Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is new 10.2 iPad stuck at 48 kHz?

edited November 2019 in General App Discussion

Any 10.2 iPad 2019 users here? Is it stuck at 48 kHz on headphones and lightning to jack dongle like Pros 2018 and A12 devices? My A10 7 Plus is not so I suppose 10.2 iPad is like 2018 iPad and doesn’t have the issue too, but need confirmation.

Comments

• I wouldn't think so ...because Garageband is fixed at 44.1 kHz. So it would seem the option is there. Not a 10.2 user tho

• edited November 2019

@Janosax said:
    Any 10.2 iPad 2019 users here? Is it stuck at 48 kHz on headphones and lightning to jack dongle like Pros 2018 and A12 devices? My A10 7 Plus is not so I suppose 10.2 iPad is like 2018 iPad and doesn’t have the issue too, but need confirmation.

The 2019 iPad Air 3 has similar issues.

I can’t change the sample rate from 48k to 44.1k in AUM or Audiobus 3 even without headphones attached. I have been able to connect a USB audio interface and record at 44.1k. I can use AudioShare to convert files from 44.1k to a 48k sample rate to maintain compatibility.

• If you have nanostudio 2, it's fastest way to check what sample rate is device actually using - in "settings" at right side you see sample rate - this number is dynamically changing when device changes sample rate .. for example on iPad MINI 5 i see there 48khz with headphones unplugged, but when i connect apple earbuds, it immediately switches to 44khz ...

• I thought of upgrading my iPad as soon as Korg fixes nanokey studio’s Bluetooth connectivity on iOS 13. I was almost set to go for the new Air, but now, I’m not sure.

I use an audio interface when I record, but otherwise, most of the time, I simply connect my headphones to the 3.5mm output on my iPad because it’s more convenient.

All audio projects that I have are recorded at 44.1kHz, how will they play back if the sample rate is fixed at 48kHz?

• edited November 2019

@branis said:
    All audio projects that I have are recorded at 44.1kHz, how will they play back if the sample rate is fixed at 48kHz?

this is usually handled by DAW, if it needs it resamples internally recorded audio to match realtime or mixdown sample rate

• edited November 2019

Thanks for all answers. I have not got this iPad yet. I make all my music on my 7 Plus since a few years, it’s really stable with no issues on iOS 12.3.1. I bought an Air 3 for my daughter for her graphic school, she uses Procreate and Affinity Designer and she’s really happy with it. I couldn’t resist making some quick tests with some music apps, and the bigger screen and split screen is pretty cool, especially with something like AB/AUM and GTL, and even for playing keyboard like MF keyboard with big keys. What I noticed however is this issue with Air 3 being blocked at 48 kHz. All my projects uses 44.1 kHz on the iPhone, because I use a lot of real-time audio monitoring at 128 buffers latency and often 44.1 is most stable and crackle free option. So knowing that and because iOS audio apps use single core thread, I look at new iPad 2019 with its capable A10 Fusion and 3Gb Ram (like my 7 Plus). But as it’s hard to test 44.1/48 thing in Apple Store, I need confirmation. The other option being a refurb 10.5 iPad Pro. I need also to mention that I don’t want to use my external audio interface all the time, only for audio recording, as I want to keep mobility and immediacy without extra devices and wires even at home.

• @Janosax : I think if 44.1k compatibility is important , you might want to invest in a small interface that supports it (and which is configurable on your iDevice). Based on what people have posted, it is still very hit-and-miss how well hosts deal with a hardware sample rate different from the sample rate of project files.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Janosax : I think if 44.1k compatibility is important , you might want to invest in a small interface that supports it (and which is configurable on your iDevice). Based on what people have posted, it is still very hit-and-miss how well hosts deal with a hardware sample rate different from the sample rate of project files.

Of course, and I already have an iRig Pro IO for that purpose. But really I like to just take my iDevice with some Earpods and produce without additional gear, and use the iRig only for audio recordings. I don’t really enjoy making music on my laptop just because I need an additional mouse for precision and often a charger. That sample rate restriction on recent iPads and iPhones is silly.

• One portable solution would be a Dragonfly Black going into the original CCK, doesn't take up much space (but is obviously an additional expense).

• @richardyot said:
    One portable solution would be a Dragonfly Black going into the original CCK, doesn't take up much space (but is obviously an additional expense).

Thanks for this info, seems to be a good solution.

• FWIW any time there's SRC going on in iOS the the OS seems to handle it quite well on it's own. Apple has a really good SRC, and at least for my own portable music making I'm fine letting the OS handle this. I tend to be a bit of an audio quality snob myself, so I wouldn't let it be something that holds you back from upgrading your iPad.

As others have mentioned, if you NEED 44.1kHz sample rates for a specific reason, then likely you're using a soundcard or headphone DAC like the Dragonfly stuff (I use the Red version).

• Aside from the encumbrance of having to carry around a sound card of some sort, being locked in 48 kHz is causing syncing issues with some apps such as DM1 and Elastic Drums. (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26531/help-sync-issues-aum-dm1-patterning#latest). I believe these apps are expecting 44.1kHz and it’s causing their clocks to go wonky.

Given the how common 44.1 kHz is, it seems like a reasonable feature to have. Is this and AUM

• edited November 2019

I’ve just tested Air 3/iPadOS with headphones on iPad jack and even triggering a single Noir in Audiobus with Nanokey Studio leads to random audio crackles at 128 buffers 48 kHz and continuous crackles at 64 buffers. When connecting iRig Pro IO, that’s 100 % crackle free rock solid at 64 buffers at 44.1 and 48 kHz, and 128 buffers at 96 kHz. So that’s interesting and certainly an audio interface is needed with those A12 iPads regardless of sample rate used. The 🦋 seems to be a good solution for compact setup when no audio recording is needed. I need to mention that there is no performance difference regarding latency/crackles with iPhone 7 Plus/iOS 12.3.1 when using lightning to jack adapter vs iRig Pro IO.

BTW, I’ve paired Nanokey Studio to Air 3 12.3.1, did the upgrade to latest iPadOS and I’m still able to connect NKS.

• @Janosax said:
    I’ve just tested Air 3/iPadOS with headphones on iPad jack and even triggering a single Noir in Audiobus with Nanokey Studio leads to random audio crackles at 128 buffers 48 kHz and continuous crackles at 64 buffers. When connecting iRig Pro IO, that’s 100 % crackle free rock solid at 64 buffers at 44.1 and 48 kHz, and 128 buffers at 96 kHz. So that’s interesting and certainly an audio interface is needed with those A12 iPads. The 🦋 seems to be a good solution for compact setup when no audio recording is needed. I need to mention that there is no performance difference regarding latency/crackles with iPhone 7 Plus/iOS 12.3.1 when using lightning to jack adapter vs iRig Pro IO.

BTW, I’ve paired Nanokey Studio to Air 3 12.3.1, did the upgrade to latest iPadOS and I’m still able to connect NKS.

Just don’t lose the pairing. You won’t be able to get it back.

• edited November 2019

@wim said:
    Just don’t lose the pairing. You won’t be able to get it back.

For sure, that’s a fragile connexion. I love that NKS, hope it will be fixed but that’s another topic.