Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

anyone making websites solely on an ipad?

anyone making websites solely on an ipad?

i'm looking for a way to create...

simple picture pages with hyperlinks to other picture pages or media playing

my hosting offers a web-builder, but i'd prefer something a little more fluid

also keen to keep creation on my ipad

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Theoretically you could do - install Wordpress on your host and buy or build your own theme. Affinity Designer for logo creation, Photo for other graphics, and then you’d do most of the content population and page creation online.

• edited January 2020

If you want to modify code files, manage files, permissions, etc get Coda app (from Panic) - it does FTP, SFTP, Terminal, WebDAV, etc. This app is really beautiful and elegant.

Navicat app is the best to manage databases, edit data, etc. (installing phpMyAdmin on your site gives you web access to manage databases using a browser).

The above apps are robust and the best.

Wordpress and other CMS apps installation on your site gives you a backend web UI to publish and manage content using a browser. If using Wordpress CMS, you could also use the free Wordpress app to manage your content.

There you go - you can manage your site from anywhere - on the go!

CAUTION: Do not do extensive file/code/database changes using apps - if something gets broken, the site goes down and you may have to get on a desktop to fix it as it may be hard to locate and debug issues on an iPad. However, plain content doesn’t usually break a site

EDIT: Google Analytics app to track traffic and Adsense app to track ad revenue - these are free. You could also try Analytics Pro app for data visualization

• Thanks for the suggestions :)

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

If you're just creating pages from scratch, then I highly recommend Textastic Code Editor.

It's a great editor, but where it really stands out is in the local > remote integration. It has SFTP, FTP, SSH, Files App, DropBox, Google Drive, and WebDAV connectivity. But the really cool thing is once you establish a link between a remote file and a local working copy, uploading to the server, or downloading is a press of a button.

Add to this that you can preview files locally. So, you can quickly flip back and forth between editing and preview, then when ready upload with a single tap.

It has multiple tabs so you can work on several files at once. It even has a terminal emulator, which saves a lot of time for processes that need to be restarted to enact changes. Oh, and it's universal, which has come in very handy a few times when there have been things that had to be addressed when I'm not at home ... such as once when I addressed a major outage caused by someone else ... while standing in line for Splash Mountain at Disneyland. :D (true story)

(P.S. ... that said, I would never try to create web sites solely on the iPad. But it's good for maintenance and simple pages.)

• Oh ... and #1 suggestion above all else.

Must. Have. Bluetooth QWERTY keyboard.

• Someone on here once posted about a website making app they use...

I think it was the Universe app.

• I haven't made one solely on the Ipad in a while but the last time I did I used Html Egg and it was great, they have a newer version out since I last used it.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/html-egg-2-website-designer/id1450771222

• Thanks

i've had a number of urls for a while now, and am looking for a creative process i can injoy

not averse to raw coding (i do have a keyboard!), but wysiwyg does appeal :)

• This mite help doing web stuff on an idevice. Not sure if its any good but it is currently on sale for free, so... usually $2.99

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/web-inspect-for-iphone/id1333379507

• edited January 2020

@wim said:
    If you're just creating pages from scratch, then I highly recommend Textastic Code Editor.

It's a great editor, but where it really stands out is in the local > remote integration. It has SFTP, FTP, SSH, Files App, DropBox, Google Drive, and WebDAV connectivity. But the really cool thing is once you establish a link between a remote file and a local working copy, uploading to the server, or downloading is a press of a button.

Add to this that you can preview files locally. So, you can quickly flip back and forth between editing and preview, then when ready upload with a single tap.

It has multiple tabs so you can work on several files at once. It even has a terminal emulator, which saves a lot of time for processes that need to be restarted to enact changes. Oh, and it's universal, which has come in very handy a few times when there have been things that had to be addressed when I'm not at home ... such as once when I addressed a major outage caused by someone else ... while standing in line for Splash Mountain at Disneyland. :D (true story)

(P.S. ... that said, I would never try to create web sites solely on the iPad. But it's good for maintenance and simple pages.)

Code Editor (an Editor’s Choice app) has all of these features - local/remote, offline, preview, WebDAV, ssh, universal and then some :smile:
    (formerly known as Coda)
    https://panic.com

Textstatic - https://www.textasticapp.com

• edited January 2020

@simonnowis said:
    Thanks

i've had a number of urls for a while now, and am looking for a creative process i can injoy

not averse to raw coding (i do have a keyboard!), but wysiwyg does appeal :)

Depends what your priority is: learning coding and building a website from scratch, or getting your content online without too much fuss. And if you want an easily scalable platform for adding new functionality (e.g., sell downloads).

Unless you want a job as a web developer, I’d forget the raw coding suggestions and make life easy for yourself. Install Wordpress on your host, find a well supported theme that allows a decent degree of customisation and concentrate on making your content attractive to visitors. Wordpress also has a massive range of free and commercial plugins, so you could, for example, add e-commerce/download functionality easily, and for free.

There’s plenty of creative work to do in setting up the theme, and creating your content and graphics. And for your site to do well in search engine results, and attract return visits, it needs regular updates. Wordpress is a breeze to add content to.

I love using iOS synths in my tracks, but I’m buggered if I’m going to build one from scratch.

Ignore all of the above though if learning to code is your aim.

• edited January 2020

I use WordPress

Buy a decent premium theme and it makes making good websites easy. I get mine from theme forest. I usually use the theme effectively as an app. I don’t use the demos or templates, but use the theme’s layout builder to build pages and set things up from scratch. The best themes give you loads of control over how everything looks. The front end builders are cool on iPad.

I usually use a Mac but I’ve done lots of stuff on my iPad and it works well. I could build a website just on iPad though. I’ve done enough to know it’s possible but I prefer a desktop with big screen.

I couldn’t hand code a CMS so use the one most of the internet uses.

• Wordpress here as well.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

I second the above about Wordpress. Why code when you don’t have to?

If you’re just looking for the wordpress software and have a host or hosting service, then you’re better off with using wordpress.org, not wordpress.com. There are significant differences between the two and it’s wise to read up on and fully understand those differences.

A friend of mine created some pretty good sites in Google Sites. I’ve never used it, but have to say, what she did with absolutely no technical skills is impressive.

• @wim said:
    I second the above about Wordpress. Why code when you don’t have to?

If you’re just looking for the wordpress software and have a host or hosting service, then you’re better off with using wordpress.org, not wordpress.******com**. There are significant differences between the two and it’s wise to read up on and fully understand those differences.

Yep, their prices are very steep. Nearly £520 per year to host an e-commerce site - I charge clients £90, and include premium plugins such as Gravity Forms and WPML.

• If you’re doing a primarily documentation site, the one I use (but not authored entirely on the iPad yet) is Antora ( https://antora.org/ ) which is a static site generator using Asciidoctor source ( https://asciidoctor.org/ ). It can get a bit technical, but it’s far easier than actually coding it yourself in some complicated language or other. Asciidoctor syntax is a lightweight markup (and I’d say it is the best of them, for example, Markdown is another lightweight markup syntax).

• Thanks for all of this :)

My focus is not on wanting to code, it's primarily on the ability to create whilst away from wifi, and to keep the creation content on my ipad

html Egg seems to let me do this using a simple web-builder approach.
    I was going to add one of the editor/ftp apps and go this route.

now , from the recommendations, i'm thinking wordpress .ORG may be the way to go.

i need to do some investigating and reading, but am i correct to believe i will be able to change my pages on the ipad, uploading and updating them when i'm back with wifi?

• edited January 2020

@simonnowis said:

i need to do some investigating and reading, but am i correct to believe i will be able to change my pages on the ipad, uploading and updating them when i'm back with wifi?

Yes very easily - you can login to the Wordpress admin via Safari, and add/edit pages, upload media etc. via a WYSIWYG editor.

The built-in blog is useful too, as you can connect this to social media accounts and drive traffic to your website.

• @simonnowis said:
    Thanks for all of this :)

My focus is not on wanting to code, it's primarily on the ability to create whilst away from wifi, and to keep the creation content on my ipad

html Egg seems to let me do this using a simple web-builder approach.
    I was going to add one of the editor/ftp apps and go this route.

now , from the recommendations, i'm thinking wordpress .ORG may be the way to go.

As you only want to create content, just use the feee Wordpress app