Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which Vocoder these days?

I would like a vocoder to add to my Apps Library, something simple and just fun to creatively play with, maybe in AUM/AB3 or a DAW.

BTW I see iVoxel and Jussi are on sale now, but it seems also interesting VoxSyn Pro (Auv3 too).

Some user could give me a short hint on the main practical differences between these (or other not too expensive ones) and which could be the best one to have?

Thanks all and best wishes for Holidays

Comments

• There’s also Matrix Vocoder from Virsyn which is AUv3

• Also VoiceSynth https://apps.apple.com/us/app/voice-synth/id490511069 I still like it and it is auv3

• I haven't got VoxSyn Pro (yet, I guess), or Jussi, but here's what I think of the ones I have - iVoxel, Matrix and DerVoco. I've mostly used it to make synthesized speech into singing.

Personally, for that, I've had best success with iVoxel. It can sound very good and it has some cool features when used standalone. However it isn't AU, and that matters a bit if you want to have more than one voice going. Aside from playing around with it, I haven't really used the standalone sequencer and stuff. But it allows you to play samples ('voxels') on a keyboard, 'holding' the sample on a point in the phrase; and this can be sequenced. Pretty fun to play around with. Internal synth is fine; I tried using an external carrier once but it didn't feel necessary. Crossing fingers for an AU version of this.

Matrix sounds very good too; but more robotic than iVoxel - more vocodery. It's AU so you can several voices. The internal synth is pretty good, but the controls are really confusing. The presets are useful however. To use an external carrier you need to pan this right and the voice left. The internal synth is good for robotic singing though.

DerVoco sounds less "natural" than the others when used on voices; less like singing and more like an effect which you may want to mix not 100% wet. Very vocodery. Same with the left/right for using external carriers; there is a helpful diagram right in the AU. I like using an external carrier for this one instead of the internal synth.

Aside from synthesized singing, and robotizing your voice, you can do stuff like using a drum app to provide the 'voice' and your favourite synth as the carrier; DerVoco has been very good with that sort of thing.

• Voloco is free and does the autotune pretty well. It does have paid subscription but I use the free option well.

• @branis said:
    There’s also Matrix Vocoder from Virsyn which is AUv3

This one is great. I really dig this one.

• edited December 2019

@JudasZimmerman said:
    I haven't got VoxSyn Pro (yet, I guess), or Jussi, but here's what I think of the ones I have - iVoxel, Matrix and DerVoco. I've mostly used it to make synthesized speech into singing.

Some examples from my last project with this:

Original synth speech: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej1i894fpi3q7j0/Rabotayemkolkhoze.wav?dl=0

Ivoxel: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjuwcnchpymgogk/Ivoxel-trimmed.wav?dl=0
    DerVoco with Ripplemaker carrier: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljeyabuft1jp4p2/Dervoco-trimmed.wav?dl=0
    DerVoco, internal synth: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuh2h4ka4tuug0r/Dervoco2-trimmed.wav?dl=0
    Matrix, internal synth: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdialvjxtb8pnzf/Matrix-trimmed.wav?dl=0

And this is DerVoco with troublemaker as carrier and Ruismaker FM as 'voice':
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f111pb56gluspg2/Troubledervoco.m4a?dl=0

• edited December 2019

Don’t forget about the simple and powerful iDS-10 voice synth, the complex and amazing PPG Phonem and the almighty Nave.

All top quality if you want text to speak.

• Which vocoder?

...all of them.

Never enough Vocoding tools.

• Wow!!! Cannot think about all these Vocoder you all pointed me at....GREAT stuff, really.
    Thanks all you for your suggestions, very appreciated, like the wonderful samples some of you linked.

And as usual, great people as always in this wonderful Forum.

I will delve deeper in all of them, at first DerVoco seems pretty interesting, and the free Voloco will take a shot too.

Happy Holidays to all

• @JudasZimmerman Nice comparison - but could you fix the link for Matrix ? Its currently the same as the Dervoco2. I have DerVoco, iVoxel and Voice Synth, so i didn’t buy Matrix Vocoder.

• edited December 2019

@_ki said:
    @JudasZimmerman Nice comparison - but could you fix the link for Matrix ? Its currently the same as the Dervoco2. I have DerVoco, iVoxel and Voice Synth, so i didn’t buy Matrix Vocoder.

Oops. Fixed comment above; matrix is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdialvjxtb8pnzf/Matrix-trimmed.wav?dl=0

(That's pretty much the 'Roboter' preset)

• @JudasZimmerman said:

@_ki said:
    @JudasZimmerman Nice comparison - but could you fix the link for Matrix ? Its currently the same as the Dervoco2. I have DerVoco, iVoxel and Voice Synth, so i didn’t buy Matrix Vocoder.

Oops. Fixed comment above; matrix is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdialvjxtb8pnzf/Matrix-trimmed.wav?dl=0

(That's pretty much the 'Roboter' preset)

Your demo samples were very interesting, from these and other points I bought Matrix: it’s really powerful and fun to use. Maybe I will go with others too, then.
    Thanks so much

• Using left and right as carrier and voice, I was able to get voloco/dervoco working in seconds. Still can't get matrix working. Is there a trick? There's a preset for the setup, but words aren't even close to comprehensible. Easily comprehensible in other vocoders...

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Using left and right as carrier and voice, I was able to get voloco/dervoco working in seconds. Still can't get matrix working. Is there a trick? There's a preset for the setup, but words aren't even close to comprehensible. Easily comprehensible in other vocoders...

No, it's the same as for DerVoco, except that you have to switch hands - DerVoco wants the voice to the right, but Matrix wants it to the left.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I miss Vio.

Thanks for the tip! My vintage iPad's getting back a surprising amount of uses these days 😋

• @Sinthemau said:
    I would like a vocoder to add to my Apps Library, something simple and just fun to creatively play with, maybe in AUM/AB3 or a DAW.

BTW I see iVoxel and Jussi are on sale now, but it seems also interesting VoxSyn Pro (Auv3 too).

Some user could give me a short hint on the main practical differences between these (or other not too expensive ones) and which could be the best one to have?

Thanks all and best wishes for Holidays

What about VoiceBot? Interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it's really good.

• Qneo Voice Synth

• I had used Voxsyn in the past. There is also Voxsyn Pro that can be used as AUv3, but no experience with that one.

• +1, also a good one

@mojozart said:
    Qneo Voice Synth

• Why is Vox sin pro and mine is not pro, ha I never noticed that. Wonder what differences? I like matrix vocoder.

• edited July 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @oceansinspace said:
    Why is Vox sin pro and mine is not pro, ha I never noticed that. Wonder what differences? I like matrix vocoder.

Voxsyn Pro has AUv3, Voxsyn is IAA.

• @Identor said:

@oceansinspace said:
    Why is Vox sin pro and mine is not pro, ha I never noticed that. Wonder what differences? I like matrix vocoder.

Voxsyn Pro has AUv3, Voxsyn is IAA.

Per @VirSyn in another thread. Here are some other differences: "Besides AU and MIDI controlled AU there is a bit more control over the underlying TERA sound preset, e.g. envelope times and overall brightness for better fit to vocal source. And you can mix original voice / vocoded sound and synthesizer sound freely. You can for example "play" the synthesizer with the pitch of your voice without using the vocoder part at all."

• @jakob_haq: Should’ve asked her first! - Next episode of haQ attaQ coming soon! Had to ask for help with some stuff I need done for the video. 😅

staytuned #haQattaQ #JakobhaQ #illustration #baddrawing

Looks like Jakob will have a video about vocoders any day now.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I miss Vio.

That’s two of us.

• ...or just patch one together in Drambo if you want it more flexible.

• @rs2000 said:
    ...or just patch one together in Drambo if you want it more flexible.

Nice! I downloaded a vocoder patch but couldn't get it to recognize my guitar as the carrier. Does your do that or does it only work on the embedded keyboard/synth sounds?