Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 / Sector Sync Problem?

@gmslayton’s recent Sector vid got me to Sectoring this past weekend. I just tried putting together an AB3/Loopy/AUM/Sector session, and I am finding that when I press AB3 (or AUMs) transport button that Sector plays a beat and then the audio output stops ... but when I switch to Sector it looks like it is playing.

If I play Sector’s play button it plays fine.

I have Sector set to receive MIDI Clock and IAA run/stop and clock. I’ve tried with and without MIDI clock.

This problem happens even with just AB3 and Sector.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I am running into a bug.

IOS 12.3.1 on an iOad Gen 6

@Michael ?

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:
    @gmslayton’s recent Sector vid got me to Sectoring this past weekend. I just tried putting together an AB3/Loopy/AUM/Sector session, and I am finding that when I press AB3 (or AUMs) transport button that Sector plays a beat and then the audio output stops ... but when I switch to Sector it looks like it is playing.

If I play Sector’s play button it plays fine.

I have Sector set to receive MIDI Clock and IAA run/stop and clock. I’ve tried with and without MIDI clock.

This problem happens even with just AB3 and Sector.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I am running into a bug.

IOS 12.3.1 on an iOad Gen 6

@Michael ?

After a little more experimentation, the problem happens when Sector is set to IAA->Run/Stop and Clock. It works ok if one sets Run/Stop. I am able to send MIDI Clock to Sector from AB3 at the same time.

@j_liljedahl : this looks like a Sector issue.

• edited September 2019

Hi,
    Try to set Sector on MidiClockSync OFF , FollowIAAHost RUN/STOP ONLY

• @Korakios said:
    Hi,

I need sync, though.

It seems like the combination of midi clock receive works with IAA run/stop. I haven't double-checked to confirm that the sync is working but it seems like it does.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Korakios said:
    Hi,

I need sync, though.

It seems like the combination of midi clock receive works with IAA run/stop. I haven't double-checked to confirm that the sync is working but it seems like it does.

It syncs fine via IAA ;) No clock needed :)

• @Korakios said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Korakios said:
    Hi,

I need sync, though.

It syncs fine via IAA ;) No clock needed :)

The run/stop mode as far as I can tell is just that. It starts when the clock is started but does no further sync which would result in drift over time.

Have you left it running without sync and found that it stays in sync over long periods of time?

• edited September 2019

http://preset.audiob.us/Wk6JeMlgJQKHbuy

It does sync , but not via midi , with IAA sync

• @Korakios said:
    http://preset.audiob.us/Wk6JeMlgJQKHbuy

It does sync , but not via midi , with IAA sync

I thought that the difference between run/stop and run/stop/clock was that in run/stop mode, it doesn't pay attention to IAA's clock.

• @Korakios : you are correct. It does sync even if clock isn’t selected in the IAA prefs.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Korakios : you are correct. It does sync even if clock isn’t selected in the IAA prefs.

It’s just the naming confusing. I also expected run/stop&clock to sync properly in IAA since midi clock sync is a different setting and run/stop-only to ignore any sync from host.
    Must be a bug . @j_liljedahl ?

• @Korakios said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Korakios : you are correct. It does sync even if clock isn’t selected in the IAA prefs.

It’s just the naming confusing. I also expected run/stop&clock to sync properly in IAA since midi clock sync is a different setting and run/stop-only to ignore any sync from host.

Run/stop only ignores the IAA clock, but not the start/stop and tempo. It was added only to work around a bug that Cubasis used to have, where the actual time-clock signal was completely broken. It will not sync very well in this mode, and will drift or become offset.

For good IAA sync, put it in Follow host: ON and Run/Stop & Clock, and leave MIDI Clock Sync off.

I've heard a couple of users having an issue where SECTOR starts playing but then stops and makes no audio. I haven't been able to reproduce this bug, unfortunately, but since several users have reported it I'm sure the bug exists.

• ON and Run/Stop & Clock is what causing issues , ON and Run/Stop Only works fine and Sector syncs via IAA tempo . Midi clock is disabled , 100% reproducible that’s why I think it’s a bug .
    In my case audio doesn’t stop but it seems Sector plays smaller sections of the sliced samples

• Some "proof" that it syncs fine here :smile:

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Korakios said:

@espiegel123 said:

Run/stop only ignores the IAA clock, but not the start/stop and tempo. It was added only to work around a bug that Cubasis used to have, where the actual time-clock signal was completely broken. It will not sync very well in this mode, and will drift or become offset.

For good IAA sync, put it in Follow host: ON and Run/Stop & Clock, and leave MIDI Clock Sync off.

I've heard a couple of users having an issue where SECTOR starts playing but then stops and makes no audio. I haven't been able to reproduce this bug, unfortunately, but since several users have reported it I'm sure the bug exists.

This is what happens. With run/stop and clock on, audio comes out of Sector as a short burst when Audiobus play is tapped. And no more sound comes out even though it looks like it is playing when I switch to Sector. I have to turn run/stop/clock off and use run/stop.

I am on iOS 12.3.1 on an
    iPad gen 6 . I can post a video later today and provide an AB preset.

• edited September 2019

I am on iOS 12.3.1 too, iPad 2018.
    I can’t upload a video ,it would take a day to upload :(

• The video above shows the setup and problem. I had to use the mic to capture the audio. For some reason, the audio capture didn't work otherwise.

• Out of curiosity, what happens if you turn off Audiobus App Start/Stop?

• @Michael said:
    Out of curiosity, what happens if you turn off Audiobus App Start/Stop?

The same problem occurs.

• edited October 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

The same problem occurs.

Okay, well at least we can rule that out. Hmm. I too am unable to reproduce this (I just added Sector as newly-installed from the App Store, in the input slot in Audiobus, then hit play in AB).

• @Michael said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

The same problem occurs.

Okay, well at least we can rule that out. Hmm. I too am unable to reproduce this (I just added Sector as newly-installed from the App Store, in the input slot in Audiobus, then hit play in AB).

Strange. I am finding that sending MIDI Clock and not doing IAA or Audiobus Start seems to work. What is weird is that with the Run/Stop/Clock optimism on turned on, the audio is played for the entire first slice but nothing else.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:

The RUN/STOP & CLOCK 'issue' occurs in other hosts too, not just Audiobus 3. AUM for example. I just use RUN/STOP ONLY since it follows the IAA host's tempo just fine, & doesn't produce that 'staccato effect'.

Sadly, run/stop by itself doesn't necessarily stay tightly synced over an extended period (as expected since there isn't any sync).

• @StudioES said:
    I usually record 8 or 16-bar loops, so those aren't affected too much by the drift.

Strange. I am finding that sending MIDI Clock and not doing IAA or Audiobus Start seems to work. What is weird is that with the Run/Stop/Clock optimism on turned on, the audio is played for the entire first slice but nothing else.

Is this your prefered method for longer sync'd sessions?

I haven't confirmed in a long session that Sector keeps tight-sync with MIDI Clock -- with other apps that support it, I have found Audiobus/IAA Sync to be solid. The Sector projects that I am creating are constantly varying -- so I am planning on more extended recording than 16 bar loops if the sync is working.

• @espiegel123 said:

@StudioES said:

The RUN/STOP & CLOCK 'issue' occurs in other hosts too, not just Audiobus 3. AUM for example. I just use RUN/STOP ONLY since it follows the IAA host's tempo just fine, & doesn't produce that 'staccato effect'.

Sadly, run/stop by itself doesn't necessarily stay tightly synced over an extended period (as expected since there isn't any sync).

There is sync on “start/stop only” via IAA. You can easily confirm this by changing the tempo in AB and Sector responds immediately.
    If it gets out of sync it’s another problem.

The settings I use and work are

• I will look into this. But I haven't been able to reproduce it either.

Is it happening with all your SECTOR projects or only some?

• edited October 2019

With the settings I posted it stays tight for me
    Edit: iOS 12.3 , iPad 6 gen (2018)

• @j_liljedahl said:
    I will look into this. But I haven't been able to reproduce it either.

Is it happening with all your SECTOR projects or only some?

It has happened with every one that I have created. I'll see if it happens with the supplied projects.

• @Korakios said:
    With the settings I posted it stays tight for me
    Edit: iOS 12.3 , iPad 6 gen (2018)

As Jonatan explained, run/stop listens to start, stop and tempo commands. So without sync , it will still follow tempo changes.