Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DAW-MAC: Cheapest.

I would love to grab the whole Ableton suite but .....just can't spend that kind of money at moment.

What other options have you or do you use?

I am looking to use it like Ableton really, so a poor man's Ableton?

I remember some new things in the last year I saw but can't recall.

Appreciate ideas or any way you can help.

TGIF

-R

Comments

• edited December 2019

Ableton Live lite/Intro

Reaper

Garageband

Logic Pro X

Ipad + Ableton Lite/Intro is an amazing and cheap combination.

• I too would like to try Ableton but I'm not able (hehe) to spend the dough.
    For now it's ModStep on iPad.

I have Reason on Mac and I really love it. Need to dig in more and work with Blocks. But that is not a trigger thang.

• On Mac, except Garageband, Reaper (60 days complete try and 60$ if you decide to buy it) and Ableton lite (I got it for free with Patterning) are very good. Reason lite works very well too (got it for free with a Novation account).

• I think FL Studio has something like abletons clip launcher.

• If you didnt realize, you can buy a license "second hand" so to speak on KVR forums or the ableton forums themselves. You can routinely find Live Suite for 380-400 dollars, which is a huge chunk off retail. You can also buy Bitwig Studio, made by former Ableton programmers for 200 dollars or less.

Just be absolutely sure to only pay via Paypal, and to send it as goods and services, NOT friends and family, that way you are completely protected against any funny business.

• edited December 2019

@RUST( i )K said:
    I would love to grab the whole Ableton suite but .....just can't spend that kind of money at moment.

What other options have you or do you use?

I am looking to use it like Ableton really, so a poor man's Ableton?

I remember some new things in the last year I saw but can't recall.

Appreciate ideas or any way you can help.

TGIF

-R

Could you be a little more specific please?
    Is it just about owning it or do you want to accomplish certain things?
    There's no such thing as Ableton Suite except Bitwig as a somewhat different alternative maybe...

Edit: Oh, a "poor man's Ableton" is Ableton Lite and BM3 to some extent.

• +1 for Reaper, I use Abelton but I am a big fan of Reaper and what that development team is doing. They just came out with an update that looks pretty great, also I know a few years back they had some sort of clip launching utility. I believe it was in Beta at the time so not sure where it stands now.

• edited December 2019

Just watched a couple videos and it looks like the concensus is that Ableton Standard is the one to get. Unless you need all the extra instruments and effects that the top tier Suite offers.

If one was to try and integrate Ableton and Reason would this be a ReWire thing? Or would it be more like render audio files out of Reason and drop them in Ableton? Thanks.

• Reaper is great. There’s a plugin called Playtime that’s only for Reaper as well for I think $20 or $30 that gives you a clip launcher for audio and midi for that Ableton like workflow as well

• @kinkujin said:
    Just watched a couple videos and it looks like the concensus is that Ableton Standard is the one to get. Unless you need all the extra instruments and effects that the top tier Suite offers.

If one was to try and integrate Ableton and Reason would this be a ReWire thing? Or would it be more like render audio files out of Reason and drop them in Ableton? Thanks.

Rewire unless you updated to the newest reason which allows you use it as a VST. They did however remove rewire with this version.

• Suite is worth having for Max for Live.

• Tracktion 7. Full daw for free

• reaper is free really and does everything other DAW's can do, I must say I don't find it easy to use so i stick to Ableton and I trying bitwig also but many people love reaper.

• @SanMateo said:

@kinkujin said:

Rewire unless you updated to the newest reason which allows you use it as a VST. They did however remove rewire with this version.

Hey thanks. I'm talking version 10.4. I won't upgrade to 11, at least for now.

• Speaking of Reaper, CDM review of 6 came out yesterday.

https://cdm.link/2019/12/reaper-6-daw/

• @Sebna5 said:
    Tracktion 7. Full daw for free

Good point, Great DAW!

• @kinkujin said:

@SanMateo said:

@kinkujin said:

Hey thanks. I'm talking version 10.4. I won't upgrade to 11, at least for now.

You're welcome.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    reaper is free really and does everything other DAW's can do, I must say I don't find it easy to use so i stick to Ableton and I trying bitwig also but many people love reaper.

Reaper isn't free. Easy to perpetually use while never paying for it ≠ free.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    Reaper is great. There’s a plugin called Playtime that’s only for Reaper as well for I think $20 or $30 that gives you a clip launcher for audio and midi for that Ableton like workflow as well

That thing is cool. I'd never even heard of it. I love Reaper but to be fair, a clip launcher isn't really an AL replacement. Well, not since Live 2.0 anyway. :)

• There - I did it. Got approval from the missus to look for cheap copy of Ableton and purchased 9 Standard. I'm very psyched and ready to dig in. No more waiting for ModStep to be updated. hehe

Really, ModStep was the impetus for me to go in this direction so I'm pretty thankful to the devs for that. Yay!

• What about zenbeats? I hear it’s similar to ableton on iOS seems fitting that it would be for desktop too...and your projects might be able to transfer back and forth (vsts aside).

(Disclaimer: I’m not a ZenBeats desktop user)

• https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225041

This is a nice customization of reaper.

New version looks nice!

• Tracktion's worth a look ... bit eccentric and clunky but it works ... quite well actually. I've heard good things about their current paid release Waveform too.

But I'd use all those imaginary savings from having a free DAW to save up for Presonus Studio 4 ... very nice DAW for those with cash.

• I’m about to dip into Usine Hollyhock. Its not the cheapest at 99, but there’s a ton of fun to be had, and a new version is imminent - nice discord channel to talk direct with dev too, very actively developing.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    What about zenbeats? I hear it’s similar to ableton on iOS seems fitting that it would be for desktop too...and your projects might be able to transfer back and forth (vsts aside).

(Disclaimer: I’m not a ZenBeats desktop user)

Zenbeats on iPad with MIDI Out to Logic Pro X gives you the Ableton Clip/Scene mode for free (via Zenbeats) plus LPX’s excellent stock synths/effects. This means you can build the clips on Zenbeats with your iPad and then play them using the ES1/Ultrabeat/Alchemy. Then you can record the MIDI/audio directly into LPX’s timeline view.

It’s my favorite workflow I’ve discovered for EDM so far.