Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3

123457»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:
    Can the Launchkey Mini Mk3 change the midi channels of the knobs as well (if not the pads, since I think they're stuck in Ch 10)? I literally can't find any info on this. All that's mentioned in the manual is it can be used change the midi channel of the keyboard.

The Mk2 series can at least change the channels of the knobs (from what I've read of the Mini 25 manual, and from my experience with my Launchkey 61).

Although based on my recent troubles with mapping my Launchkey 61... might go with an Akai Mini or the Minilab 😂 I really want a more normal key 25 key midi keyboard as an alternative to my Nanokey Studio 😂 I can't play that thing without looking at the keys all the time 😂 The Minilab's horizontal 8 pads and lack of non-endless encoders is just the bummer with it.

Nope! Major bonehead move. All controls are on the main/master channel. Makes it’s value waaaayyyy lower.

It’s stupid. My ancient maudio axiom blows this (and to be honest most newly released) midi controller out of the water. It’s just so damn big...

Hey just confirming, when you mean main channel, do you mean it's like stuck in Channel 1 or Channel 16? Or is it that the channel of the knobs follow the channel of the keyboard, like shift + transpose + pad# change then knobs follow?

If the Launchkey Mini Mk3 doesn't do that following the channel of the keyboard that's so much of a bummer! Too reliant on scripts :O

Just to triple check, this question was answered with a no? The knobs are stuck to 1 channel and it is not possible to use them on different channels?

I have a mk2 and wrote a Mozaic script that I use to sit between the launchkey and other MIDI apps -- and have set it up so that I can map the lkey's midi to whatever I want. I set up pages so that I could have different sets of dials that I can page through. It is fairly easy to set that up in Mozaic or Streambyter.

Do you happen to have a copy of the script with you? Wondering if I could modify it for my Launchkey.

I will post it on patchstorage when I test a few recent changes. Probably in the coming week.

Awesome. Looking forward to it. I'm brushing up on my skills this week, haha.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:
    Can the Launchkey Mini Mk3 change the midi channels of the knobs as well (if not the pads, since I think they're stuck in Ch 10)? I literally can't find any info on this. All that's mentioned in the manual is it can be used change the midi channel of the keyboard.

The Mk2 series can at least change the channels of the knobs (from what I've read of the Mini 25 manual, and from my experience with my Launchkey 61).

Although based on my recent troubles with mapping my Launchkey 61... might go with an Akai Mini or the Minilab 😂 I really want a more normal key 25 key midi keyboard as an alternative to my Nanokey Studio 😂 I can't play that thing without looking at the keys all the time 😂 The Minilab's horizontal 8 pads and lack of non-endless encoders is just the bummer with it.

Nope! Major bonehead move. All controls are on the main/master channel. Makes it’s value waaaayyyy lower.

It’s stupid. My ancient maudio axiom blows this (and to be honest most newly released) midi controller out of the water. It’s just so damn big...

Hey just confirming, when you mean main channel, do you mean it's like stuck in Channel 1 or Channel 16? Or is it that the channel of the knobs follow the channel of the keyboard, like shift + transpose + pad# change then knobs follow?

If the Launchkey Mini Mk3 doesn't do that following the channel of the keyboard that's so much of a bummer! Too reliant on scripts :O

Just to triple check, this question was answered with a no? The knobs are stuck to 1 channel and it is not possible to use them on different channels?

I have a mk2 and wrote a Mozaic script that I use to sit between the launchkey and other MIDI apps -- and have set it up so that I can map the lkey's midi to whatever I want. I set up pages so that I could have different sets of dials that I can page through. It is fairly easy to set that up in Mozaic or Streambyter.

Do you happen to have a copy of the script with you? Wondering if I could modify it for my Launchkey.

I will post it on patchstorage when I test a few recent changes. Probably in the coming week.

I have posted my current version of the software (which is for the Launchkey Mini Mark 2) here

https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-helper/

It works well for me. I didn't have time to put together notes about how to set things up. I'll try to get that done in the next day or two -- but maybe it will be helpful anyway.

• @espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

I have posted my current version of the software (which is for the Launchkey Mini Mark 2) here

It works well for me. I didn't have time to put together notes about how to set things up. I'll try to get that done in the next day or two -- but maybe it will be helpful anyway.

Use the shift key to switch between settings pages. When you hold a pad down on the settings pages, use the knobs on the layout to set the associated setting for the pad being held down.

• @espiegel123 said:

Hello @espiegel123 unfortunately it doesn't work on MK3.
    Mainly the Mini MK3 no longer has an inControl mode but uses the "LaunchKey Midi MK3 DAW Port" midi port for the input of NoteON and NoteOFF messages and Velocity to change the colors of the pads and the "LaunchKey Midi MK3 MIDI Port" port for use it as a controller.
    To change the colors of the pads just send the following messages to the DAW port:

• each of the 16 pads responds to a note from 36 to 51
    • colors change with noteOn and noteOFF velocity (0 to 127 different colors)
    • the status of the lights changes with the midi channel, channel 10 the lights are fixed, channel 12 the lights pulse

Would it be possible for you to modify your script to work with MK3 too?
    Thanks a lot

• @Tatobx said:

@espiegel123 said:

Hello @espiegel123 unfortunately it doesn't work on MK3.
    Mainly the Mini MK3 no longer has an inControl mode but uses the "LaunchKey Midi MK3 DAW Port" midi port for the input of NoteON and NoteOFF messages and Velocity to change the colors of the pads and the "LaunchKey Midi MK3 MIDI Port" port for use it as a controller.
    To change the colors of the pads just send the following messages to the DAW port:

• each of the 16 pads responds to a note from 36 to 51
    • colors change with noteOn and noteOFF velocity (0 to 127 different colors)
    • the status of the lights changes with the midi channel, channel 10 the lights are fixed, channel 12 the lights pulse

Would it be possible for you to modify your script to work with MK3 too?
    Thanks a lot

I don't have a Mark 3. I can look at the code and suggest where to make changes. Btw, what you describe is not very different from how mark 2 works. Both use separate ports for communicating regular MIDI and "host midi"

It sounds like the main difference is not having the ability to turn off in-control mode and the note numbers for the pads.i'll take a look later today.

• @espiegel123 said:

I don't have a Mark 3. I can look at the code and suggest where to make changes. Btw, what you describe is not very different from how mark 2 works. Both use separate ports for communicating regular MIDI and "host midi"

It sounds like the main difference is not having the ability to turn off in-control mode and the note numbers for the pads.i'll take a look later today.

Thanks that would be great!

• @Tatobx said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks that would be great!

I have uploaded an update that uses constants (variables) for the pad numbers to make it easier to update for a Mark 3. Just change the two constants related to the pad rows found in the OnLoad section.

Look for
    padTopFirst
    padBottomFirst

There are also notes at the top about what to look at to change the color handling. I think you can probably just adjust the knob handling so that the knob can assign a range from 0 to 127 rather than 0 to 15 and then bypass the translation of the index to a raw color. You can just store and assign the number you receive from the knob.

• @espiegel123 said:

I have uploaded an update that uses constants (variables) for the pad numbers to make it easier to update for a Mark 3. Just change the two constants related to the pad rows found in the OnLoad section.

Look for
    padTopFirst
    padBottomFirst

There are also notes at the top about what to look at to change the color handling. I think you can probably just adjust the knob handling so that the knob can assign a range from 0 to 127 rather than 0 to 15 and then bypass the translation of the index to a raw color. You can just store and assign the number you receive from the knob.

Sorry but it's too much for me, I tried to edit the script but I can't get it to work.
    The notes of the pads are not consecutive and are organized like this.
    Top row - 40, 41, 42, 43, 48, 49, 50, 51.
    Bottom row - 36, 37, 38, 39, 44, 45, 46, 47
    But I changed padTopFirst and padBottomFirst to see if the rest of the parameters were changed and I only get that one pad block is fixed on orange color and the others are off.
    Any parameter modified on the Mozaic interface (button status, group, etc.) is not reflected on the Launchkey

@wim on another thread wrote me another script that works fine but I have to manually change the variable values and doesn’t have the other features of your script.
    If it can help it is this:

@Description
      Toggle Launchkey pad lights on and off.
      Example only: NOT tested.
      Route Launchkey in parallel to the app to be played and to this script.
      Route this script to the "Launchkey DAW" port (I think).
    @End

@OnLoad

// You can set the pad colors individually in the arrays below.
      // Colors can be found in the Launchkey MK3 Programmers Reference Manual
      // 21 is a shade of green. 0 is black. 

oncolor[36] = [7,7,7,7,14,14,14,14,7,7,7,7,14,14,14,14]
      offcolor[36] = [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]

// You can also set color behavior by midi channel below
      // Stationary color = midi channel 10 (mozaic 9)
      // Pulsing = midi channel 12 (mozaic 11)
      colorchannel[36] = [11,11,11,11,9,9,9,9,11,11,11,11,9,9,9,9]

ResetNoteStates FALSE
    @End

@OnMidiNoteOn

// Check to be sure notes received are from the pads
      // This will need enhancement if custom channels or notes are used.
      if MIDIChannel = 9 and MIDINote >= 36 and MIDINote <= 51

// Toggle the note state between TRUE and FALSE
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote,(not GetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote)

if (GetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote) = TRUE
          SendMIDINoteOn colorchannel[MIDINote], MIDINote, oncolor[MIDINote]
        else
          SendMIDINoteOn colorchannel[MIDINote], MIDINote, offcolor[MIDINote]
        endif
      endif

@End

Thanks again and sorry if I wasted your time

• @Tatobx said:

@espiegel123 said:

Look for
    padTopFirst
    padBottomFirst

Sorry but it's too much for me, I tried to edit the script but I can't get it to work.
    The notes of the pads are not consecutive and are organized like this.
    Top row - 40, 41, 42, 43, 48, 49, 50, 51.
    Bottom row - 36, 37, 38, 39, 44, 45, 46, 47
    But I changed padTopFirst and padBottomFirst to see if the rest of the parameters were changed and I only get that one pad block is fixed on orange color and the others are off.
    Any parameter modified on the Mozaic interface (button status, group, etc.) is not reflected on the Launchkey

@wim on another thread wrote me another script that works fine but I have to manually change the variable values and doesn’t have the other features of your script.
    If it can help it is this:

@Description
      Toggle Launchkey pad lights on and off.
      Example only: NOT tested.
      Route Launchkey in parallel to the app to be played and to this script.
      Route this script to the "Launchkey DAW" port (I think).
    @End

@OnLoad

// You can set the pad colors individually in the arrays below.
      // Colors can be found in the Launchkey MK3 Programmers Reference Manual
      // 21 is a shade of green. 0 is black. 

oncolor[36] = [7,7,7,7,14,14,14,14,7,7,7,7,14,14,14,14]
      offcolor[36] = [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]

// You can also set color behavior by midi channel below
      // Stationary color = midi channel 10 (mozaic 9)
      // Pulsing = midi channel 12 (mozaic 11)
      colorchannel[36] = [11,11,11,11,9,9,9,9,11,11,11,11,9,9,9,9]

ResetNoteStates FALSE
    @End

@OnMidiNoteOn

// Check to be sure notes received are from the pads
      // This will need enhancement if custom channels or notes are used.
      if MIDIChannel = 9 and MIDINote >= 36 and MIDINote <= 51

// Toggle the note state between TRUE and FALSE
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote,(not GetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote)

if (GetNoteState MIDIChannel,MIDINote) = TRUE
          SendMIDINoteOn colorchannel[MIDINote], MIDINote, oncolor[MIDINote]
        else
          SendMIDINoteOn colorchannel[MIDINote], MIDINote, offcolor[MIDINote]
        endif
      endif

@End

Thanks again and sorry if I wasted your time

Maybe you can find someone with a mark 3 willing to collaborate on building something of the mark 2 code I provided. The pads not being sequential will make things a bit messier. But not terribly so. On the mark 2, the pads are broken into two sequential groups (96 to 103 and 112 to 119)

From what you describe the Mark 3 has the pads broken into 4 groups of consecutive pads. There are only a few lines of code that need to be changed to accommodate that. Maybe someone can work with you or do it for you.

• @espiegel123 said:

Maybe you can find someone with a mark 3 willing to collaborate on building something of the mark 2 code I provided. The pads not being sequential will make things a bit messier. But not terribly so. On the mark 2, the pads are broken into two sequential groups (96 to 103 and 112 to 119)

From what you describe the Mark 3 has the pads broken into 4 groups of consecutive pads. There are only a few lines of code that need to be changed to accommodate that. Maybe someone can work with you or do it for you.

Thanks, I hope someone can help me

• @Tatobx said:

@espiegel123 said:

You may want to post a request in the Mozaic request thread.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tatobx said:

I've already written something like this there and I also created a guess Mozaic interface but I didn't get help at the moment.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/881909/#Comment_881909

@wim might be a good candidate to do this, he wrote the piece of code I'm using right now, but he's currently busy with other projects.

• @Tatobx said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tatobx said:

I've already written something like this there and I also created a guess Mozaic interface but I didn't get help at the moment.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/881909/#Comment_881909

@wim might be a good candidate to do this, he wrote the piece of code I'm using right now, but he's currently busy with other projects.

I honestly think that if you spent an hour or two (maybe less) with the Mozaic manual, you would be able to understand enough to modify the code I posted with a few hints -- which I'd be happy to provide.

Short version: there are a couple of places in the code that check to see if the incoming message is from one of the pads. In my case I check to see if it is within the range of the upper and lower rows. For the mark 3, you make a change to the line of code that checks that range to by checking the against the boundaries of 4 groups rather than 2 groups.

• Thanks @espiegel123 Been away for a bit but thanks for the reply. Will look into it.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Thanks @espiegel123 Been away for a bit but thanks for the reply. Will look into it.

I thought I'd have my usage notes ready -- but haven't had time. Short version. The shift key advances through the settings pages. On the settings pages, while you hold a pad down in Mozaic, the knobs will become labeled with settings they change. So, hold a pad and dial in the settings. On the groups page, you are setting the properties for the group that a pad is in. (All pads in a group share the same color scheme -- which you can set). On that page, the pads in Mozaic represent groups (there can be up to 8 groups). On the other settings pages, the settings are for the pad on the Launchkey.

• @SMKArtist said:
    I just got my LaunchKey Mini MK3. I love it! However, since I am completely only using iPad Pro for ALL of my computer needs (just retired the desktop a month ago) I have no access to Novation Components . I will be using a friends computer to set up custom templates in my LaunchKey 3. Can anyone tell me how many custom modes/templates one can have on their LaunchKey Mini MK3?

Novation really needs to give iPad musicians the option to at least buy Components for their new LaunchPad mini and LaunchKey mini MK3s. Hey @AmpifyxNovation can you guys help make this happen? There is no reason to continue to leave iOS musicians without a truly mobile way of editing their templates for their Novation controllers. Again please make this a premium app to buy.

Alright, that’s it from me.

Thanks to the help of @wim on another thread, that made all the code, on Patchstorage there is a script for Mozaic to configure color behavior for Launchkey Mini MK3 pads (DRUM MODE ONLY).
    With it you can do things on iOS that you can't even do on a mac/pc with Novation Componets!
    Enjoy it

https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

• @Tatobx said:

@SMKArtist said:
    I just got my LaunchKey Mini MK3. I love it! However, since I am completely only using iPad Pro for ALL of my computer needs (just retired the desktop a month ago) I have no access to Novation Components . I will be using a friends computer to set up custom templates in my LaunchKey 3. Can anyone tell me how many custom modes/templates one can have on their LaunchKey Mini MK3?

Novation really needs to give iPad musicians the option to at least buy Components for their new LaunchPad mini and LaunchKey mini MK3s. Hey @AmpifyxNovation can you guys help make this happen? There is no reason to continue to leave iOS musicians without a truly mobile way of editing their templates for their Novation controllers. Again please make this a premium app to buy.

Alright, that’s it from me.

Thanks to the help of @wim on another thread, that made all the code, on Patchstorage there is a script for Mozaic to configure color behavior for Launchkey Mini MK3 pads (DRUM MODE ONLY).
    With it you can do things on iOS that you can't even do on a mac/pc with Novation Componets!
    Enjoy it

https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

Thanks @Tatobx ! Just now seeing this. Have been off of Audiobus for a long while. Just want to let you know I appreciate your post.

• edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Wow man, you just blew my mind! I don’t have mosaic and I’ve ignored all the buzz because I suffer from codophobia but this looks super useful. The only thing I miss on my mk 2 is to be able to see if I’m in mute mode or not and I’m currently blind and have to bring Drambo to the foreground to verify it.

One consideration though. Do you find power issues when having all those leds lit? I’m guessing you’re using a usb c iPad? I have several controllers already hooked up to my pro 11 so I doubt it will tollerate a light show like that ;)

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Wow man, you just blew my mind! I don’t have mosaic and I’ve ignored all the buzz because I suffer from codophobia but this looks super useful. The only thing I miss on my mk 2 is to be able to see if I’m in mute mode or not and I’m currently blind and have to bring Drambo to the foreground to verify it.

One consideration though. Do you find power issues when having all those leds lit? I’m guessing you’re using a usb c iPad? I have several controllers already hooked up to my pro 11 so I doubt it will tollerate a light show like that ;)

I have an iPad 6 with CCK. I don't have any issues wth the LEDs

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

But it is the only controller you have connected right?

• @wim said:
    Can anyone tell if you can change the output channel on-board? Not being able to change channels from the unit is my biggest gripe with the NanoKEY Studio.

I’d love to see a 49 key version of this.

I agree, switching midi channels is super useful. I’m thinking about switching the nanokey studio for this.
    Pros

• midi channel switching
    • More “traditional” keys, those on the nanokey are a bit too weird.
    • Play / rec buttons , really useful.
    • Hopefully integrates with LK and other Clío launching apps (Zenbeats)
    • Been wanting to try the novation pad concept, having keys is a good chance, if it doesn’t Clío I still have the keys.

Cons?

• I find it hard to work with arp types and scales on the nanokey without a screen or display to see what scale you’re on. You sort have to remember or right it down... seems it also the case on this one.
    • No Bluetooth!. That’s a big one... I love the Bluetooth functionality in the nanokey. Maybe a cheap dongle?. Anyone recommend a dongle that could make this Bluetooth?. Wait... no batteries so you’d still need to plug it... that’s definitely a win for nanokey studio.
  • How does the Launchkey mini mk3 compare to the launchkey 25 mk3 ?. Link
    Same number of keys but a lot bigger and heavier, it does have a scale mode and a little display... wonder if the little display is helpful with scales and such, as I commented before that’s sort of hard to do in nanokey studio.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Let’s continue the convo over on the thread about the Mark II and this script:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43223/launchkey-mini-mk-2-helper-script

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Let’s continue the convo over on the thread about the Mark II and this script:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43223/launchkey-mini-mk-2-helper-script

Got a bit sidetracked for the past few weeks...apologies. Didnt get the chance to test the script. I've set some time this weekend to go over the script. Thanks again for the video on the script. Just saw the other thread.

• @tahiche said:
    How does the Launchkey mini mk3 compare to the launchkey 25 mk3 ?. Link
    Same number of keys but a lot bigger and heavier, it does have a scale mode and a little display... wonder if the little display is helpful with scales and such, as I commented before that’s sort of hard to do in nanokey studio.

So the Launchkey Mini mk3 has a scale mode for pads but only when using the components software that needs a desktop to run... right?. Basically means no scale mode on iPad. So you’re stuck with a “c minor” or whatever and no possibility to change from the device?. Would it be possible to change scales via Mozaic as a workaround?.