Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Introduced at NAMM 2020 ArtesiaPro's XPad Thin USB Midi Controller for iPad

2»

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@Turntablist said:

@wim said:

@drez said:

@wim said:

@drez said:
    @Turntablist is right I have no idea why nobody released one on a table ready to ship at NAMM. There are so many Bluetooth controllers yet NOBODY has a 4x4. It’s crazy.

Sensel Morph has a 4x4 on the Music Production overlay. I think it adds 8ms latency at this time though.

So maybe the reason companies aren’t doing it is because for “keyboard” parts, that extra 8ms doesn’t matter, but for “drum” parts, the 8ms is too much? Introduces too much slop to the timing?

I think with the morph it is because of the time it takes to process the sensor data. It’s not like pad controllers where it’s a switch. They actually have to calculate the touch area and velocity. There is a high-speed mode that they turn on for the drum overlay (not a grid, but more like an e-drum surface), but not for the grid one (yet). So, the latency I’m talking about is on-top of the BT latency, I think.

A schlep like me will probably never notice, but it would probably drive a real drummer nuts.

Where is it stated that it adds 8ms latency from the Morph ?

In a post on their forum. Actually, it says 8ms "at worst". Also, he mentions high-speed mode at 2ms, but this is only implemented currently on the drummer overlay, not the music production overlay that has the 4x4 grid. I believe it's mentioned in the API documentation as well, based on another post.

Note, this is on-device latency. That's on top of any BT latency.

• Any knowledge about when the XPad will be available?

• It's the portability thing then? I mean, there are other midi controllers with pads and knobs. I have an Akai LPD8 that's perfect. I also have a pair of BT midi connectors.

So, it's the portability thing, is it?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@animalelder said:
    There’s no reason to have usb c for midi data.

Why is that? Usb-C is the newest iteration of usb. It can be usb 2.0 or 3.0 etc. This has nothing to do with speed etc etc. it has to do with cord interchangeability and availability. All modern things (iPads pros, interfaces, chargers, Macbook’s etc) use usb-c so all modern devices released this year should keep pace and stop taking us backwards.

@Shazamm said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    As @Turntablist said, it should be Bluetooth (which I’m sure will come next). And product manufacturers, can we please extinct the use of micro usb connections in favor of usb-c. There’s No reason a 2020 release should have micro usb.

+1

micro usb only, on professional gear just kills me. :s

I dont get what your saying its midi and it will have bluetooth its super thin guys as well cant put 5 pin din midi

First off thanks for your great grind over there giving us info! To clarify, I don’t want 5 pin din. I want midi over Bluetooth and usb-c not micro usb. Micro usb is unofficially extinct and should be treated as such in the design process for products.

The biggest positive point about USB-C for me is that there's a lot less wear and tear on the ports with C. Hands up who plugs in their micro-usb cables first time, every time?