Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who here is into MODULAR SYNTHESIS?

13»

Comments

• edited November 2019

@Max23 said:
    Yes, but there is little need to recreate the minimoog on a modular system ...
    That’s a waste of time and not a good interface

Actually it is a benefit that you can recreate mainly synths in one system, its quite efficient. Before Behringer it was a very cost effective way to get a moog sound if you wanted an analogue machine.

• @Bennie said:

"How did you get into it?"

• Semi modular (Dreadbox NYX)
    • VCV rack
    • Propellerhead Reason and some other softwares

"What kind of costs were involved?"

• Im around 4000 euro now. This includes mixer and Deluge / NYX and Erebus v3.
    • Bought a second case to get more into sequencers /CV / anything I forgot
    • I've sold some modules now to get some more complex CV. That has set me back somewhat in the development of my idea but it has been useful to get an general idea of how envelopes and LFO work. There are so much modules out there it's mind boggling.

"How is going?"

• It's getting better and better and is a daily joy to use. Takes some practice and al lot of research how something is working in general synth / sound design and modules itself.

"Is it what you intended it to be for your music?"

• Hell YEaH!

I've tried to recreate my DSI Tempest with some improvements I wanted and I got even more.
    With my Deluge added I finally could escape the unclocked / unsynced noise chaos and try song structure. I took me about 9 months to realise how to do it (I didn't understand shit about clock / sync / restart / reset).
    I've tried different DAW / iPad approaches in combination with MIDI modules. I've kept my Mutant Brain and sold my 2 HP MIDI. The Deluge is the brain 🧠 now and i'm off grid with computers.

"Is it worth it at this point in your opinion?"

• Money itself is a source of evil. I don't care a fuck about the cost. I've nearly died 8 years ago on a bacterial infection so I take the max out of every day. I have a good job so I don't really miss the money spend.

"Any recommendations for those interested in getting into modular synths?"

• Obviously MI rack or VCV rack
    • Modular Grid
    • Muff Wiggler
    • Get an idea what you want to make
    • Buy second hand where you can
    • Get a fixed case with PSU so you can focus on modules instead of reinventing the wheel

I have a EPM6 PA soundcraft mixer with a stereo out into my good ol' propellerhead audio interface Balance into iPad / computer. Sometimes I record something but in first order I consider my whole machine as an instrument / sound laboratory.

You have come correct my friend.

• @brambos said:
    The 0-Coast is my go-to remedy against sudden urges to buy into Eurorack. It's just unusual and complex and unconventional enough to offer exploration beyond what other software and hardware brings and modular enough to let me achieve specific things that bubble up in my mind. It's like a miniature west-coast modular setup with just the right amount of modules to do intriguing stuff.

Ha!

You just saved me a couple thousand dollars!

My thoughts as well.

Either O Coast or a Pittsburg desktop unit...thanks!

• 0-Coast is great. Small, light, powerful, headphone out, and quite a handful of integrated functionality for the price. It is my mini modular when I travel light. Also a good combination with a Korg SQ-1 sequencer, Arturia Microbrute, etc.

@auxmux said:
    @Phil999 do you have any videos of your setup? What modules do you have?

no videos yet, but this winter I will probably do some camera tests.

This is my portable skiff, powered by laptop PSU or power bank/solar panel:
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/54244

And this is the home rack with the old Doepfer modules and some newer ones (and the Hinton GearBox):
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/216991

• edited November 2019

Good stuff @Phil999 how do you like the Endorphins modules?

• @Phil999 said:
    0-Coast is great. Small, light, powerful, headphone out, and quite a handful of integrated functionality for the price. It is my mini modular when I travel light. Also a good combination with a Korg SQ-1 sequencer, Arturia Microbrute, etc.

@auxmux said:
    @Phil999 do you have any videos of your setup? What modules do you have?

no videos yet, but this winter I will probably do some camera tests.

This is my portable skiff, powered by laptop PSU or power bank/solar panel:
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/54244

And this is the home rack with the old Doepfer modules and some newer ones (and the Hinton GearBox):
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/216991

Really interesting selection of modules on both rigs. Thanks for sharing

• edited November 2019

@auxmux said:

I like them very much. They are perfect for small skiffs because they implement so much functionality in small space. That's why they are rather expensive, but if you take into account that you'd need two or three modules for the same functionality, they are reasonably priced. And, in my opinion, even better than 2-3 different modules. Less space, less power demand, and probably also cheaper.

Endorphines Shuttle Control is the star among MIDI-CV modules with its 16 freely configurable CV outputs and its USB input as a host. It is also a PSU for 6-7 modules. I don't need extra LFO or envelope modules because I can use SC's outputs for that. LFO frequency can be controlled with MIDI CC. The editor is web-based, you can check all CV output functionality here:
    https://www.endorphin.es/cargo3. It even has audio outputs for noise and 808 sounds. When you have no internet access, there's a Lemur template with all functionality.https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/730/

Endorphines Furtherrr Generator is famous for its organic, natural sound, and is a joy to operate with its two large frequency knobs and its wealth of in- and outputs. But there are a number (not that much) other complex oscillators on the market meanwhile. I have two FG's because I got the second one for very cheap, and couldn't resist. With the newly acquired Tubbutec uTune I can now play duophonic microtonal with one of the best complex oscillators in the world. It's all I need, actually.

Endorphines Terminal (the first analogue version) is a Swiss pocket knive of functions. Two vactrol LPG's that can be switched to normal VCF mode, two absolutely brilliant AD envelopes with seamless log/exp shaping including CV control over both parameters (attack and decay), that can be used not only as envelopes, but also as complex VCLFO's and even VCO's in audio range. The extender module is good to have, but not really necessary. It's just for direct access to functions that can be accessed on the back of the module with jumpers, and some more mixing functions. The two VCO tuning circuits of the extender I don't use I must admit, I don't even know how they work.

• @Phil999 said:

@auxmux said:

I like them very much. They are perfect for small skiffs because they implement so much functionality in small space. That's why they are rather expensive, but if you take into account that you'd need two or three modules for the same functionality, they are reasonably priced. And, in my opinion, even better than 2-3 different modules. Less space, less power demand, and probably also cheaper.

Endorphines Shuttle Control is the star among MIDI-CV modules with its 16 freely configurable CV outputs and its USB input as a host. It is also a PSU for 6-7 modules. I don't need extra LFO or envelope modules because I can use SC's outputs for that. LFO frequency can be controlled with MIDI CC. The editor is web-based, you can check all CV output functionality here:
    https://www.endorphin.es/cargo3. It even has audio outputs for noise and 808 sounds. When you have no internet access, there's a Lemur template with all functionality.https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/730/

Endorphines Furtherrr Generator is famous for its organic, natural sound, and is a joy to operate with its two large frequency knobs and its wealth of in- and outputs. But there are a number (not that much) other complex oscillators on the market meanwhile. I have two FG's because I got the second one for very cheap, and couldn't resist. With the newly acquired Tubbutec uTune I can now play duophonic microtonal with one of the best complex oscillators in the world. It's all I need, actually.

Endorphines Terminal (the first analogue version) is a Swiss pocket knive of functions. Two vactrol LPG's that can be switched to normal VCF mode, two absolutely brilliant AD envelopes with seamless log/exp shaping including CV control over both parameters (attack and decay), that can be used not only as envelopes, but also as complex VCLFO's and even VCO's in audio range. The extender module is good to have, but not really necessary. It's just for direct access to functions that can be accessed on the back of the module with jumpers, and some more mixing functions. The two VCO tuning circuits of the extender I don't use I must admit, I don't even know how they work.

Stuff is so interesting.

• Thanks so much @Phil999 for explaining in detail. I knew I wanted an Endorphins system but you may have convinced me completely! Hmm, this or Make Noise Tape and Sound system.... 💸

• I am trying to get into Modular because it is where all the sounds in my head are kept. Every single tutorial starts with "....and lo, the universe was born. From this very first sound wave we can see that..."

I'm really not bothered. I get it, understanding the theory helps with the practice but how do you practice when the theory takes years to explain? Tell me how to make a simple patch and untangle it with me. Link to the theory if you like but please, just let me make noise. Pun intended.

Anyone know of any modular tutorials like that please?