Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Another headphones thread. Sorry 🙏

Hi

Looking for recommendations for new pair of phones...

I'm after over ear, closed back, corded. Up to about £$€150

So far shortlisted:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm
AKG K275
AKG K371

Main use you be direct out from iPad but would also want to use them from a phone, DAP and mixer.

I want them to be quite neutral sounding for mixing and mastering.

I guess they'd need to be low impedance to be driven by ipad/pho etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I strongly recommend the Toneboosters Morphit app whichever headphone you decide on.

From your list I own the DT770 Pro and with the Morphit app I can make them sound more or less identical to my Focal Spirit Pros, basically the app corrects the tonal imbalances of the cans to make them far more neutral sounding.

The DT770s have got amazing bass extension, and they're enjoyable for listening to all kinds of music, especially electronic music. And with the Morphit plugin they make great cans for mixing.

• edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No problems driving the DT770 80 ohms here without an amp, you can get reasonable volume from the iPad headphone jack.

• @richardyot said:
    I strongly recommend the Toneboosters Morphit app whichever headphone you decide on.

From your list I own the DT770 Pro and with the Morphit app I can make them sound more or less identical to my Focal Spirit Pros, basically the app corrects the tonal imbalances of the cans to make them far more neutral sounding.

The DT770s have got amazing bass extension, and they're enjoyable for listening to all kinds of music, especially electronic music. And with the Morphit plugin they make great cans for mixing.

Do you have to have that app on whenever you’re listening to anything in order to make the changes work?

• edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is all very helpful. Thank you all.

Edging towards the DT770 Pros but still can't make up my mind whether 80 ohms version would be loud enough. One persons too quiet is another persons plenty loud enough.

• edited November 2019

@FPC Yes brought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms a few weeks back and well pleased with them great neutral balance. They seem loud enough for me on iPad and on my desktop.

You can always a a limiter into the mix.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@richardyot said:
    I strongly recommend the Toneboosters Morphit app whichever headphone you decide on.

Do you have to have that app on whenever you’re listening to anything in order to make the changes work?

Yes, typically you put it on the Master Bus for mixing, then remove it at mixdown time.

Obviously this means you can only use it in a host, and not system-wide. On Android I believe you can use it at the system level, but that's unlikely to ever be possible on iOS.

• @FPC said:
    This is all very helpful. Thank you all.

Edging towards the DT770 Pros but still can't make up my mind whether 80 ohms version would be loud enough. One persons too quiet is another persons plenty loud enough.

There are some people who actually use 600ohm headphones straight out of the iPad headphone jack - that's too quiet for me though. FWIW you can comfortably drive the 80ohm DT770s, although it's likely the volume will be set quite high. I'll see if I can make a relative comparison of volume levels comparing them to my 32ohm HD25s later today.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hmmm maybe I'm a bit deaf/play it too loud but even my 52 ohm Sennheiser HD414s are too quiet on my iPad and way too quiet on my android phone and DAP.

Maybe I'll just go for the 32 ohm DT770s....

• Black Friday deal swung it in the end! Ordered some Audio-Technica ATH-M50Xs in gun metal (Grey plastic!)
    £85.00 from Amazon UK. They should be here today so will test 'em out and post later in case anyone's interested.

• I have the AT M50X
    And I really like them. Great sound and I can wear them although I am a glasses 👓 dude. Some of the headphones will cause pressure (I would say after an hour i feel I have headphones on :))

• Yep they've arrived and I'm very happy. Great, weighty sound. Easily loud enough for mobile devices, reasonably conformable and fine with my glasses too. Quality seems great too.

• edited April 2020

@FPC said:
    Hi

Looking for recommendations for new pair of phones...

I'm after over ear, closed back, corded. Up to about £$€150

So far shortlisted:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
    beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm
    AKG K275
    AKG K371

Main use you be direct out from iPad but would also want to use them from a phone, DAP and mixer.

I want them to be quite neutral sounding for mixing and mastering.

I guess they'd need to be low impedance to be driven by ipad/pho etc.

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same situation here. Looking for some decent and comfortable cans for mixing/monitoring AUM channels. Same budget. I read some positive reviews for the K371 ones.

Any feedback in general will be highly appreciated.

• Never tried the K371 or K275, but love the DT770 32ohms with velour pads, the ATH-M50s sound good but the cups were too small and the pleather flakes, was really impressed with the K92s for $50. AKGs are usually the lightest, with the biggest cups, and usually have the least bass. HD 280 Pros are worth a look but they're heavy and tight. I'm wearing glasses now so use earbuds.

• Another vote for DT770 over the ATH-M50

I went for the 32ohm model too (about a year ago now) because I had concerns the iPad wouldn't comfortably drive the 80ohm model adequately.

No regrets

• Akg 240 mk2 very good semi open cans, light as a feather, good sound stage and reasonably flat, great price!

• I bought the AKG K275s last year. I really liked it.
    I'm enjoying it with beyerdynamic DT 880s and AKG K240 studios ;)