Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

‪iOS 13 | USB Flash Drives and Card Readers with iPhone | haQ attaQ

So iOS 13 finally lets us use USB Flash Drives and USB Card Readers with our iPhones and iPad. This is something that we’ve wanted for many years and finally it’s here. In this haQ attaQ episode Im testing this new feature by connecting the oldest Thumb drive I have. I even managed to find a really old card reader that can take both micro SDHC cards and older M2 cards.

haQattaQ

Comments

• I'm happy that the Apple Lightning->SD-Card reader works without any issues and I can access all the files on the cards.
    Yepp, I can finally do some nice exports from my Korg Electribe 2 when needed without having to go via the computer.
    And well, I can read files directly from my Zoom H1 as well since it provides it's own power. Just the regular CCK and Zoom H1!

And tomorrow Tuesday when iPadOS13.1 pops up I'll be installing it on my iPad Air 2 :)

• Right now I need with every tested drive an additional power in my CCK.
    And these connections are really slow. Finger crossed for 13.1
    (I would not state „works without any issues“ but I wish it did)

• @Samu said:
    I'm happy that the Apple Lightning->SD-Card reader works without any issues and I can access all the files on the cards.
    Yepp, I can finally do some nice exports from my Korg Electribe 2 when needed without having to go via the computer.
    And well, I can read files directly from my Zoom H1 as well since it provides it's own power. Just the regular CCK and Zoom H1!

And tomorrow Tuesday when iPadOS13.1 pops up I'll be installing it on my iPad Air 2 :)

I’ll be testing out the multitouch thing I had an issue with. Devs tell me it’s been fixed in 13.1.

• @david_2017 said:
    Right now I need with every tested drive an additional power in my CCK.
    And these connections are really slow. Finger crossed for 13.1
    (I would not state „works without any issues“ but I wish it did)

Well, power is needed. Either the lightning to USB3 or a powered hub with CCK. Tested a bunch of stuff without fail so far. However I wish my big “Computer” hard drives would work with this too. Haven’t been able to connect any of the several WD drives I have here.

• Oh, for anyone wondering if the older CCK and powered USB hub would work instead of the Lightning to USB3 adapter >>>

• @jakoB_haQ said:

I’ll be testing out the multitouch thing I had an issue with. Devs tell me it’s been fixed in 13.1.

Goodie, I've so far not bumped into any big show-stoppers regarding that 3 finger thing in those apps I've tried so far.

I've got +450 apps installed so it will take a while, Cubasis, Gadget and BM3 work as expected but I've not tested every single AUv3 yet and will not systematically do so either, if it works fine, if it doesn't wait for an update or delete it...

Korg nanoKey Studio connects nicely to Gadget (On first launch Gadget asks for permission to use BlueTooth).
    (This was one of my initial worries when I heard about problems connecting the nanoKey Studio).

I honestly don't expect any major 'gotchas' this time around.
    Files.app with USB and SMB support was for me reason enough to dive in.
    (I can access all my files form my computers (with file-sharing enabled) and via usb and Zoom H1 with just a usb-cable to the old CCK).

To speed up downloads a bit change the Safari download folder to 'On My iPad' (it's set to iCloud by default).

My iPad Air 2 is still doing it's 'indexing thing' so It's not fully up to speed yet but should be tomorrow morning.

Hope all goes well with your iOS13.1 adventures too ;)
    Cheers!

• @jakoB_haQ Did you tried to plug these HD units with powered hub between them and the cck3?

btw dongles billions of them!!

• i have a new seagate usb3 5tb drive formatted exfat, connected to a powered usb3 hub connected to the cck. i upgraded to ipados 13.1. the files app shows nothing. no errors and no device. So the promise has yet to be fulfilled. Thumb drives work great when plugged into the hub. I have an SD dongle so I can try that too. btw, my iPad Pro is a 2015. So there's no USB-C involved in the setup.

• My USB3 WD Passport 1tb external drive from my desktop worked without a hitch, not slow at all.
    iPad Pro 10.5

@motmeister exFAT isn’t recognized I believe.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    My USB3 WD Passport 1tb external drive from my desktop worked without a hitch, not slow at all.
    iPad Pro 10.5

https://www.cultofmac.com/631124/external-hard-drives-ipados/

The article is from June, so perhaps things changed by the time iPadOS dropped, but it says exfat is supported. I’ll continue looking...

• I reformatted a WD Passport drive from NTFS to exFAT (on my Windows PC) and it's working great now with my iPad Pro 10.5, but only when connected to a powered USB-hub! I tried it also with the (powered) CCK3 but then the drive was constantly connecting and disconnecting (as if there wasn't enough power). So the WD needs a powered hub, but that's ok with me...

• edited September 2019

@Harro said:
    I reformatted a WD Passport drive from NTFS to exFAT (on my Windows PC) and it's working great now with my iPad Pro 10.5, but only when connected to a powered USB-hub! I tried it also with the (powered) CCK3 but then the drive was constantly connecting and disconnecting (as if there wasn't enough power). So the WD needs a powered hub, but that's ok with me...

By all accounts, my setup should be working too, exfat, powered hub, CCK3, but it isn’t.

later update: I reformatted the drive on a MAC to OSX extended and now it's working. I don't know why exfat didn't work. I leave it to someone else's later research to find the answer to that question.

update 2: i formatted the drive to exfat on the MAC instead of the PC and it's working. So there's the question of whether the PC formats exfat correctly. I was able to move the drive back and forth between the windows PC and the iPad with no problem.

Here's the final setup:

Seagate 5TB drive
    formatted to exFat on the MAC
    plugged to a powered USB hub
    USB hub plugged into cck3
    cck3 (with lightning power) plugged into iPad.

• @motmeister said:

@Harro said:
    I reformatted a WD Passport drive from NTFS to exFAT (on my Windows PC) and it's working great now with my iPad Pro 10.5, but only when connected to a powered USB-hub! I tried it also with the (powered) CCK3 but then the drive was constantly connecting and disconnecting (as if there wasn't enough power). So the WD needs a powered hub, but that's ok with me...

By all accounts, my setup should be working too, exfat, powered hub, CCK3, but it isn’t.

Do you have another powered-hub to try? In the past, I have found surprising differences related to the hub being used.

• edited September 2019

@motmeister said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    My USB3 WD Passport 1tb external drive from my desktop worked without a hitch, not slow at all.
    iPad Pro 10.5

The article is from June, so perhaps things changed by the time iPadOS dropped, but it says exfat is supported. I’ll continue looking...

I have an exFat formatted thumb drive that is recognised fine by the phone on iOS13, although I havent tried copy to/from it, but it does list files that are there. Not checked it on the iPad yet.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@motmeister said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    iPad Pro 10.5

I have an exFat formatted thumb drive that is recognised fine by the phone on iOS13, although I havent tried copy to/from it, but it does list files that are there. Not checked it on the iPad yet.

My thumb drives work fine, and so do the SD cards. It's the HD connected to the powered hub that wasn't working.

• I formatted an HD to exFat on the MAC and that was the key apparently. I'm not sure why doing the format on the Windows PC didn't work. :(

• @motmeister said:
    I formatted an HD to exFat on the MAC and that was the key apparently. I'm not sure why doing the format on the Windows PC didn't work. :(

Handy to know, I have an external NTFS drive that I'm going to convert, but only have a windows machine to try it with...I'll let you know if I get the same results....
    Did you do a low level format or a quick format on the Windows machine ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@motmeister said:
    I formatted an HD to exFat on the MAC and that was the key apparently. I'm not sure why doing the format on the Windows PC didn't work. :(

Handy to know, I have an external NTFS drive that I'm going to convert, but only have a windows machine to try it with...I'll let you know if I get the same results....

I did a quick. Possible it needed a deeper format I suppose. I’m fortunate to have an old iMac so that was my first goto.

• edited September 2019

I tried an SD card using the adapter directly, and I didn’t get low power messages. It came up fine. I went ahead and ordered a 128G SD card which will arrive today. There’s no apple SD adapter with lightning power that I know of, so it may drain the iPad. But I’m hoping it works well enough that I don’t have to dear around a hard drive when traveling. I’m liking the updated Files app.

Update:
    SanDisk extreme 128G in an SD card to lightning connector. No additional power. Worked out of the box.

Update 2:
    Copies to/from worked fine. I didn't copy enough to gauge speed. The only problem I ran up against was trying to copy a DropBox folder to the SD card. The folder and progress indicator appeared, but it never seemed to move. The folder being copied wasn't that big, so I don't know if the problem was related to copying a FOLDER, or whether it was one of those DropBox weirdnesses. I copied other things in and out and there were no problems.

• Are there any portable USB3 hubs with a built-in battery?

• @motmeister said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@motmeister said:

I did a quick. Possible it needed a deeper format I suppose. I’m fortunate to have an old iMac so that was my first goto.

I finally managed to get my external HDD recognised by the iPad, using Win 7 I did a low level format of the drive using exFat with an Allocation Unit Size of 128K. The drive is recognised by both windows and the iPad...but only works on the iPad with a powered hub, using the powered CCK the HDD is not detected by the iPad...I’m guessing that because it is a physical HDD that it needs more power for the motors...SSD drives may work with just the powered CCK...anyone tried one ?

• Me too trying to get my head around

Some Sandisk sticks of mine read on IPHONE 8 but not on iPad 10.5 .. crazy says requires too much power

• @Samu said:

Awesome never thought of it

Connected my h5 directly to iPhone 8p

Strangely my iPad Pro 10.5 does not read anything

• @hisdudeness said:

@Samu said:

Could it be that the H5 just as the H1 has two USB modes and you need to select one of them when connected?

• @Samu said:

@hisdudeness said:

@Samu said:

Could it be that the H5 just as the H1 has two USB modes and you need to select one of them when connected?

No just one
    It worked before (iOS 12) as interface . Now both modes don’t work

As a test I connected all my usb drives to iPad (they work on my phone except one)

Looks like my iPad Pro 10.5 does not read anything

Says device needs too much power

Very strange

atleast My iPhone works

• I used to be able to plug in my iPhone directly into my iPad
    using the Apple to lightning adapter to transfer photos.

This seems to be broken now.

• So I can keep track of the conversation. Those of us with WD Passport Pro 1-2TB wifi drives are not going to have problems with direct connect to iPad iOS? The problem solved? Figured out?

My WD Passport Pro has been used with my PC.

@jakoB_haQ I have seen on this thread that other with the same drive you and I have have gotten their’s to work. Have you figured out why your WD won’t? Have you fixed the issue?