Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk crackling in zenbeats ~ sooooooo strange ~ see details

Ok

Soooooper weird behavior from Beathawk in zenbeats

Channels with instances of Beathawk produce crackling

The rate of the crackling is effected by changing the Zenbeats buffer size however no amount of buffer shifting will eliminate the crackling

Not every sample in Beathawk crackles, it is mostly the keyboard/polyphonic samples as opposed to the one shots, but not exclusively, some of the synth sounds are clean with no crackling

Here’s where it also gets weird

Having any of the effects such as the filters delay or reverb all result in increased crackling- SOME samples/instruments are completely crackle free when you turn off all of the internal fx and leave the lowpass wide open(you can test this by closing the filter a bit and the crackles start pouring in)- but in many instances even with all of the fx turned off there is still crackling (is there any way to completely bypass the internal fx chain in Beathawk?)

ALSO super weird- the crackles are not present when I export a song, only during composing and timeline playback within Zenbeats. @MatthewAtZenbeats , have you or anyone else experienced this sort of selective crackling with certain AUV3s? I made a list in the bug report thread of other plugs with similar issues but the root of these Beathawk issues are even more confusing to me

Does anyone have any clue what could be going on? Beathawk works perfectly (no crackles) in my other hosts

It makes so sense to me as all of the situations that produce the crackling don’t seem to point to a consistent commonality other than perhaps something hidden from user view such as the format certain samples are saved in or if there are some invisible inconsistencies that I would be unaware of as a user

If anyone has any ideas how to better investigate this or potential solutions please let me know!

Thank you so much!

Comments

• @annahahn said:
    Beathawk works perfectly

That is correct!

• I can confirm that AudioLayer also produces the exact same sort of crackling in Zenbeats where it functions perfectly in other hosts

I assume this is because it streams samples from disk rather than loading them into memory the same way that Beathawk does

Does anyone know a potential trick to get zenbeats to play Beathawk or AudioLayer without the crackling?

@MatthewAtZenbeats , is there something about the Zenbeats architecture that does not play well with samplers that stream directly from the disk? These samplers seem to play well in all other DAWs, do you know a work around or whether a fix is possible to make them work in Zenbeats?

• @annahahn said:
    I can confirm that AudioLayer also produces the exact same sort of crackling in Zenbeats where it functions perfectly in other hosts

I assume this is because it streams samples from disk rather than loading them into memory the same way that Beathawk does

Does anyone know a potential trick to get zenbeats to play Beathawk or AudioLayer without the crackling?

@MatthewAtZenbeats , is there something about the Zenbeats architecture that does not play well with samplers that stream directly from the disk? These samplers seem to play well in all other DAWs, do you know a work around or whether a fix is possible to make them work in Zenbeats?

Does Zenbeats still have issues related to sample rate? This really sounds like a zenbeats bug. What sample rate are your samples? What sample rate is your iPad running at?

• @annahahn
    Which Beathawk keys instruments are crackling for you? (I’d like to test, investigate etc)

• @espiegel123 said:

@annahahn said:
    I can confirm that AudioLayer also produces the exact same sort of crackling in Zenbeats where it functions perfectly in other hosts

Does Zenbeats still have issues related to sample rate? This really sounds like a zenbeats bug. What sample rate are your samples? What sample rate is your iPad running at?

Yes lots of issues related to sample rate
    iPhone XS Max 48khz

Definitely a zenbeats bug, doing this with AudioLayer also which pulls samples using a the same streaming from disk technology that Beathawk uses, but other plugs like Barkfilter are also plagued by sample rate issues

• If you have an audio interface, see if running at 44.1Khz improves things. It might be that if ZenBeats has funkiness with regards to sample rate that it might show up when those apps are using sample files that are at 44.1 kHz while the hardware is running at 48 kHz.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @annahahn
    Which Beathawk keys instruments are crackling for you? (I’d like to test, investigate etc)

In the default patch Bel Analog Marimba and Bas Termanatorynx -but to be honest it happens with many or the key instruments and some of the one shots in many of the patches

• @espiegel123 said:
    If you have an audio interface, see if running at 44.1Khz improves things. It might be that if ZenBeats has funkiness with regards to sample rate that it might show up when those apps are using sample files that are at 44.1 kHz while the hardware is running at 48 kHz.

Hmmmm interesting point...wonder why it works in other hosts...

Any way to force my phone to run at 44.1khz? I don’t have an audio interface

• @annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:
    If you have an audio interface, see if running at 44.1Khz improves things. It might be that if ZenBeats has funkiness with regards to sample rate that it might show up when those apps are using sample files that are at 44.1 kHz while the hardware is running at 48 kHz.

Other hosts may deal with sample rates correctly

• @espiegel123 said:

@annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

Unfortunately zenbeats is the only thing that works for my workflow as I am on iPhone

• @espiegel123 said:

@annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 do you have Cubasis 3?

• @annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

@annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

No

• @annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

@annahahn said:

@espiegel123 said:

If you aren’t recording audio tracks, have you tried NanoStudio 2? It is also on iPhone.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

No AU FX automation is probably the biggest showstopper in NS2 for @annahahn, if I remember the use-cases correctly.

• @espiegel123 @wim
    Yeah unfortunately I need to be able to record audio and work with time stretched audio loops and midi learn on Auv3 parameters

I’d really like to give Cubasis 3 a go but assuming the bug reports I’ve seen are accurate it seems like there are so many crippling bugs in the current version I would be instantly frustrated for having spent $50

If there’s anything else I should consider or if anyone has insight into how we Cubasis 3 is functioning plsssss let me know

Thank you!!