Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pro tip: Blocs Wave stock loops are plenty good for quick-and-dirty soundtracks

I need to make a bunch of backing music for a video project with different moods quickly. Rather than turn to stock, my production priorities is to first define the mood I'm going for and then pick a somewhat classic genre-match. Then, I turn to my library, and look for a single loop that epitomizes what I'm trying to capture. It might be rock drums for a middle-America classic rock song. It might a tropical marimbas, whatever.

Then I build out a few tracks, usually no more than four. (remember, you're mixing with a lot of other sound, too.

Blocs' factory samples are great. They are easy to audition and load. I've made at least an hour of acceptable soundtrack SO quickly.

It's not really inspiration or music making. But it is a great way to have more control over your soundtrack than you would by buying stock. I think it might be even more difficult for me to compose across all the different genres I'm using, anyway.

Comments