Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

advice

Might buy an instument soon. Was thinking maybe a Soma Lyra but theres estoric synth in auv3 although not identical.

Then theres octatrack mk1, digitakt, digitone and opz but being cheap. Meaning these will make some apps redundent. Maybe opz might be best for beats instead of volca drum and sequencing ios, along with estoric synth but as I say, there might be apps made redundent. Not the best philosophy though if it did end up making better tracks or choosing and expensive purchase for the sake of not using some apps.

With the Lyra though there would be lyra, volca modular, volca drum, a synth on air 61 key, keys/sounds which are switchable synths on nanokey studio with knobs, trigger pads also, volumes/effects/plus audio launch and app switching buttons on nano kontrol and the ipad can be used touchscreen with tc performer etc, with any apps in the background. All in all, loads of stuff but might be difficult and actually more ambient based used in a live scenario but could also sample lyra sounds. Lyra needs tuning, coins to hold a voice or hold across 4 voice.

An Octatrack could maybe remix audio as well as other stuff.

Digitakt might be similar to Gr-16.

What would you buy with this setup or not buy at all as IOS and hardware is already pretty vast. Then theres a Namm show soon.

Comments

• I added wood shelf to a glass tv stand. It basically allows the ipad to be an inch closer, which stops moving forward to screen as much. The nanokey etc can sort of overlap the 61 key a bit. The nanokey etc usually rests on slats, so that the ipad stand can go under slats a bit. Without the wooden shelf the nanokey etc had to be behind korg 61 key. Theres space for a lyra ( Black or White ? ) and the modular will need its own stand.

• Moog One.

More seriously, you already have a very comprehensive and capable setup. What kind of music do you want to create?

• Not sure really. I guess maybe to not sequence, yet can sequence using an ios system. Do like lyra sound but might have more with an octatrack sort of remixing. Know what you mean though. Already is a decent set up. Its just the Lyra can use all good ios effects now also.

• What would be better if I bought a Lyra. Black or White? Everything is black but a white wouldnt look shabby.

• @sigma79 said:
    Not sure really. I guess maybe to not sequence, yet can sequence using an ios system. Do like lyra sound but might have more with an octatrack sort of remixing. Know what you mean though. Already is a decent set up. Its just the Lyra can use all good ios effects now also.

The Soma Lyra does look tasty. I can absolutely understand wanting to have something with hands-on control. Have you looked at one of the Dreadbox synths?

• Forgot to say. The modular would have to be mono input to u44, whereas I believe its stereo. Iv set it up stereo anyway with a dual cable. How would a mono cable affect volca modular. Think Iv read it might add noise and its noiseless at the mo. This way a mono instrument like a Lyra can be added.

• lol. Also use ios effects on modular and not built in reverb. Tb reverb, Tb enhancer, eventide blackhole and ultratap.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@sigma79 said:
    Not sure really. I guess maybe to not sequence, yet can sequence using an ios system. Do like lyra sound but might have more with an octatrack sort of remixing. Know what you mean though. Already is a decent set up. Its just the Lyra can use all good ios effects now also.

The Soma Lyra does look tasty. I can absolutely understand wanting to have something with hands-on control. Have you looked at one of the Dreadbox synths?

Which Dreadbox might be better than Lyra?

Thanks.

• @sigma79 said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@sigma79 said:

Which Dreadbox might be better than Lyra?

Thanks.

I don’t own any of them but the Medusa looks very tempting.
    If you feel really experimental, Ciat Lombarde may also be worth a look:
    https://ciat-lonbarde.net/

• edited November 2019

I think (my opinion)
    Elektron analog heat mkii adds a lot to digital setups

Folks tend to forget, you can only sound as good as your cables, or your mic, or your mic pre, or i/o.
    If it’s “sound” you are after, go for things that matter in actual ‘sound’ you are trying to achieve!

I can’t count the number of artists I have met over the years that had no clue or plan of what they want to sound like, but instead, just buy one thing after another to never achieve this “sound” they want

If it’s gearlust it’s gearlust, just understand nobody is going to make the ‘suicide’ box/synth; meaning nobody in business to sell hardware or software is going to cut their own throat and sell you the holy grail machine. They will slowly take your money over time to make a profit...which in my understanding is the main goal of business.

I will reinforce what I am saying by also stating...
    An mpc60 and a mini moog can make an album or an entire legacy
    At the end of the day it’s the musician that makes music, and I have heard 4 track cassette recordings of the 1980’s that destroy full on multi thousand dollar projects.

Or in layman’s
    A great song is a great song

Do you truly believe that the mass market cares about audio quality when the mp3 is the most widely used format of music? People are spending to much time and money on building the ultimate studio and not making any music. I am willing to wager you could build an incredible album with an iPad/iPhone...free GarageBand, a handful of plug in effects and synths, and a solid pair of headphones (and a subpac if you do bass oriented music)...even just using the mic input of your mobile device...in fact I am sure of it.

• Starting to not want to buy anything. Ciat stuff is cool and Dreadbox has midi, whereas lyra seems quite seperate. The heat was on radar after hearing on volca drum but at the mo seeing if volca drum noise present will be ideal.

Thanks.

• Basically havent completed a track in IOS, maybe as Im also using hardware. Think thats why I wanted to add another instrument. Live mode but probably more minimal. It does offer different sound. Volca modular does sound different than ripplemaker etc.