2020

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I nearly bought one of these, but then spent the money on fishing tackle instead. Oppsie :p

:) My 'retail logic' says I can buy one of these on eBay for not much more than I paid for my (okay, really f* expensive) iPad Pro. And luckily I don't even fish...

• @MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I nearly bought one of these, but then spent the money on fishing tackle instead. Oppsie :p

:) My 'retail logic' says I can buy one of these on eBay for not much more than I paid for my (okay, really f* expensive) iPad Pro. And luckily I don't even fish...

Yeah probably so. I’m getting a new iPad at the end of this year, but that’s going to be on a card so I get a year interest free to pay it off in. It’s not quite so easy for me to find a music retailer that I could get credit for the bigger items on my income. Besides, I’m desperate for a new iPad now as my Air 2 is really a bit long in the tooth. Might just get some form of midi device later - keys or pads I haven’t decided yet. I do sometimes miss having a nice hardware synth, but they mostly can’t compete with an iPad for the thrill a poor man can get from a new app every week :)

• I'm generally amazed at how much Doug learns about the apps he demos for us.
    I expect he's generally given advanced copies to help him dig into an app before it ships.
    It give him top marks as a trusted advisor and usually wait to see how his video details a specific app... not because of what he might say but more about what he shows it doing... and knowing what it does isn't trivial. Then he seems to just improvise the video without a script but just a general plan or AUM set up he's assembled and tested.

Haq spends more time and usually looks for an editorial angle and groups apps with some theme. Both are valid approaches but Doug is generally the first to post a video.

• edited March 2020

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I do sometimes miss having a nice hardware synth, but they mostly can’t compete with an iPad for the thrill a poor man can get from a new app every week :)

Agreed for sure, but one way the Matrixbrute scores is its 'one knob, one function' accessibility. Doug mentioned this in his video and it's also a point made in (I think) this series I was watching a while back.

• @MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I do sometimes miss having a nice hardware synth, but they mostly can’t compete with an iPad for the thrill a poor man can get from a new app every week :)

Agreed for sure, but one way the Matrixbrute scores is its 'one knob, one function' accessibility. Doug mentioned this in his video and it's also a point made in (I think) this series I was watching a while back.

O yes nothing like that hands on control, especially for making performances unique.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MarkH said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

O yes nothing like that hands on control, especially for making performances unique.

Come on though, admit it’s really the wooden end cheeks of hardware that makes us all list for it! :p

• The sound test room's videos are generally very useful yes, and I'm grateful they are there. But I'd love them to be a bit less meandering (and have mentioned this directly there too by the way). I'd also like apps to be assessed a bit more critically there. There's a problem I feel where Doug doesn't want to be too critical about the apps, or say what another similar app might do better. We need more comparison so we don't end up buying every app going. I feel a bit bad saying anything critical here, but I think we all benefit from constructive criticism as long as it is worded in a reasonable way.

Sure everyone has their own style, but Jakob Haq takes top spot for me - clarity, brevity and just downright enjoyability.

• I’m a fan of Doug’s vids, but I have a problem watching the long ones on this iPad. If I try and skip through YouTube just freezes up. Could be because I’m on an old Air 2, iOS 12, or crap internet connection. All long vids, not just Doug’s. Otherwise I have to watch them all the way through, and I don’t usually have time to do that.

• @MonzoPro maybe using the change playback speed setting in YouTube would be a good one, watch on 1.5 or 2x speed.

• @Gavinski said:
    @MonzoPro maybe using the change playback speed setting in YouTube would be a good one, watch on 1.5 or 2x speed.

Ah ok, didn't know about that - thanks :)

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m a fan of Doug’s vids, but I have a problem watching the long ones on this iPad. If I try and skip through YouTube just freezes up. Could be because I’m on an old Air 2, iOS 12, or crap internet connection. All long vids, not just Doug’s. Otherwise I have to watch them all the way through, and I don’t usually have time to do that.

Just a thought and I'm sure you've already tried, but does this happen when you try and view in the browser too rather than the youtube app?

• Did Doug get sent this or did he buy it?

• @klownshed said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I’m a fan of Doug’s vids, but I have a problem watching the long ones on this iPad. If I try and skip through YouTube just freezes up. Could be because I’m on an old Air 2, iOS 12, or crap internet connection. All long vids, not just Doug’s. Otherwise I have to watch them all the way through, and I don’t usually have time to do that.

Just a thought and I'm sure you've already tried, but does this happen when you try and view in the browser too rather than the youtube app?

I don't actually use the app, just the browser. Good point though - I'll try the app.

• Without Doug I wouldn't know 50% of the apps I use to make music. And 50% of them I wouldn't even know how to use. Thank you Doug. 🙏

• IMHO, the Doug's videos are the same that a reading an ultra boring manual.

He starts to fiddle without any sense, a lot of non-final sentences....

Again, my opinion. Look the loopop review about the Matrixbrute..

• I don't watch them all but have enjoyed many of Doug's videos.

Other reviewers want to give you a blow by blow of every single feature which can be useful but I enjoy Doug's videos for a realistic take on what a musician might make of an app or synth or whatever.

He's a good player and you get to hear what these things sound like. Suits me.

• @drcongo said:
    I’ve learned loads from Sound Test Room videos.

👍

• edited March 2020

@OnfraySin said:
    IMHO, the Doug's videos are the same that a reading an ultra boring manual.

He starts to fiddle without any sense, a lot of non-final sentences....

Again, my opinion. Look the loopop review about the Matrixbrute..

Coming back to the point, this is absolutely not what you will see in this live improvised video about the Matrixbrute. It's also why the question of whether he bought it or was sent it seems irrelevant, because what comes through is a confident and largely coherent romp (it was, after all, an unscripted live stream) through many of the essential features of the machine, by someone who has clearly used it in anger on real world applications. (And can play!)

• edited March 2020

Doug is the best at showing me what a new app sounds like and how to use whatever app he’s got at the time. I’m familiar with his playing style and I trust his ears. No disrespect to Jakob I watch him too he is hilarious and gifted as well. My all time favorite vid is the call between Doug and Jakob working out whatever when they used to work together.
    That said I know I will never have even 5% of either’s talent, so a Maxibrute would be wasted on me. Plus there’s an awful lot of great fish that haven’t been caught yet..

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Plus there’s an awful lot of great fish that haven’t been caught yet..

There sure is! B)

• @Jocphone said:
    I don't watch them all but have enjoyed many of Doug's videos.

Other reviewers want to give you a blow by blow of every single feature which can be useful but I enjoy Doug's videos for a realistic take on what a musician might make of an app or synth or whatever.

He's a good player and you get to hear what these things sound like. Suits me.

bang on. that’s how I feel too