Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Backup App

Does anyone know if there is an ios app that will let you back up your ipad to an external drive. I don’t have any way to connect to a computer and I don’t want to use icloud.

Comments

• @Brad said:
    Does anyone know if there is an ios app that will let you back up your ipad to an external drive. I don’t have any way to connect to a computer and I don’t want to use icloud.

Unfortunately, you really need a desktop device to fully back up an iDevice. Short of that iCloud is unavoidable for backups BUT there is a drawback of iCloud backups as there are some apps whose data seems not to get backed up to iCloud backups.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

It would be helpful to know more specifics about what you mean by “backup”. Do you mean like an iTunes full backup that is used to completely recover a device, but can’t be used to restore individual files or apps? Do you mean backing up files from individual apps? Do you mean backing up app “.ipa” files to preserve them if they disappear from the App Store?

Backups have specific context in iOS. It’s not quite as straightforward as on a Desktop OS.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Unfortunately, you really need a desktop device to fully back up an iDevice. Short of that iCloud is unavoidable for backups BUT there is a drawback of iCloud backups as there are some apps whose data seems not to get backed up to iCloud backups.

I read your post about that and that’s what got me thinking.

@wim said:
    It would be helpful to know more specifics about what you mean by “backup”. Do you mean like an iTunes full backup that is used to completely recover a device, but can’t be used to restore individual files or apps? Do you mean backing up files from individual apps? Do you mean backing up app “.ipa” files to preserve them if they disappear from the App Store?

Backups have specific context in iOS. It’s not quite as straightforward as on a Desktop OS.

Kind of all of the above I guess. I’d like to back up my “system” so to speak with the way everything is set up and all the apps. I’d also like to back up all the files and such too. I guess it’s wishful thinking that Apple would allow us to actually do something that made sense with our devices. I mean they won’t even let us add music to our music app without a computer involved.

It would have been great to have had this feature the other day. After I updated an app and now it’s all messed up. I could just revert back to the previous version.

• @Brad said:

@espiegel123 said:

I read your post about that and that’s what got me thinking.

@wim said:

Kind of all of the above I guess. I’d like to back up my “system” so to speak with the way everything is set up and all the apps. I’d also like to back up all the files and such too. I guess it’s wishful thinking that Apple would allow us to actually do something that made sense with our devices. I mean they won’t even let us add music to our music app without a computer involved.

It would have been great to have had this feature the other day. After I updated an app and now it’s all messed up. I could just revert back to the previous version.

I do redundant backups because this stuff is important to me. It is important to realize that Apple's backup mechanisms are not meant for incremental restores.

I use iMazing because it does provide ways of restoring or retrieving just some data from a backup. But, it does require a desktop machine, too.

The number of people that use mobile devices and care about the kind of data that isn't backed up by iCloud backups and have no desktop connectivity is relatively small which is way Apple probably hasn't invested resources in doing something beyond iCloud backups.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The number of people that use mobile devices and care about the kind of data that isn't backed up by iCloud backups and have no desktop connectivity is relatively small which is way Apple probably hasn't invested resources in doing something beyond iCloud backups.

Yeah I get it. I know most people aren’t using their ipads or phones for serious music production and what not, but they (Apple) do try to push Ipads as a laptop replacement.

• Jailbreaking your device is the only way to let one app access other apps' data without limitations.
    An iTunes backup using a Windows or Mac computer is the way to go if you want to back up all your app data (not the apps themselves, again, that's only possible after a jailbreak).

• @rs2000 said:
    Jailbreaking your device is the only way to let one app access other apps' data without limitations.
    An iTunes backup using a Windows or Mac computer is the way to go if you want to back up all your app data (not the apps themselves, again, that's only possible after a jailbreak).

Yeah I don’t wanna do the jailbreak, but to me that’s how they ipads should come from the factory. I remember a few years ago seeing a guy using a mouse with an actual pointer just like on computers with a jail broken ipad and an app that allowed it. I love the ipad, don’t get me wrong, but Apple had sort of made me wish I would have jus got another laptop instead of an Ipad when my last laptop finally got too old to do update.

• @Brad said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yeah I get it. I know most people aren’t using their ipads or phones for serious music production and what not, but they (Apple) do try to push Ipads as a laptop replacement.

I'd put it differently. They know that most users that ARE using their devices for serious production also have a desktop machine. And for those that don't they figure that iCloud backups plus iOS 13's access to external drives is enough.

• edited February 2020

Imazing allows to backup apps ipa files without jailbreaking. It even allows to backup apps which are not on AppStore anymore, but still on Apple servers. I’ve done it with KRFT.

• edited February 2020

@Janosax said:
    Imazing allows to backup apps ipa files without jailbreaking.

I would clarify this slightly. If I understand correctly, iMazing (which I use for backups) allows you to download ipa files from the App Store which you can use in restores. But I don't think it can rip an ipa file direct from the device. So, if you have an older version on your device than is in the store and haven't previously downoaded it with iMazing, you can't get it from the device. (Though I could be mistaken)

• edited February 2020

@Brad said:

@rs2000 said:
    Jailbreaking your device is the only way to let one app access other apps' data without limitations.

Yeah I don’t wanna do the jailbreak, but to me that’s how they ipads should come from the factory. I remember a few years ago seeing a guy using a mouse with an actual pointer just like on computers with a jail broken ipad and an app that allowed it. I love the ipad, don’t get me wrong, but Apple had sort of made me wish I would have jus got another laptop instead of an Ipad when my last laptop finally got too old to do update.

I agree 100%. Got some older jailbroken devices and it's heaven in comparison. You could share the whole file system over WiFi at your home if you wanted, or just upload samples directly (and automatically if you want) to your app of choice using sftp.
    If you want full access to your own files, as stupid as it sounds, there's no way around a Win or Mac machine. Some iOS apps offer quite good built-in file sharing facilities, others only support iCloud etc. so you can't even access files on your own iPad without an internet connection 🤪

@espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:
    Imazing allows to backup apps ipa files without jailbreaking.

I would clarify this slightly. If I understand correctly, iMazing (which I use for backups) allows you to download ipa files from the App Store which you can use in restores. But I don't think it can rip an ipa file direct from the device. So, if you have an older version on your device than is in the store and haven't previously downoaded it with iMazing, you can't get it from the device. (Though I could be mistaken)

Yep, that's what I found too. I haven't found a way to make iMazing download the same app version again. (it basically does what older iTunes versions do if I get it right...)

• edited February 2020

@espiegel123 Yes, thats the limitation. Only way is to do regular backups to keep different apps versions. I have the issue with Fantastical 3, wanted to go back to Fantastical 2 but didn’t made any backup so it’s not possible. So when you download an ipa with imazing save it in a folder on your hdd, you will be able to have different versions.