Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumStudio....paste midi?

A great app, just wondering though if any users have ever managed to use the PASTE midi export feature from DS to somewhere else. Do ANY apps apart from DS accept midi to be pasted from the clipboard?

Comments

• I think Audioshare will copy and paste midi to and from the clipboard but that's not what you're asking. It seems to me I came across an app that will let you paste midi but I can't remember which one it is right now.

Have you tried it in any apps just to see?

• @yowza said:

I think Audioshare will copy and paste midi to and from the clipboard

I sure wish someone would show me how to do this. When I try to use Audioshare to copy a midi file into DS it just says it copied to the audio paste board, and then of course in DS it says "can't import audio from clipboard". I love DS and would love to find more midi patterns to use with it...if I could ever figure out how to use it in the first place. Seems like all the sites that used to allow you to highlight and copy drum patters are blocking copy and paste on my ipad these days too.

• edited February 2014

I have imported many MIDI files from Dropbox into Drum Studio with "Open In" so try that, it works really well.

After I wrote my initial reply I remembered that I haven't had great luck pasting midi from Audioshare either but I don't know whether that's an issue or bug with Audioshare or the app I'm trying to paste into. I don't think many apps support MIDI paste yet but they should which is what SpookyZoo is asking about. I just tried pasting MIDI into Symphonix Evolution, Cubasis and Genome and it doesn't appear to work. I have used "Open in" successfully with all three in the past and that works great.

• edited February 2014

ok, thanks @yowza. I've given that a try and it doesn't seem to open anything. I'm thinking I should verify these midi files are actually in good shape before i go any further.

Edit: Ah, I actually had some bad midi files I was trying to import. That was the first problem. Got some good ones to import (open in) straight out of dropbox. That was awesome. Anyone have any good advice on where I can get more free midi patterns? Considering the production quality of my work that's still overpaying. ;-)

Thanks.

• Yes I should say that I knew for sure these were good MIDI drum files that I "Opened in" DS. I can see where DS might not know what to do with a MIDI file that has a lot of other instruments besides drums.

• @yowza, yeah, see next update above too. Have any good suggestions?
    Thanks.

• Thanks @funjunkie27 . Nice find there. Much appreciated.

• Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. So yeah, midi paste rather than 'open in' was what I was wondering. DS has had that option for a while but I never successfully used it into any other app before.

However I did just manage to create a file in DS, copy that midi to the pasteboard and then paste into Audioshare, and from there I 'opened it' into Cubasis.

Now this could have been done simply by 'Opening in' the midi from DS straight to Cubasis.

I'm just curious as to the 'midi paste' option in DS and if it has any hidden tricks.

• @SpookyZoo good question, and I'll be watching this space for replies as well. Sorry for hijacking your thread there for a moment. ;-) I'm a big fan of DS.

• BTW...I reinstalled Rollerchimps other app....Robodrum as part of my experiments and had some fun with that. Bought a couple of the style IAPs (£0.69/$0.99) you get 3 styles, each with 3 different beats and fill, and each of those with 10 variations.... so 120 patterns to play with....with all the same export functions as DS. So I was pasting both midi and the text from Robodrum. so @Boone51 if you fancied some drum text it's worth having a play in there. :)

• edited February 2014

No hijack committed ....all good info! :)

• So just saw this video on Dev's sight. Cool installation of his, showing people interacting with music. Thought it was worth a share... http://www.rollerchimp.com/project/wagnerlicht/

• Thanks @funjunkie27 great link

• edited February 2014

Oh yeah... @funjunkie27 Awesome... download and open in Audioshare, it unzips to its own folder and then can open into DrumStudio. Took less 27 secs :)

• Glad it worked for you guys.

• edited February 2014

I've been able to open midi files in Nanostudio, but curiously only if they are "musical notes". It doesn't seem to want to open or render the midi files from DrumStudio or AudioShare if they are drum kits. Anyone else have this experience?

• Reply from Dev...I'm sure he wouldn't mind me quoting....

Hi spooky zoo.

Good question.
    When I was implementing audio paste some time ago, it just made sense that if you can paste text or audio, why not midi? I could imagine creating a great beat in drumstudio and then copy/pasting it to a daw of your choice or to some other kick ass electro drum simulator. The idea was also that you could midi copy a short phrase from robodrummer or similar and paste that into drumstudio as a short song section to build up bigger song structures.

So basically the answer is that it mimics audio/copy paste exactly but never really took off. I could probably remove it as a feature but somehow I still like the symmetry of its existence.

Andrew (Rollerchimp

• @audiovidible so just did a DS to NS test. Sent midi from DS via email. Opened into Nanostudio. When using tools to import midi it puts it on track 10. Either moving or changing to a TRG produces drum sounds from that midi. However all the mapping seems out of place. Moving all up one octave is a start, but it's still off and needs editing.